Singapore Expats

Am I employable in the Red Dot?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SEC

Am I employable in the Red Dot?

Post by SEC » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:32 am

Hi Everyone,
It seems that the responses can differ on a case by case basis, so I thought I'd put my current situation to the test.

I am currently employed overseas, and relocating to SG and potentially establishing a branch. My professional career spans 4+ years, I earn $70k p.a. I hold a International Baccalaureate Diploma, Prince2 Certification and PMP Certification - I do not have a degree.
My boyfriend (not a legally recognised relationship) has been in SG for 3+ years, he is an EP holder.

I am wondering what the chances of being able to establish a Rep Office, Branch or Subsidiary are given my background, or qualification for a EP through a local employer.

Many thanks, and I look forward to your responses.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Am I employable in the Red Dot?

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:48 pm

If you form a rep office you cannot perform any income producing work.

If the company you work for forms a branch, almost surely an attorney or CPA will be required, along with a resident director (could be you once you have an EP). For a branch, your local company operates under the foreign articles of incorporation, there is no stock, and the company cannot avail itself of various tax breaks made available to local companies.

If the company you work for forms a subsidiary, then it will be a pte ltd with all shares owned by the foreign company. Same requirements for a resident director.

In all of the above cases, the company must agree to pay you a salary, file the necessary tax paperwork, and file for your employment pass.

You can, of course, try to get a job... but you face three problems... PMP/Prince project management jobs are getting harder to find, everyone from the subcontinent seems to have a PMP and will work for pmpeanuts, and finally, who knows if you will be approved what with the focus on local talent hiring priorities (whether they know what they are doing or not).

Search for my handle... I have written many posts about creating your own business/company and using it to file for your own EP.

SEC

Re: Am I employable in the Red Dot?

Post by SEC » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Strong Eagle, I will look at your related posts.

It is most likely that we will either be going to a Subsidiary or the Branch option, as we will need to generate income here to support keeping me here and a Singapore operation.

I've had a look at some job search engines and can definitely see the salary awarded are much less than my current income, and not a step forward which is obviously frustrating when you're looking to progress!

Thanks again :)