Singapore Expats

More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Post by AndrewV » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:12 am

What do you'll think of this latest measure by the govt.
Personally I am for the fact that now companies will have to display the salary range in the jobsbank site. Gives people a better idea when trying to look for a job rather than waste their time

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 12:46 pm

AndrewV wrote:What do you'll think of this latest measure by the govt.
Personally I am for the fact that now companies will have to display the salary range in the jobsbank site. Gives people a better idea when trying to look for a job rather than waste their time
you see, the point is, regardless of displaying the ad, and salary in Jobsbank, some companies (A minority I believe) have zero interest in employing a local talent, for example, the employers already found an expat employee, or maybe an internal transfer, and the Jobsbank et al was just an eye wash. Because they wanted that specific candidate, and nobody, for the specific candidates value or whatever, in growing their business

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Re: More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Post by AndrewV » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 3:55 pm

ecureilx wrote:
you see, the point is, regardless of displaying the ad, and salary in Jobsbank, some companies (A minority I believe) have zero interest in employing a local talent, for example, the employers already found an expat employee, or maybe an internal transfer, and the Jobsbank et al was just an eye wash. Because they wanted that specific candidate, and nobody, for the specific candidates value or whatever, in growing their business
yes, i suppose the government won't really find fault with that.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 4:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Why do the Government persist with this charade then?

How much does the Jobsbank cost to maintain?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 4:52 pm

Barnsley wrote: Why do the Government persist with this charade then?

How much does the Jobsbank cost to maintain?
I won't call it a charade

For those fence sitters, the jobs bank gives them a nudge..

Known a few who had to resort to the jobs bank due to lack of quota

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: More support for local PME's and Wage support for hiring out of work older singaporeans

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 8:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:

I am pretty sure that this is common, but then I don't know whether they do this because

A) they don't want to hire a local

Or

B) they know that they aren't going to get a good local so not worth the time and effort.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 2:49 pm

I hired two local guys last year.......because I deliberately went out looking for one. In the end I took two because I couldn't decide which I needed more (different fields) so took both for different functions.

I got two local guys for the price of one expat (with costs etc.) .....financially makes sense though, yes, there are limitations. There again, there are limits with expats as well, just different ones.

All this "can't find locals" at least in my line was utter horse poo (Friday, being polite before Happy Hour).
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 3:33 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:. horse poo

You missed the P at the end :P

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 3:44 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:. horse poo

You missed the P at the end :P

Sorry, but I'm older than three years. :cool:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 4:51 pm

Sadly, I'm in an industry where we can't get locals to work, and would take any that apply via jobsbank (where we advertise all the time as well as the newspapers, et al). And I'm still 8 over quota and looking at a rather grim September-December as I'm playing revolving door with locals.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 5:01 pm

we had a local quit at work today, basically he's a new grad right out of school, they gave him a title of account manager lol, he'd come and see me on a daily basis about what to ask his customers, he knew 0, he was a friendly chap but technically very incompetent, it'll be interesting to see where he goes and what he does, I bet he's leveraging this manager title of his to catapult him to future glory.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:06 am

Anecdotally, I think what is already happening (and has been going this way for a number of years) is that a lot of companies are moving back office-type of functions to either India or the Phines. And when they can't fill a more senior role in Sing it just goes to Hong Kong, back to the mothership, or goes unfilled.

I don't really see how the latest moves are going to change that. Sing is caught in the difficult position of not really being a knowledge centre/entrepreneurial/growth economy, and not being competitive as a back-office job centre. They seem to want to force companies to turn the local hires into good candidates to grow the former. Don't think that will work! I suppose that they will always have a baseline of industry here as long as they remain a place that more or less respects the rule of law. But any more than that? Those days are long gone.

Instead of having an honest dialogue about the difficult situation Sing is in they seem to be just fanning the "blame the foreigners" sentiment. Which will only increase the number of roles being relocated out of Sing.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 1:53 pm

+1

I believe we are seeing the end of an era. So many people I know have left or are planning to, and there is less and less for people to come her to to keep things running as they were.

All things must pass.
movingtospore wrote:Anecdotally, I think what is already happening (and has been going this way for a number of years) is that a lot of companies are moving back office-type of functions to either India or the Phines. And when they can't fill a more senior role in Sing it just goes to Hong Kong, back to the mothership, or goes unfilled.

I don't really see how the latest moves are going to change that. Sing is caught in the difficult position of not really being a knowledge centre/entrepreneurial/growth economy, and not being competitive as a back-office job centre. They seem to want to force companies to turn the local hires into good candidates to grow the former. Don't think that will work! I suppose that they will always have a baseline of industry here as long as they remain a place that more or less respects the rule of law. But any more than that? Those days are long gone.

Instead of having an honest dialogue about the difficult situation Sing is in they seem to be just fanning the "blame the foreigners" sentiment. Which will only increase the number of roles being relocated out of Sing.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 9:15 am

Brah wrote:+1

I believe we are seeing the end of an era. So many people I know have left or are planning to, and there are less and less opportunities and economic rationale for people to come her to to keep things running as they were.

All things must pass.
movingtospore wrote:Anecdotally, I think what is already happening (and has been going this way for a number of years) is that a lot of companies are moving back office-type of functions to either India or the Phines. And when they can't fill a more senior role in Sing it just goes to Hong Kong, back to the mothership, or goes unfilled.

Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:15 pm

the govt is afraid of entrepreneurial types. they are chased away or snuffed off. the reason is to basic to insist. rather, they prefer either temasek-controlled entities or small momma/papa unambitious backstores.

as a consequence, "the money" always come from outside. they are just taking a tax on foreign-owned businesses (which have the "privilege" to do business in sg). with the new regulations, now they pretty much want to tell people what to do with their money (it works with their kind, why wouldn't it work with the others, lah?). obviously, this is going to work!!