Singapore Expats

How salary is enough to live in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
vnhumr

How salary is enough to live in Singapore?

Post by vnhumr » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 1:00 pm

As a foreign worker, i'd like to come to SG to live and work during 3 years.
I have no free accommodation and maybe pay around 300$/a month and the other expenses are free.
So how much salary is enough for me to live and save after 3 years in Singapore?
If you have lived in Singapore, could you share your living experience and give more job information for me here!
Many thanks!

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How salary is enough to live in Singapore?

Post by menudown » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 2:27 pm

depends on how much is your salary...
you can save a lot if other expenses are free aside from your rental :P
don't forget transportation, phone bills, food expenses etc

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 4:38 pm

Use the search function, quite a few people have shared their costs. If you have specific questions after that come back and ask. Basically it's down to your lifestyle as to how expensive Sg can be and how much you can save.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:34 pm

vnhumr wrote:As a foreign worker, i'd like to come to SG to live and work during 3 years.
I have no free accommodation and maybe pay around 300$/a month and the other expenses are free.
So how much salary is enough for me to live and save after 3 years in Singapore?
If you have lived in Singapore, could you share your living experience and give more job information for me here!
Many thanks!
Are you serious about your pay being $300/month?!

vnhumr

Post by vnhumr » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:56 am

Thank menudown and bgd a lot, I have a chance to go SG to work with the salary 800 usd, an average in here. So i feel so confused whether i should go or not. with the rest of over 450usd after paying the rent, i need to think to methods to save :D
@ the lynx: maybe you understood me, that is my worried problem. thank you a lot :)

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:16 pm

As a comparison, the average construction worker gets SGD 500, with his food, accommodation and bills paid for.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:18 pm

So I'm assuming that you will live in some form of workers' acommodation, which explains your low rental costs.

If I understand you correctly you will have USD450 left after rent? That's getting up to about SGD600. I'm unfamiliar with this type of employment, what costs do you need to cover from this amount?

vnhumr

Post by vnhumr » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 2:46 pm

bgd wrote:So I'm assuming that you will live in some form of workers' acommodation, which explains your low rental costs.

If I understand you correctly you will have USD450 left after rent? That's getting up to about SGD600. I'm unfamiliar with this type of employment, what costs do you need to cover from this amount?
The number 450usd or SGD600 is in my evaluation, it's unsure b/c i only suppose that the rent is around 300usd. the others i don't have to pay for any expense (food, phone fee...), certainly don't count to other individual demands. My asked job is a foreman for construction company in SG, the initial wage is 800usd
after 6 month, the level is able to change into 1000usd or higher :)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 4:09 pm

Ok so it sounds like all your expenses are pretty much covered. If you live very quietly you can save most, if not all, your surplus. Really up to you as to how much you save. Entertainment will be your biggest temptation/cost.

vnhumr

Post by vnhumr » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 4:24 pm

That sounds a good advice, thank bgd again :)

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 5:09 pm

vnhumr wrote:My asked job is a foreman for construction company in SG, the initial wage is 800usd
after 6 month, the level is able to change into 1000usd or higher :)
true what bgd mentioned about entertainment being the biggest cost here...
try to control your expenses and off day trips for the first 6 months and from there you can gauge how much u able to save a month...then it will be easier for you to manage after your 1000usd pay raise