Singapore Expats

Local Drivers - what's going wrong?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Local Drivers - what's going wrong?

Post by bgd » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 4:49 pm

What is happening on Sg roads? It does seem like the accident rate has spiked suddenly. I can count 10 accidents in the last 5 days that I've come across. Mostly minor shunts but a couple more serious. I am used to seeing accidents but not so many in such a short time.

Statistical blip perhaps?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Local Drivers - what's going wrong?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 4:54 pm

The "turn right when no vehicle is coming from straight ahead" rule is the biggest reason for accidents. It's just a matter of time for everyone who drives, to meet one.

Also the turn right if no pedestrian is coming is next biggest reason

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 5:27 pm

accident happens almost everyday on the highway nowadays...the high cost of coe and owning a car may be part of which makes them think they have the right to drive recklessly

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 5:29 pm

It's the same excuse they give for running down bicyclists and squeezing them off the roads. However, having said that, most cyclists here tend to abuse the right of the road way as well, expat and local alike.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 5:45 pm

yes..and the bus drivers too

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 5:45 pm

The driving here is pretty poor even on a good day, it just seems worse at the moment. Most of the accidents I've seen are nose to tail. Following too close with slow reactions. I was wondering whether they might be distracted by something? SEA Games on the radio perhaps?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 6:08 pm

bgd wrote:The driving here is pretty poor even on a good day, it just seems worse at the moment. Most of the accidents I've seen are nose to tail. Following too close with slow reactions. I was wondering whether they might be distracted by something? candy crush?
fixed! :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:30 pm

Competitive inter-vehicle ego + lousy eyesight.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:09 pm

Am I the only person who thinks bus drivers brake a lot and drive in a jerky fashion? I find it unbelievable that a bus can't be driven without having to jerk and throw people off guard.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:46 pm

They were all taxi drivers. One of the 10 commandments of taxi drivers in Singapore is to see how many times per 100m they can accelerate and de-accelerate (brake). Once they graduate then they can pull it on a 150 fares at a time instead of just one to three.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:06 am

Those taxi drivers that constantly accelerate and decelerate actually think they are saving petrol by doing this. Perhaps they think it applies to buses as well.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:14 am

Speaking of driving, just the other day I commented to my husband. How impressed I was with the parking skills of those mothers at school. During drop offs in the mornings (think hectic), cars had to line up in narrow passage way and for those wishing to park, they had to back into the parking lot which is perpendicular to the driving lanes. They would do it skilfully, with ease. I almost got out of my car wanting to clap and congratulate them for a job well-done. And moreso, they usually drive those hugh SUV trucks. This leaves me with no choice but to conclude that white American women (and perhaps extrapolate to American women in general?) have some superior genes going for them :mrgreen: .

My husband begs to differ and attribute it to them having well-equipped cars like camera sensors. Could be, I guess.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 6:39 am

earthfriendly wrote:Speaking of driving, just the other day I commented to my husband. How impressed I was with the parking skills of those mothers at school. During drop offs in the mornings (think hectic), cars had to line up in narrow passage way and for those wishing to park, they had to back into the parking lot which is perpendicular to the driving lanes. They would do it skilfully, with ease. I almost got out of my car wanting to clap and congratulate them for a job well-done. And moreso, they usually drive those hugh SUV trucks. This leaves me with no choice but to conclude that white American women (and perhaps extrapolate to American women in general?) have some superior genes going for them :mrgreen: .

My husband begs to differ and attribute it to them having well-equipped cars like camera sensors. Could be, I guess.
I remember a show where some aliens landed on a freeway during gridlock traffic. The aliens were impressed by the accuracy displayed by the drivers and thought it was a military exhibition.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Local Drivers - what's going wrong?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:13 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Am I the only person who thinks bus drivers brake a lot and drive in a jerky fashion? I find it unbelievable that a bus can't be driven without having to jerk and throw people off guard.
Busses are auto gear now

So accelerate, break, see a gap in the traffic, accelerate ... break ..

Not too difficult until in your rush you run over a pedestrian ... :oops: :o

Then again a lot of bus drivers are victims themselves, of car drivers who cut in front of a bus and slow down.. if busses had bull catchers and keep shoving aside those morons who have no respect for a 10 plus tonne bus, .. maybe busses may break less.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:35 am

Woo-hoo, let's all celebrate that some people can park :)

But the fact is many can't. I still think the whole 'passive-aggressive' thing is something that gets played out big-time on the road. Maybe it's further empowered by the anonymity of being in a box and behind securely locked doors.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard