Singapore Expats

Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
bhat_nikhil

Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by bhat_nikhil » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 3:49 pm

Dear All

We are looking for volunteers for our in-house son-rise program for our special needs son. The son-rise program is about joining our son in the playroom and having lots of fun and engaging him in meaningful play. Training and feedback will be provided. Please see below for more information and also our contact details. For more information please do not hesitate to contact me either through the expat forum or through the details provided below. Thanks in advance. Best Regards

Do you have an open heart that is willing to love?
Are you
. Silly and fun and love to play?
. Exciting, energetic and enthusiastic?
. Willing to learn valuable skills?
. Wanting to contribute to a child’s life?

Meet Vedanth, a fun & energetic six-year- old boy with Autism!
We invite you to volunteer in our exciting and rewarding in-home Son-Rise program for our child.
This approach involves a non-judgmental attitude with an intense effort to engage and motivate our child to reach his full potential!

Can you commit 2-4 hours weekly for a minimum of 6 months?
No experience is necessary! We provide training and ongoing feedback!
Interested in this opportunity?
Contact Nik @ 9875 3049 or [email protected]

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 5:13 pm

bhat_nikhil wrote:.
This approach involves a non-judgmental attitude with an intense effort to engage and motivate our child to reach his full potential!
For YOUR child ? :o :o

Ok. I am not that smart ... but are you looking for a free child care service for 6 months ?

I thought I have seen enough, but looks like not .

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:24 am

Suddenly, to these parents, minding their child for free is a privilege.

I wish you two the best in finding one.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:05 am

the lynx wrote:Suddenly, to these parents, minding their child for free is a privilege.

Then again entrusting an autistic child in the care of a stranger ? That's mighty brave ...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 1:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Suddenly, to these parents, minding their child for free is a privilege.

Then again entrusting an autistic child in the care of a stranger ? That's mighty brave ...
You can tell just how brazen the request is: "volunteers required..."

It's not a request; it's an order.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 3:39 pm

nakatago wrote:It's not a request; it's an order.
And will there be an indemnity form, in case the child screams molest/assault/improper behaviour, by the volunteer ? oops... Nope, I am thinking aloud, in our volunteer work places, we are drilled on possibly issues and what to do and what not to do, and still it is not exhaustive.

And adding on to having guts to trust a child in the care of a stranger, well .. that's pretty outlandish thinking

then again, judging from the person's name, I am sure he has been getting things done his way, so he may still get pretty lucky ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 5:55 pm

I am inclined to give the OP some credit. 2-4 hours weekly, does not sound like looking for opportunity to get free nanny. The form of the request is pretty typical for people coming from one popular location. Hopefully it's just a form.

Having said that, what the OP wants is IMHO generally a good idea assuming their intention to have such volunteers is on top of the efforts the parents themselves and therapists provide, and not having a cheap replacement for it.

And lastly, no, it won't be easy and I strongly doubt many people could do such job leaving aside any chance to positively contribute to the kid's development.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 6:47 pm

x9200 wrote:I am inclined to give the OP some credit. 2-4 hours weekly, does not sound like looking for opportunity to get free nanny. The form of the request is pretty typical for people coming from one popular location. Hopefully it's just a form.
Form or Norm ??? :P :P

I am still curious to know how many people signed up !!

samwilfred

Post by samwilfred » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:08 am

The family respectfully requested for volunteers. Even if this is not something you would consider doing, please consider the possibility that this is a genuine request for help. Everyone has a story, and the least we can do is not to undermine it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 6:42 am

samwilfred wrote:The family respectfully requested for volunteers. Even if this is not something you would consider doing, please consider the possibility that this is a genuine request for help. Everyone has a story, and the least we can do is not to undermine it.
Consider the context and in which country you're in. Even though you may say it was respectful, just even the language gave the post a tone of babysitting a special child (for free!) is a privilege when such a service commands a premium when you get it from properly trained professionals.

That takes some big, brass ones.

It could very well be a genuine request for help but when you ask for help, you don't make it sound like you're doing the other guy a favor by letting him help you.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 7:51 am

^ Yep, well put :)

-- talking about anatomy and brass.

-------------------
'brass neck
1.informal
cheek or effrontery.
"I didn't think that his mother would have the brass neck to come round here"

-------------------
Urban Dictionary: Brass Neck
To display staggeringly daring rudeness and / or cheek. First Cousin to balls of brass.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... Brass+Neck
--------------------
brass neck, noun (uk us) UK informal disapproving
› a type of behaviour where someone is extremely confident about their own actions but does not understand that their behaviour is unacceptable to others: She's got a brass neck to ask for a day off when we're so busy.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... brass-neck

---------------------
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 8:24 am

I think many local people in a broad sense just don't get this sort of things. More-over, they seem to think more formal language with the words like "requesting", more polite it gets.
I mean, there is a difference when one acts like an AH because he doesn't care and another one who is just conditioned this way, oblivious to how this sounds.

But for this case, yeah, besides of the language it also sounds like typical primitive marketing – we need you and want to use you and at your expense only so lets convince you that this is a privilege and you need it for prestigious or other similar reasons.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 8:43 am

JR8 wrote:^ Yep, well put :)

-- talking about anatomy and brass.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:11 am

I received a PM from one of the posters here, requesting to show some kindness to the OP in this thread. I presume that everyone else received this PM.

While I'm all for volunteerism and special needs cause (I myself am a volunteer), I'm still skeptical of the OP and the post for two reasons.

1. The idea of seeking strangers from a public forum to be part of this programme. Ecureilx has already brought up this point and I'd like to stress that it is already very vulnerable situation for a young child with special needs to be left under care of legit volunteers, let alone strangers. I really really hope OP would be careful with this (hence my initial reply of "wish you two the next").

2. The mannerism of OP request. Granted, English is probably not OP's first language so this request will often be misunderstood as a marketing ploy/self-entitled demand. I'll not harp on this with this thought.

Good to know that this programme works, although I must say that I never heard of it. So in my (limited) experience, if any parent were to try it, I'd imagine that they would approach the network of NGOs that focus on special needs people and get recommendations on volunteers who would be interested.

Having said that, I'll repeat what I already said. "Wish you two the best in finding the volunteers."

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:33 am

the lynx wrote:I received a PM from one of the posters here, requesting to show some kindness to the OP in this thread. I presume that everyone else received this PM.
I too got the PM, and my primary concern was, when Singapore has been spending a lot of money in Autism Research and support, why trust a stranger. Especially in this little red dot a lot of stuff happens, it is better to err on the side of caution.

Enough said