Singapore Expats

Is there a limit to the number of CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc you can bring to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Is there a limit to the number of CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc you can bring to Singapore?

Post by the lynx » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 8:53 am

MikeJones wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that it's illegal to be nude in your own home here if you are visible to the neighbours, not sure if that is true or not.

Mike
Yes it is. The peeping Tom/Sally (don't which way you swing) can actually report you to the police or sue you in civil court for indecency, after having his/her fill of visual stimulation of you. Even in your own private space, as opposed to what SMS said.

Source: A lawyer friend - her client is being charged for indecency and she is fighting the case against the peeping Tom.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is there a limit to the number of CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc you can bring to Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 9:17 am

the lynx wrote:Yes it is. The peeping Tom/Sally (don't which way you swing) can actually report you to the police or sue you in civil court for indecency, after having his/her fill of visual stimulation of you. Even in your own private space, as opposed to what SMS said.
:P :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 9:20 am

Interesting! I wonder if that goes for aural stimulation as well, e.g., if you happened to walk by someone's flat and they are getting it on in the flat and she's a hardcore moaner as was in the news recently.... :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -jail.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 9:20 am

I think we have well and truly derailed this thread! LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 9:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Interesting! I wonder if that goes for aural stimulation as well, e.g., if you happened to walk by someone's flat and they are getting it on in the flat and she's a hardcore moaner as was in the news recently.... :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -jail.html
We used to have a neighbor like that. At 11 pm...and surprisingly at 3 pm on a weekday on one instance.

:-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is there a limit to the number of CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc you can bring to Si...

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 10:33 am

re: MDA
Infoholic wrote: I eventually spoke an equally nice customer service person who told me that MDA does not have any restrictions on the import of music CDs and as such there is no need to count them or itemise them. While it was not explicitly mentioned I assumed that if the discs were illegitimate copies they my not like that.
Good stuff. It's useful to get feedback from the horse's mouth. And yes, they can be pretty hot on enforcing copyright here, so your 2nd point makes sense to me.
Infoholic wrote:With regards to video discs again there did not appear to be any limits but the official line is that all imported video discs will be sent to a classifier to determine if anything is rated R21+. Any disc classified as R21+ would have to "re-exported". Moreover there is SG$1.80 charge per movie to classify them. That is the official line as at 3:30pm on 3 June 2015.
I suspect that the situation is that the 'will be sent', is 'may be sent'. I.e. they retain that right.
This is based upon my (and my wife's) experience of never having been charged by MDA for importing media. Furthermore I've occasionally bought DVDs from Amazon (abroad), and had them sent here, and the packages have not been opened, and again I have had no MDA charges etc.
So my feeling is they retain the right to screen, at their discretion. And they might look at your overall 'profile' when deciding whether to exercise that discretion.
A useful question to put out there might be, have any readers ever been charged MDA screening fees, either on domestic relo freight, or buying discs/media from abroad and having them delivered here? Simply because I've not heard anyone saying that it has happened to them, so it could be enlightening.
Infoholic wrote:I suspect the reality is a little closer to that suggested by other commenters. You need to provide an itemised list of the movies being brought in. The customs officers would, from time to time check that list and if necessary send some or all of the videos off for classification.
Apart from that one time 20yrs ago, neither my wife or I have been required to list our movies. I don't recall precisely, these days there might perhaps simply be a self-declaration on the customs form to the effect you're not importing any prohibited goods. Then if they do a random check, and find prohibited goods... hmm.

p.s. So are you going to tell your relo agent that she's incorrect in regard to her advice :twisted:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 11:32 am

Unfortunately I've thrown out all the various forms I had to fill in with my shipment, I do seem to recall the shipping costs did specifically exclude any customs screening costs incurred so if MDA did decide to inspect everything I would have had to pay the fees. Pretty sure there was a general customs declaration listing what was included in general terms and an "I'm not importing anything prohibited" section.

Mike

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 2:34 pm

the lynx wrote:
Yes it is. The peeping Tom/Sally (don't which way you swing) can actually report you to the police or sue you in civil court for indecency, after having his/her fill of visual stimulation of you. Even in your own private space, as opposed to what SMS said.

Source: A lawyer friend - her client is being charged for indecency and she is fighting the case against the peeping Tom.
if they say saw you naked once, wouldn't they want to see you over and over again? or do they only report naked ugly people? hmmm this one's got sagging tits, hello police
or omg look at dat ass fap fap fap need to do this everyday.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late