Singapore Expats

Need help in reading my tenancy agreement

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
jodynoom

Need help in reading my tenancy agreement

Post by jodynoom » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 6:48 am

Hi,

I really want to break my tenancy agreement and get away from this place as the landlord harasses me with a bunch of text messages!

My TA goes when I terminate before my minimum stay, the security deposit will be forfeited. In this case, can I assume that I don't have to pay my rent for the rest of my contract period and only lose my security deposit?

Or if my owner comes after me by a court claim, do I still owe the rental for the remaining period?
Please help me with this!!!

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Need help in reading my tenancy agreement

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 7:06 am

You owe the rent. I've never seen an agreement that didn't have this clause... you break the TA, you still owe money for the whole lease period. Some people, aware that they will not get their deposit back, withhold paying the last month or two of rent but this is not technically legal and the LL could come back on you.

How long before your lease is up? What kind of text harassment? About paying the rent on time? Or about wanting to take you to bed?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 8:24 am

jodynoom wrote:Hi,

I really want to break my tenancy agreement and get away from this place as the landlord harasses me with a bunch of text messages!

My TA goes when I terminate before my minimum stay, the security deposit will be forfeited. In this case, can I assume that I don't have to pay my rent for the rest of my contract period and only lose my security deposit?

Or if my owner comes after me by a court claim, do I still owe the rental for the remaining period?
Please help me with this!!!
You owe him at least what he is going to lose as a result of your action. It could be more than the security deposit but without any details is impossible to tell. Compensation components may include:
- difference in rent (for a new tenant)
- prorated agent's commission
- money equivalent for the time the apartment remains vacant (assuming advertised rent is reasonable)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 8:57 am

submit a Police Report

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 9:23 am

martincymru wrote:submit a Police Report
Agree. If he is criminally harassing you, a police report will cover your bottoms when you break the lease due to criminal nature of your LL.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:11 am

Before knowing what is this harassment like and about I would not advise to contact the police. People are very subjective in what they perceive as a harassment and not all such subjective harassment is criminal.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:49 am

we wouldn't know what the harassment is all about.. but if there is criminal intimidation and you fear of your safety...then I would advise you to make a police report

jodynoom

Post by jodynoom » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:06 am

I feel I cant break the lease then. Sigh.. This harassment cant be criminally illegal. The landlord likes to spam me with the contract or house rules (such as how often i should maintain the air con units and all) and it goes like beyond 10 messages 2-3 times a week even i say "noted thanks" and try to end it.)

It struck me that the owner does this intentionally so i kept all the receipts and all to protect my deposit but i ended up thinking this is bullying and i just wanna leave without the deposit and feel home elsewhere.

I dont know what's wrong with this person. I maintain and i pay my rent even before the day agreed. Frustrating to think the only thing i can do is just ignore and ignore sigh...

jodynoom

Post by jodynoom » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:07 am

Thank you all for your advices and information!!! I really appreciate you!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:15 am

jodynoom wrote:I feel I cant break the lease then. Sigh.. This harassment cant be criminally illegal. The landlord likes to spam me with the contract or house rules (such as how often i should maintain the air con units and all) and it goes like beyond 10 messages 2-3 times a week even i say "noted thanks" and try to end it.)

It struck me that the owner does this intentionally so i kept all the receipts and all to protect my deposit but i ended up thinking this is bullying and i just wanna leave without the deposit and feel home elsewhere.

I dont know what's wrong with this person. I maintain and i pay my rent even before the day agreed. Frustrating to think the only thing i can do is just ignore and ignore sigh...
Just tell him to f*ck off. Keep your receipts. Each time he texts, tell him to f*ck off. If nothing else, you'll feel better.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 12:19 pm

jodynoom wrote:I feel I cant break the lease then. Sigh.. This harassment cant be criminally illegal. The landlord likes to spam me with the contract or house rules (such as how often i should maintain the air con units and all) and it goes like beyond 10 messages 2-3 times a week even i say "noted thanks" and try to end it.)

It's just a minor annoyance so definitely not a reason for breaking the lease. Just block his messages on your phone (or change the number if not important to you). If he wants to contact you for anything more serious he will call you. He knows your address anyway.

aliyahmaricar84

Post by aliyahmaricar84 » Wed, 12 Aug 2015 9:59 am

Get ur house agent to help you. U can break the lease if staying there cause you mental anguished.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk