Singapore Expats

Paying rent by Credit Card

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
xenobia

Paying rent by Credit Card

Post by xenobia » Thu, 31 May 2012 4:08 pm

I wanted to find out if I can pay rent by credit card. It wasn't possible in the US, but checking to see if it works in Singapore. Main reason being to earn more miles on my card.

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 May 2012 8:25 pm

I seriously doubt it.

a) As a landlord, I'd need to be a merchant capable of taking credit cards. I don't know that I'd get that status.

b) If I did get merchant status, you would need to pay all my transaction fees for me to consider it.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 31 May 2012 9:11 pm

Bottom line - ain't gonna happen unless you're renting a Serviced Apartment...

xenobia

Post by xenobia » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:08 am

Thanks a bunch for the info.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 1:27 am

Lots of the places I stayed in California did this. I actually did it (but with a debit card), because I hated writing checks and the places had a $24 fee to do electronic withdrawal.

That said, most of those landlords were large corporations. In Singapore, units are almost always individually owned. Try and work it out with your landlord. Maybe they'll take Paypal if you cover the fees.

Also, I pay my LL by POSB transfer. I notice POSB iBanking gives me the option of choosing one of my linked CC's as the funding source. Not sure if this would grant mileage though.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 6:40 am

aster wrote:Bottom line - ain't gonna happen unless you're renting a Serviced Apartment...
Agreed but my close friend did this my using CC only because LL owns a company and has the means to allow this.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

AndyWillie
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyWillie » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:11 pm

Not quite sure if mileage would be given for bank transfer here in sg though. I know for posb, you can get 1% cash rebate for recurring bills if you pay using their credit card. But like the rest have said, unless you're renting a Service Apartment or LL is a merchant.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Paying rent by Credit Card

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 3:15 am

Interesting that you brought this up again. I think a LL could more easily take credit cards for rent these days as there are literally dozens of companies that can quickly set you up with a smartphone app and a $50 reader. The processing costs can be steep and there may be limits to each individual charge. But, I could be doable.

I pay my property taxes via CC. I have to pay a CC transaction fee to the tax collector to pay by CC but when I compute the number of miles I get by paying the fee versus the cost to buy miles, it's a no brainer.