Singapore Expats

Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:12 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wendyboey

Post by wendyboey » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:14 pm

i'm a singaporean, now working in human resources, and has worked with many expats. previous boss is american national, current boss is indian national. i am not sure of any special websites for expats, but your competition is not just singapore-based expats or overseas-based expats. search at the job portals of the local country

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:23 pm

wendyboey wrote:i'm a singaporean, now working in human resources, and has worked with many expats. previous boss is american national, current boss is indian national. i am not sure of any special websites for expats, but your competition is not just singapore-based expats or overseas-based expats. search at the job portals of the local country
Thank you.

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:24 pm

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Image

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:24 pm

wendyboey wrote:. i am not sure of any special websites for expats, but your competition is not just singapore-based expats or overseas-based expats.
To be fair to Malith, his main competition or obstacle will be MOM. 15+ years ago it was very difficult to secure a pass for sales and marketing jobs, then it was loosened, and now it's being tightened again. Unless he gets a break in a large company offering high pay, his chances are meagre. Just stating the facts.

Malith, don't give up your job, until you earn an MBA at the minimum.

mdisala

Re: RE: Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
wendyboey wrote:. i am not sure of any special websites for expats, but your competition is not just singapore-based expats or overseas-based expats.
To be fair to Malith, his main competition or obstacle will be MOM. 15+ years ago it was very difficult to secure a pass for sales and marketing jobs, then it was loosened, and now it's being tightened again. Unless he gets a break in a large company offering high pay, his chances are meagre. Just stating the facts.

Got it Wendy, Thank you for your Support!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 3:16 pm

mdisala wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Got it Wendy, Thank you for your Support!!

:oops::oops::o:o:?::?:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 3:32 pm

wendyboey wrote:i'm a singaporean, now working in human resources, and has worked with many expats. previous boss is american national, current boss is indian national. i am not sure of any special websites for expats, but your competition is not just singapore-based expats or overseas-based expats. search at the job portals of the local country
I find it hard to believe that (1) you are working in HR, (2) a Singaporean and (3) that you have dealt with foreign employees.

Are you even aware of whatever going in Singapore regarding tightening of foreign talent? How could you be so clueless?

@Malith, long story short - There has been huge outcry among Singaporeans (like wendyboey herself) against foreign professionals because the influx was perceived to have caused them many problems (unfair competition in job market, rise in property and living costs, social problems). So the government has been tightening in issuance of foreign work visa. One's gotta be very exceptional, highly-niched and desperately-needed by the country to be approved for hiring for PMET roles (professional, management, executive and technical). The only exception is for menial labour like construction and cleaning, or high-flying CEO-likes who are paid well above SGD12k per month. So your aspiration to work in sales and marketing might be a short-sighted one, I'm afraid. Try to develop a very strong niche or be exceptionally skilled in something (MBA, PhD etc) and try again. But if you want to try it now, who's stopping you? If you get it, good. If you don't, at least you're aware of your chances and you learn from experience.