Singapore Expats

Fewer Workers in Singapore ...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Fewer Workers in Singapore ...

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 9:57 am

Apparently there are the fewer workers in Singapore than the year before for the first time in 6 years...

Maybe its just the movement of offices , but round where I work in Ubi/Tai Seng I can only see the numbers on the rise.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fewer Workers in Singapore ...

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:09 pm

It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between that and the SGn unemployment rate.

i.e. Is there a link between that and the new 'SGns first' hiring policy.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:46 pm

I can believe that. Everyone I know who has left my work place has not been replaced. At least not in Sg.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 9:43 pm

Same for a lot of companies in the Financial industry, maybe even all but 1,

Plus the exodus from CBD into the boonies continues
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:24 am

JR8 wrote:It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between that and the SGn unemployment rate.

i.e. Is there a link between that and the new 'SGns first' hiring policy.
physically there are not enough singaporean work-able bodies to fill in the job vacancies. therefore first, second or last, sg economy needs imported workforce.

in the past, people from poorer countries were desperate to get to work in sg. well-educated people. nowadays, with the less favorable balance between the costs of living and incomes (doubled by an increasingly ferocious nationalism and xenophobia) makes sg attractive only to the more desperate individuals.

add to this the significant deterioration of the APAC market; starting with the slowdown in the chinese economy (which alone triggered the collapse of raw materials industry in aussieland), the demand for service-oriented sg economy (with its sky-high prices) has diminished.

i know what they say to the public, sg does not depend on anything else. but here on this forum we know it's not true.