Singapore Expats

Conversion of HKD$ salary into SGD$

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Conversion of HKD$ salary into SGD$

Post by BoroBoy » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:48 am

I am looking for a salary index chart to help convert a HKD salary to SGD. The tax and cost of living are similar so would it be a direct dollar conversion? A dollar conversion will always be affected by the current exchange rate so should it be an average of the past 1 years rates?

I have took a look at numbeo and it seems to suggest SG is more expensive than HK but from what I know about the job market I think $ for $ HK salaries are higher http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... =Singapore

Are there other things that a HR department will take into account when putting together an offer?

I am trying to get an idea of what level to price myself into the market for a couple of opportunities that have opened up. The SG roles are v similar to the role that I am doing in HK.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Conversion of HKD$ salary into SGD$

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 1:26 pm

Vehicles are more expensive in Singapore, Housing is more expensive HK (per SQM). Everything is pretty comparable. Singapore has a ~7% GST which makes everyday items about that much more expensive.

The positions in my field almost always pay better in Singapore. Part of the reason for that is that large MNCs (non-banking, and even then some) tend to use Singapore as their Asia base of operations, and HK is just for GCR now. Thus the HK roles will value Mandarin over English, and you'll get cheaper talent from China. Again, at least in my experience.