Singapore Expats

Question on ceiling fans in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question on ceiling fans in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 1:01 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I just found out that the roof in my house is false or made of gypsum board, at this point this pretty much blows all the plans i had for a ceiling fan in the bedroom out of the water. :(
What about wall fan?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
I have a stand fan but I don't like the noise it makes :( i might go and get that vertical fan with fins instead.
Did you check Vornado?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Question on ceiling fans in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 1:29 pm

Well this is an interesting thread encompassing air circulation, DIY, TCM, and ‘quantum science’. What next, the psychology of how the sound of a ceiling fan can start composing music in your head?

And to combine the sound of ceiling fans with one facet of the expat experience, esp. the effects of leaving and becoming an ex-expat, we have...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgqIY7xgtE
Re-Cut of Sheen's Opening Scene in Apocalypse Now... [1:23Mins]
------------------- [V.O. = voice-over of the thoughts in his head]

‘ INT. SAIGON HOTEL - DAY
The CAMERA MOVES slowly across the room...and we SEE
WILLARD, a young army captain. He looks out the window to
the busy Saigon street.

WILLARD (V.O.) *
Saigon...shit. I'm only in Saigon.
Every time, I think I'm gonna wake
up back in the jungle.

He moves back to the bed, lies down. He's unshaven,
exhausted, probably drunk. We SEE alcohol bottles, photos,
documents scattered on the table.

WILLARD (V.O.)
When I was home after my first
tour, it was worse. I'd wake up
and there'd be nothing. I hardly
said a word to my wife until I
said yes to a divorce. When I was
here, I wanted to be there. When
I was there...all I could think of
was getting back into the jungle.
[snip]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question on ceiling fans in Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 1:43 pm

ecureilx wrote: I have a stand fan but I don't like the noise it makes :( i might go and get that vertical fan with fins instead.
Alternatively don't worry so much about the fan noise, get some airline style ear plugs and sleep peacefully :-)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Question on ceiling fans in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 2:02 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I just found out that the roof in my house is false or made of gypsum board, at this point this pretty much blows all the plans i had for a ceiling fan in the bedroom out of the water. :(
The sheets of gypsum would usually be screwed into timber ceiling joists above. Back home those 'timber members' tend to be 12"*2", and they are set about 18" apart right across a ceiling. (They're often also form the floor joists of the unit above!). If I were to put up a ceiling fan back home I would have to locate one of those members/joists and bolt it into that. Even bolting a small light-fighting into just the gypsum is not a good idea.
Locating the joists is not that easy as on top of the gypsum there is usually a layer or 'skim' of plaster. That serves to hide the joints between the gypsum boards, and also the fixing screws, yielding a uniform smooth finish. I suspect identifying the position of joists like that is beyond the scope of most DIYers.

I appreciate that here most ceiling/floors between units are likely to be concrete. Thus the lowered ceiling is likely to be bolted into something much smaller than structural-size joists. It's likely these joists are simply what's required to keep the gypsum/skim up. The gap between gypsum and concrete is also going to be smaller, much less than 12", but probably enough still to invisibly run cabling, and avoid surface ducting/cabling.

Anyway, I reckon retro-fitting a ceiling fan, into a ceiling of which you're unsure of how it's constructed is going to be a thankless task, which might end up failing anyway. A wall-mounted fan, into a concrete wall, would be sooo much easier to accomplish and know it's not going to land on you in bed one day at 4am.

... Meanwhile, I find floor-standing fans accomplish everything I need. ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 2:46 pm

Standing tower fans are pretty quiet as they use roller fans. My daughter has one and you cannot even hear it running. This might be a viable option...
http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Ultra-inch- ... B1S7F4KBQJ
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 3:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Standing tower fans are pretty quiet as they use roller fans. My daughter has one and you cannot even hear it running. ...]
It's quite until the dust starts to choke the intakes :o

Had a cheap one that was noisy

Swapped to a better one with easy filter cleaning .. works fine now.

Actually vornado claims to lower the room temperature by 2 to 5 degree due to the turbine design, having a Bernoulli effect...but for the prices. ..

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 3:44 pm

@squirrel - Vornado fans are expensive but i quite like how they operate i saw some at a DIY store the other day expensive is not the word!

@WD40 Indian made fans are much cheaper, I don't understand why ceiling fans cost 200$ here.

@JR8 its a real nightmare option, I'd have to find out what kind of beams support the gypsum board/false ceiling, i suspect it is wood and I'd have to locate where that wooden beam runs across the bedroom, drill into the gypsum board and into that wooden beam, attach the bolt and then mount the fan. and yes it's a thankless job, one i would readily do in a house I owned and not rented.

so it looks like it's going to be a fan of the the SMS posted which I quite like. those purr like a kitten.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:22 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: @WD40 Indian made fans are much cheaper, I don't understand why ceiling fans cost 200$ here. .
Bit out of topic, if you know an organizer you can get an Amma fan from India :P. :P

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:please keep your rooms (with running fans) properly ventilated on hot nights (>30'c).

What so specific about portable electric fans?
i think you would have to read the PDF and recognize the context of an excessive/extreme heat event - usually resulting in people (americans) buying portable fans as an economical, convenient and temporary measure to cool themselves down.

i assume the intent of the OP was similar to that.

my was point... whatever sort of fan one uses, don't run it in a closed up room when the temperatures are high.

the results can be more fatal than one may think.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 5:55 am

taxico wrote:
x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:please keep your rooms (with running fans) properly ventilated on hot nights (>30'c).

What so specific about portable electric fans?
i think you would have to read the PDF and recognize the context of an excessive/extreme heat event - usually resulting in people (americans) buying portable fans as an economical, convenient and temporary measure to cool themselves down.

i assume the intent of the OP was similar to that.

my was point... whatever sort of fan one uses, don't run it in a closed up room when the temperatures are high.

the results can be more fatal than one may think.
I actually read this (warning part) some time earlier before you posted it and what I didn't like about it was that there was not even an attempt to explain why. This may be dangerous because people could make some wrong assumptions and to be frank, myself, reading it, I am not sure at all where is the problem. Clearly it is about body overheating but is it because of insufficient hydration (so one may assume it is enough to drink more and everything will be fine), or combined effect of small room with heat dissipated by the running electric motor, where in extreme cases no hydration may help, or built up of the humidity and less effective evaporation of sweat from the skin, or all together, or yet something else?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 9:59 am

In a closed room a fan will only increase the temperature due, as pointed out, to heat from the fan motor. The cooling effect is just wind chill, blowing the air over your sweaty body.

We do close our bedroom doors as it helps the kids sleep better especially when we are awake in the living room with TV on.

Air con is really the only solution for us I think.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:30 am

Fact is, though, all other things being equal, I am better off having air passing over my skin for evaporative cooling. It does cool me. Unless you have zero windows open a fan is much better than no fan.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:41 am

Steve1960 wrote:In a closed room a fan will only increase the temperature due, as pointed out, to heat from the fan motor. The cooling effect is just wind chill, blowing the air over your sweaty body.

We do close our bedroom doors as it helps the kids sleep better especially when we are awake in the living room with TV on.

Air con is really the only solution for us I think.
Most rooms, even Singapore ones, I think have enough heat capacity to accommodate fan motor heat.

A better argument would be is to let all that stale air and humidity out so that evaporative cooling would work. I'd be restless first before I overheat.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:46 am

nakatago wrote: I'd be restless first before I overheat.
My three girlfriends would become restless before they let me overheat :wink: :wink: :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:49 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: I'd be restless first before I overheat.
My three girlfriends would become restless before they let me overheat :wink: :wink: :cool:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."