Singapore Expats

PR Rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dj6182

PR Rejection

Post by dj6182 » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 4:46 pm

Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thought I'd add my details to the list to allow other persons (active participants and otherwise) to benefit from this information.

Received my PR application rejection letter about 3.5 months after submitting all my documents.

Also got the kiss of death: No invitation to re-apply in XX years.

About me:
Race: Indian
Field: Corporate [edited for fear of outing myself]
Current Salary: $30,000+ per month
Time in SG: Almost 6 years
Marital Status: Married to Singaporean citizen for almost 4 years
Kids: None yet, but one on the way :)
Educational qualification: Undergraduate and graduate degrees from top US school [edited for fear of outing myself]
Tax: Paid 4/5 years worth
Wife: Born in Singapore, naturalized Singapore citizen when young, but an Indian passport holder at birth

This was my first PR application. I think my application was fine except for my race and this complicating factor:
Have a drunk driving fine/arrest (no jail time) from the US 8 years ago that I declared and have declared on my past 3 successful EP applications (yes, I know, incredibly stupid, selfish and embarrassing, and still paying the price).

In all honesty, I thought I this application was still going to be successful. Very disappointed it didn't go through since we had all intentions (and still do for now) of making Singapore our permanent home for our new family. Despite popular wisdom, I'll probably re-apply once our baby is born and see what happens. One question to the group: Does a PR rejection affect your prospects of EP renewal?

Anyway, I hope this anecdotal information is/will be helpful to others in similar circumstances.
Last edited by dj6182 on Thu, 04 Jun 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: PR Rejection

Post by the lynx » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 4:51 pm

Sorry to hear about it dude.
1. No it won't affect your EP renewal. Only job market situation in your field will.
2. I'm surprised that you are unable to get PR despite being married to a Singaporean. Perhaps you can try applying via Family Ties Scheme, instead of Professional & Technical Scheme? (be prepared to be called for NS though)
3. Yes you can reapply after the baby is born. Perhaps better luck this way, especially when your child would be a Singaporean.
4. If you lose your job (and hence your EP) before you can PR, you can try LTVP+ route (you have already fulfilled the minimum requirement of Singaporean spouse, 3 years' of marriage, and a child). This allows you to work and live in Singapore with your wife and baby.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR Rejection

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 5:47 pm

the lynx wrote:.
4. If you lose your job (and hence your EP) before you can PR, you can try LTVP+ route ...
+1

LTVP+ it is ...

dj6182

Post by dj6182 » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks, guys! I'm glad to hear it won't affect my EP renewal! And I definitely didn't know what the LTVP+ scheme was, so thanks for that pointer as well.

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sun, 07 Jun 2015 1:02 am

apply for the ltvp/ltvp+ which allow foreigner spouse to work in singapore without tie with company anymore, get the ltvp while applying/waiting for PR application.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 07 Jun 2015 6:47 pm

dj6182 wrote:Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thought I'd add my details to the list to allow other persons (active participants and otherwise) to benefit from this information.

Anyway, I hope this anecdotal information is/will be helpful to others in similar circumstances.
Benefit from this information? People who had even slightest hopes of getting PR would now shelve their plans, until there is a dramatic change in demographics, for example a SARs like situation, and all expats rushing to the changi airport on one way tickets. :)

On a serious note, since you already have family ties, residency here, shouldn't be a problem. Also EPs are still being given away quite easily, if it can be proven by your employer that its not easy to find a Singaporean for your role.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 07 Jun 2015 9:22 pm

Wd40 wrote:, for example a SARs like situation, and all expats rushing to the changi airport on one way tickets. :)
It is SARS, But I digress ;)

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 9:01 am

dj6182 wrote: Field: Corporate [edited for fear of outing myself]
Current Salary: $30,000+ per month
A couple of things spring to mind:

Firstly, why are you not on PEP? That would offer short-term security at least instead of EP.
Secondly, at that kind of salary you might be considered high-flying enough to be posted outside of Singapore. All other factors (except maybe race) seem to be in your favour.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 9:07 am

PEP is 3 years these days and not 5. So unless job loss is imminent, I don't think its worth the hassle, especially if you are already working in SG.

dj6182

Post by dj6182 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:16 pm

curiousgeorge wrote: A couple of things spring to mind:

Firstly, why are you not on PEP? That would offer short-term security at least instead of EP.
Secondly, at that kind of salary you might be considered high-flying enough to be posted outside of Singapore. All other factors (except maybe race) seem to be in your favour.
I'm on an EP now - which has been renewed twice before so I hope there aren't any issues with it being renewed going forward. I never applied for the PEP because it didn't seem necessary and I was conscious it was only for a limited time and I wanted to be here long-term.

Re: another poster's point about applying through the family scheme, I wanted to share an anecdote of a friend. He (Indian descent) was denied his PR as a professional, he is married to a Singapore PR (British citizen, Indian descent). His letter also had the death knell i.e. no invitation to reapply after a certain period of time. They since had a child, and when his wife, the Singapore PR, went to apply for her child's PR, she was questioned as to why her husband hadn't applied under the family scheme along with the daughter. His concerns are the same as mine, at this stage of our career, it doesn't make sense to potentially go on NS at massive opportunity cost (career and foregone salary) and try to support your family on NS salary (I have no idea what those are but I assume they aren't very high). So he's in a bit of a predicament since he's been basically asked to apply. I thought this may be helpful to those to know that big changes in circumstances and applying through alternate means may still afford you an opportunity at PR.

Re: LTVP+ - it looks like you cannot apply for that while you're on an EP. It seems like you need to be out of the country or on a short term visit pass. Is that everyone else's understanding too?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:20 pm

dj6182 wrote:.
Re: LTVP+ - it looks like you cannot apply for that while you're on an EP. It seems like you need to be out of the country or on a short term visit pass. Is that everyone else's understanding too?
If you apply online you will be asked to include a white card no, that's how it was before

Not sure what you mean by out of the country ...how will you get a white card if you are out of Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:30 pm

dj6182 wrote: Re: LTVP+ - it looks like you cannot apply for that while you're on an EP. It seems like you need to be out of the country or on a short term visit pass. Is that everyone else's understanding too?
It takes several months to get the LTVP+ You need to apply for it (explaining the reason as it's relatively new to front liners at the ICA) it will take some time. Once it is granted, your EP will be cancelled and you will be given an SVP good for 30 days. This will also be accompanied with a proviso that you are allowed to continue to work for the duration of that SVP to give the employer ample time to make application for the LoC (Letter of Consent). Normally this will be granted within a week or two. I recently placed my accountant on a LTVP+ (previously on an S pass). She is a VN national who married a VN National SG PR who is a lecturer at one of the Unis here. All went smoothly but my advise is to, if you go this route, ensure that you do not waste time once you have the LTVP+, giving to the employer and that they do not waste time filing for the LoC. I was worried about the 30 days waiting for the LoC from MOM, but in a contact with the ICA, they told me if it looks like it may take a couple of days longer than the 30 days they would extend the SVP for a week or so which should be plenty of time. The whole process should be a lot smoother now, as we did it back in January when the LTVP+ scheme for PRs foreign spouses was first started.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 9:36 pm

Regarding the death knell note. Guys, please stop using that phrase as its pretty standard these days to not mention apply after XX months/years. In the past(before 2011) it was quite common. But not anymore. Only in case of a special race from a special country get that phrase of apply after XX, if any that too. The rest of us dont get it anymore.

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 3:59 pm

I got my rejection in Feb 2015 and when I tried to apply again, the system automatically allocated a date in October 2015. I can't edit it to an earlier date though slots are available ( I checked with a friend's IC). So, may be they don't include apply after XX months, but directly allocate it to the person!

May be, I don't know!

sxsw

Post by sxsw » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 3:21 pm

Have a drunk driving fine/arrest (no jail time) from the US 8 years ago that I declared and have declared on my past 3 successful EP applications (yes, I know, incredibly stupid, selfish and embarrassing, and still paying the price).
So does anyone think this could be the main reason for the PR rejection? I find that hard to believe since your EP's were always successful. Perhaps it really does all come down to being from an 'over-represented' nationality?