Singapore Expats

Churches for expats

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: racist reply to request for churches...nice

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 15 Jun 2015 2:21 pm

domestickdiva wrote:I emailed this note to the administration for the website....

You wouldn’t see this sort of garbage in America if a Singaporean accessed an expat website to ask for churches that related more to Singaporeans....you would have received actual helpful responses from Americans and non-Americans alike.
Truly disappointed in the people you have moderating your website's forum....why do even have a website for expats if you aren't going to provide helpful, nonracist advice??????
first up the OP found attending a local church distasteful, made a snide reference to the language spoken at the church which I'll quote here
Raistlin wrote:My wife and I find the Singaporean accent distracting us from the message and we had a hard time interpreting it.
If OP doesn't want to attend a local church of his preference he's more than welcome to take the next flight out of here to wherever they speak in a more pleasant tone of voice.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: racist reply to request for churches...nice

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:19 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: If OP doesn't want to attend a local church of his preference he's more than welcome to take the next flight out of here to wherever they speak in a more pleasant tone of voice.
:)

+1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Churches for expats

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 9:07 pm

And seven years later, I'd still say the same thing. ;-)

Sadly, it would seem people here are still getting mixed up on the difference between singlish and the Singaporean accent. A typical, well educated Singaporean can speak perfect British English and to the foreign native English speaker it sounds like a foreign language because of the local accent, not the grammar used when speaking singlish.

I've yet to hear a preacher, minister, priest, big pooba, mystic, guru, or whatever you want to address the guy behind the podium with, in any organized "English Speaking" church here in Singapore use singlish during the sermon. He may paraphrase a passage by translating it to another of the four major languages to help those who are not English speakers, but not singlish. The only exceptions, possibly, being the mega steal-your-money churches. They will stoop to any level to dig into your pockets as deep as they can. [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 9:51 pm

Was with you up to the "perfect" part
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 6:51 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Singaporean can speak perfect British English
Brah wrote:Was with you up to the "perfect" part
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 8:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A typical, well educated Singaporean can speak perfect British English and to the foreign native English speaker it sounds like a foreign language because of the local accent, not the grammar used when speaking singlish.
The key words here were "Singaporean can" Not 'Singaporean does' or 'Singaporean will' or ' Singaporean speaks'. :)

I also did not indicate that the British English would be with "received pronunciation" but rather with the local accent. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:53 pm

I think I'll just leave this here.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... ate-attack

I can't understand why there should be a separate black and white church in this day and age.
I suppose this is exactly what you get when you start segregation based on language, ethnicity, race or even singlish.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:46 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I think I'll just leave this here.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... ate-attack

I can't understand why there should be a separate black and white church in this day and age.
I suppose this is exactly what you get when you start segregation based on language, ethnicity, race or even singlish.
Did it say is was a segregated church or is the church just in a demographically un-diverse location?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 7:49 am

The article made a mention of it being a black church, I think it catered primarily to the that demographic.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 9:05 am

AME churches are primarily black oriented churches AME = African Methodist Evangelical Church. So yeah, even today, they are predominantly, if not entirely black oriented. Having said that, there were probably some whites who went to that church primarily because the pastor was also a Senator as well as the pastor and was pretty well liked by all races.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:AME churches are primarily black oriented churches AME = African Methodist Evangelical Church. So yeah, even today, they are predominantly, if not entirely black oriented. Having said that, there were probably some whites who went to that church primarily because the pastor was also a Senator as well as the pastor and was pretty well liked by all races.
And I believe if you can't sing and dance, you will feel pretty much out of place in those churches ..

Wait, sing and dance ? If you can't sing along with a full band, including Drums and all, you will feel pretty much out of place in most Filipino services ;) ;)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:37 pm

Right but there is a BIG difference between that and segregation
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Jun 2015 8:20 am

Brah wrote:Right but there is a BIG difference between that and segregation
It' called legal enforcement and its side effects.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 20 Jun 2015 8:10 pm

Still don't get you.

There is no jurisdiction for segregation in churches in the US, that would just give people a reason to protest.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Jun 2015 9:45 pm

I was partly referring to what ecureilx wrote. These AME churches, they are a product of the segregation (remote past). Typical segregation is something institutionalized and can be reinforced - this part is gone, but the fact that they are still frequent mostly by Black people, is it really and only because of the culture or is this something what is a de facto segregation? Do White people feel welcomed there?