Singapore Expats

Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:16 pm

bro75 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
my wife tentatively remain SPR due to my property in Malaysia, once we sell out, she will convert as well.
I guess she remains Malaysian to own the MY property?

You've screwed this up to be honest. If you buy an HDB as PR or Citizen, you must dispose of your other properties within six months. You should have got rid of the Malaysian property so you could apply for citizenship as a family, then buy the HDB. As it stands you probably won't get the citizenship, but you can still buy the HDB as PRs (and pay an extra 5% stamp duty for the privilege!) and get rid of the MY property.

The fact you didn't apply together will smell fishy to the ICA I think.

And in my experience, Malaysian Chinese are very much applying and getting Singapore Citizenship - coz they blend in like locals and don't upset the applecart by appearing to be an influx of FT like PRC, Malays, Ang Mohs, Filipinos, Indians do. Anecdotally I reckon about 50% of all new citizens are Malaysian Chinese.
PR can buy private property overseas after their MOP (5 years) is completed. For earlier buyers (bef 2010) , the MOP is less than 1 year. This rule is also not retroactive to those who bought before 2010.
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... enDocument

Yeah the info is in the HDB. How old is your HDB? @Sp1d3rMan

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:20 pm

the lynx wrote:
bro75 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote: I guess she remains Malaysian to own the MY property?

You've screwed this up to be honest. If you buy an HDB as PR or Citizen, you must dispose of your other properties within six months. You should have got rid of the Malaysian property so you could apply for citizenship as a family, then buy the HDB. As it stands you probably won't get the citizenship, but you can still buy the HDB as PRs (and pay an extra 5% stamp duty for the privilege!) and get rid of the MY property.

The fact you didn't apply together will smell fishy to the ICA I think.

And in my experience, Malaysian Chinese are very much applying and getting Singapore Citizenship - coz they blend in like locals and don't upset the applecart by appearing to be an influx of FT like PRC, Malays, Ang Mohs, Filipinos, Indians do. Anecdotally I reckon about 50% of all new citizens are Malaysian Chinese.
PR can buy private property overseas after their MOP (5 years) is completed. For earlier buyers (bef 2010) , the MOP is less than 1 year. This rule is also not retroactive to those who bought before 2010.
http://www.hdb.gov.Singapore/fi10/fi103 ... enDocument

Still cannot buy. hahaha, i went to view unit, before we confirm purchase, Singapore Gov change rules. PR obtained after 3 years only can buy property in SG.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:24 pm

Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:
bro75 wrote: PR can buy private property overseas after their MOP (5 years) is completed. For earlier buyers (bef 2010) , the MOP is less than 1 year. This rule is also not retroactive to those who bought before 2010.
http://www.hdb.gov.Singapore/fi10/fi103 ... enDocument

Still cannot buy. hahaha, i went to view unit, before we confirm purchase, Singapore Gov change rules. PR obtained after 3 years only can buy property in Singapore.
Ah, your fourth post in the thread implied that you already owned one. The wonders of text without context.

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:33 pm

the lynx wrote:
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote: http://www.hdb.gov.Singapore/fi10/fi103 ... enDocument

Still cannot buy. hahaha, i went to view unit, before we confirm purchase, Singapore Gov change rules. PR obtained after 3 years only can buy property in Singapore.
Ah, your fourth post in the thread implied that you already owned one. The wonders of text without context.
Oops~ they were just telling me that if i owned 1, i could buy after MOP 5 yrs. :wink:

Bakulii
Regular
Regular

Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Post by Bakulii » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 2:07 pm

Sp1d3rman,

I'm just sharing my case to give you hope.

- Malaysian, late 40's
- 6 years in Spore, 4 years PR during application
- Wife and Son SPR but did not apply for SC with me (see my previous post for reasons)
- No questions from ICA on reasons for sole application
- Do not own condo or HDB here (and no, I don't have a big fat bank account :) )
- In Principle Approval received after 7 months of waiting

Good Luck!

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:49 am

Dear Bakulii,

Congrats to you!!! thanks for sharing your good news with me~ :D

Hope things turn well at all cause the officer did ask me about why my wife not apply as a family together.

non the less, i see hope!~ :wink:

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:30 pm

Dear All,

Just an update.

Till now still waiting for a favorable outcome. Time waiting : 9 months + 3 days
Updated ICA with some changes in my income and designation in April.

Cheers~

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 1:14 pm

Dear All,

Another update.

ICA officer contacted me for me and my wife's employment status.
he also asking for our latest 6 months payslip, cpf contribution and 3 yrs IRAS record.

Thanks~

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 1:51 pm

Sp1d3rMan wrote:Dear All,

Another update.

he also asking for our latest 6 months payslip, cpf contribution and 3 yrs IRAS record.

Thanks~
Strange, wouldn't they already have those information when you submitted the application that time? And wouldn't they cross-check with IRAS and CPF?

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 4:00 pm

the lynx wrote:
Sp1d3rMan wrote:Dear All,

Another update.

Thanks~
Strange, wouldn't they already have those information when you submitted the application that time? And wouldn't they cross-check with IRAS and CPF?
they were asking for latest record. i also got update him on my promotional and increment. btw, he were also asking me whether i got work part time or not.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 4:54 pm

the lynx wrote: And wouldn't they cross-check with IRAS and CPF?
Nope, they don't...

They expect you to submit them, and its not wrong of them ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 5:37 pm

It can be also very well that the update you sent to them in April is still under processing (or something else) and you submitted your application in October last year so their requests are pretty justified. Not sure what does it mean, but I would interpret it positively and as an indication that you did not get immediately rejected and now they either want to confirm your status before giving you "pass" or see whether anything changed that would allow them to give you "pass". My speculations only so don't get exited, ok?

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 9:46 am

x9200 wrote:It can be also very well that the update you sent to them in April is still under processing (or something else) and you submitted your application in October last year so their requests are pretty justified. Not sure what does it mean, but I would interpret it positively and as an indication that you did not get immediately rejected and now they either want to confirm your status before giving you "pass" or see whether anything changed that would allow them to give you "pass". My speculations only so don't get exited, ok?
Thanks x9200~ Im cool. just treat everything normal. :D will update here again once i got favorable reply from them.

8-)

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:20 am

Update on my application.

Still pending, going to 11months. Went to submit my sponsorship application for my wife, 1st assessment of eligibility done, appointment to submit documents on end of Nov. seems like the queue to obtain the interview session by earliest 6AM attract their attention.

I wonder, will they holding up to grant more Citizenship due to Election is coming?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 24 Aug 2015 2:06 pm

Sp1d3rMan wrote:I wonder, will they holding up to grant more Citizenship due to Election is coming?
Maybe throttled, due to election and post election, it may be further throttled !! That's my guess

In a recent Dialogue, one of the minister had mentioned 6.9 and the crowd burst in laughter and that had sort of angered the minister - and she seemed very miffed why the people are laughing .. just mentioning 6.9