Singapore Expats

Safe to give out NRIC number?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sg1234

Safe to give out NRIC number?

Post by sg1234 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:22 pm

I saw an ad (posted by recruit experess) on gumtree for a part time job and to apply you need to give in NRIC/fin number. Before doing so I SMSed him about more details of the job, like exact location, company name etc, to which he replied that you need to give NRIC number and follow format of application.

As there are no other part time jobs for 1 month to fit in my preferences, I want to apply for the job, but the agent seems shady.

So should I give out the NRIC number or is this common practice in Singapore?

Many thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Safe to give out NRIC number?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:28 pm

I'd give it a miss if I were you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sg1234

Post by sg1234 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, then aside from the job is it safe to hand out the NRIC number to anyone?
Like, are there any cases of identity theft, or is there a two step verification process (NRIC + fingerprint to match)?

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 4:24 pm

you wouldn't want to hand out NRIC number to anyone unless you know for what purpose
the problem is when someone uses your NRIC number to scam people or maybe register and have access to private property or clubs to commit crime

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 9:44 pm

When I lived in Singapore, every last drawing, every last contest, every last deal, required that people cough up their NRIC numbers, their phone numbers. I refused to do it... who knows what they will do with the info... and with NRIC they know exactly who you are. But, that didn't stop the minions from signing up in droves, and I've not heard of a case of NRIC fraud in Singapore.

sg1234

Post by sg1234 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you for the advice.
Also most of the part time ads posted by recruit express Pte ltd require this format to apply:
Name:
NRIC:
Area you stay:
Commitment:
There was a recruit first Pte ltd job ad which didn't require the NRIC number or the "area you stay part"
I messaged him and he replied to all my queries (didn't get the job as I am a foreigner)

This recruit express Pte ltd appeares to be a scam, however searching up on google showed up nothing like that ( it did show many people having bad expierence with rude and unprofessional agents though). And most of the part time, 1 month jobs are listed by them, and are the same type of jobs listed over and over and over again.

So do you think this company is legit? In the future, if i get a longer vacation, do you reccomend to go through them?

Many thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Safe to give out NRIC number?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 1:01 pm

sg1234 wrote:.

So do you think this company is legit? In the future, if i get a longer vacation, do you reccomend to go through them?

Many thanks
Are you asking if Recruit express is legit ?

Seriously ?

They have been in the business quite long ....

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 4:34 pm

Recruit express is legit and used to be reputable...but now service went downhill

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Safe to give out NRIC number?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 6:31 pm

menudown wrote:Recruit express is legit and used to be reputable...but now service went downhill
But ... still they are legit :roll:

I believe they diversified into doing short term / temporary / event based placement ... and then onwards they went down...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:06 pm

If it's short term stuff maybe they want your NRIC to verify that you are authorized to work.