Singapore Expats

Living in Woodlands, Woodhaven

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Koon

Living in Woodlands, Woodhaven

Post by Koon » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:40 pm

Hi,

My kids goes to SAS and we lived in Orchard area the past two years. Now, my wife wants to move to Woodlands to be closer to the school. We are looking to rent there and are considering the Woodhaven. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with the developer of Woodhaven, Far East? So far, we have viewed a few cluster houses there but every time we like a particular unit, Far East will purposely hike the asking price and offered lower price for other units. They did that 3 times so far and probably think they are good negotiator. We are fed up with them and don't know if we should look just else where? We are also wondering if moving to Woodlands is a good idea at all.

Search By

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Living in Woodlands, Woodhaven

Post by the lynx » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 9:19 am

I hate it when agents pull that duck move.

Is there a third-party property agent you can deal with aside from Far East (being the developer of the place)? For starters you can check this forum's property segment and see if someone is representing Woodhaven.

Otherwise, it is not necessary to live in Woodlands. A good compromise would be staying at these areas for expat-friendly touch (assuming you're using the school's bus service, and not own public transport system):
1. Upper Thomson Road, around Thomson Plaza
2. Sembawang Road, around Sembawang Shopping Centre
3. Hume/Hillview area at the north of Bukit Batok
4. Upper Bukit Timah Road (might be a little bit too far but definitely nearer if compared to distance from Orchard).

Where do you/wife work? Would moving to Woodlands affect your commute to work?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 1:02 pm

The important question that was already asked, why do you need to deal with Far East? Stay away from them. They are a really big organization, meaning they are not flexible and don't really care if they secure a reasonable deal. Approach the landlords directly or via an advertising agent but ensure the landlord to be a physical person, not an organization.

Koon

Post by Koon » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 11:53 pm

Thanks, the Lynx and x9200.

Far East is the developer and owner of most of the town houses at Wooodhaven. They have sold only a few units. There are like 30 ads for perhaps the same few units because Far East controlling the releasing of these units. My agent today finally found one that is not owned by Far East so we are going to check that out.

My current office is actually at HarbourFront so there is no easy way out. We either stay close to the school or close to my office. Anything in between means all of us have to commute. Previously, we live close to my office and I get to walk to the office. So, this time we thought we would let the kids be closer to the school and I will commute so that they can spend more time for after school activities. I guess my wife want to be in Woodlands more than I do. O:)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 7:25 am

I hope you are going to commute by MRT, if by a car, Woodlands - HarbourFront may not be that nice.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 7:36 am

Ouch that's painful. Harbourfront and Woodlands. Have you considered a different school?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 05 Jul 2015 9:15 pm

Far East is playing the "oh, expats who go to the American school, must be on a package-lah" game. :roll:

You can probably get a much better deal in the townhouses directly adjacent to the school. They don't have a pool granted but most of them, as well as the various terrace houses, are individually owned I think.

Good luck with the commute. :)