Singapore Expats

Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
RedRidingHood

Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by RedRidingHood » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 1:47 pm

We have a domestic helper who has every Sunday off. I did not keep her passport (despite others telling me I should) and the other day I asked for it as our landlord wanted a copy of it. This is when I realised that in the one year she has worked for us, she was in JB (Malaysia) and Batam 3 times in total.

We have no problem about our helper enjoying her day off but just asking if I should be worried about her going overseas on her day off? I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication? I did buy insurance for her that also covers Malaysia.

Is it common for FDWs to go overseas on their day off? I reckon they must be in JB for the cheap food/stuff etc?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by martincymru » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:01 pm

What's her nationality?
She may be "working" on her day off. That may ne a bigger problem.
I think it's illegal to keep her passport.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:02 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:We have a domestic helper who has every Sunday off. I did not keep her passport (despite others telling me I should) and the other day I asked for it as our landlord wanted a copy of it. This is when I realised that in the one year she has worked for us, she was in JB (Malaysia) and Batam 3 times in total.

We have no problem about our helper enjoying her day off but just asking if I should be worried about her going overseas on her day off? I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication? I did buy insurance for her that also covers Malaysia.

Is it common for FDWs to go overseas on their day off? I reckon they must be in JB for the cheap food/stuff etc?
Going to JB is the equivalent of going to the next city and going to the Batam is the equivalent of going to the beach. Or going to the next suburb/country/province/state/town. Yes, Singapore is that small.

Nothing illegal to worry about but if you're that worried, just ask her to inform you if she's going to another country for insurance reasons, peace of mind or whatever.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:03 pm

martincymru wrote:What's her nationality?
She may be "working" on her day off. That may ne a bigger problem.
I think it's illegal to keep her passport.

JB's known to be a cheaper place to go shopping and Batam's basically Singapore's resort town. I'll give the maid the benefit of the doubt but nothing like a candid, mature talk between adults won't sort out.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:27 pm

should be fine as long as she does not fail to return back within the off day

RedRidingHood

Post by RedRidingHood » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for the reassurance! I do trust her very much; just making sure I have not overlooked any MOM rules I am not aware of.

I don't think she's moonlighting cos she was out of Singapore only 3 times. But if anything, yes I would prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:55 pm

If you have no other warning signs, then I would not wary too much.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:59 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication?
You won't find anything, FDWs can travel with their pass. The fact that she has already done so also tells you that.

If she isn't shopping in JB then she probably has friends there. When maids are between contracts they are often sent to JB rather than going back home. I've known a few who have done just that and they have had friends from Sg visit. JB is a nice day out.

Foreign countries, so travel insurance of some form makes sense.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 6:32 am

bgd wrote:
RedRidingHood wrote:I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication?
You won't find anything, FDWs can travel with their pass. The fact that she has already done so also tells you that.

If she isn't shopping in JB then she probably has friends there. When maids are between contracts they are often sent to JB rather than going back home. I've known a few who have done just that and they have had friends from Sg visit. JB is a nice day out.

Foreign countries, so travel insurance of some form makes sense.
Moreover, if something were against some policy, she would not made it through immigration in the first place. And her not finding telling you she went to JB/Batam noteworthy is another assurance that it's a non-issue.

RedRidingHood

Post by RedRidingHood » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 9:49 am

Haha, I think I have read too much of the other forums giving advice on how to handle FDWs. Legal implication aside, I think another concern is her safety and well-being in another country. I believe if anything happens to her when she's out and about in another country, I'm legally responsible for making sure she comes back in one piece. That of course is something I'm responsible anyway even when she's in Singapore. But it gets a bit more tricky when it's dealing with overseas authorities.

I will tell her to inform me when she's overseas, simply for her own safety. Especially when she does not have auto-roaming!

Thanks for the replies btw.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:14 am

Having her insured for such trips would be also a good idea.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:52 am

RedRidingHood wrote:. Especially when she does not have auto-roaming.
This can actually be a major factor. Although Starhub used to have that on.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 3:19 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:. That of course is something I'm responsible anyway even when she's in Singapore..
Should she have an accident or anything, it's your responsibility ...

Ask her nicely who she is going with or why.

Beyond belief some do have relatives working on the other side of the border and have valid and good reason but makes you wonder if she can afford forays overseas.

Now if she flies off to different places on off days, tell her to get her benefactor to employ her ;) and relieve you of the headache ..

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Beyond belief some do have relatives working on the other side of the border and have valid and good reason but makes you wonder if she can afford forays overseas.
Isn't JB $3 on the bus from Kranji?

#-o #-o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:25 pm

maybe she prefer to spend time overseas to enjoy and take advantage of the exchange rate :mrgreen:
but cross finger.. if should anything bad happen while she's overseas .. you will have a bigger problem