Singapore Expats

Finding WHP Application status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
InternVen

Finding WHP Application status

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 5:29 pm

Hey guys!

I'm a student studying in the US, although I'm Indian by nationality. I landed an internship with a prominent company in Singapore, but I was made the offer on the condition that I should apply for a Work Permit myself (in case anyone is wondering why my employer isn't dealing with this).

I did my research and found out that Work Holiday Pass suits me best and I qualify the requirements. I sent in my application on the 14th of May. Its been 20 days now and I haven't received a reply from MOM! I have tried calling their customer service line and I cannot get through to speak to a rep because I don't have a FIN, NRIC or a work permit ID no. or anything they request! I did send in a feedback enquiry, they replied asking for my application details, which I sent too. I haven't heard back from them since, should I anticipate a rejection tomorrow, the last day in their 21 days response period? :(

Please let me know your take on this! Has anyone waited so long, until the last day, for an approval?

*I got a confirmation email from them saying they received my application*

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Finding WHP Application status

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 7:48 pm

InternVen wrote:*
Where does it say about the 21 day issue ?

WHP, as long as your school is good, is generally successful

That's what I know from Asians who did Uni in OZ.

InternVen

Re: RE: Finding WHP Application status

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 8:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... for-a-pass

It says around three weeks in bold, under the submit an application section.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Finding WHP Application status

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:07 pm

InternVen wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... for-a-pass

It says around three weeks in bold, under the submit an application section.
Around means .. Around, approximately, roughly....

Or my English sucks

InternVen

Re: RE: Re: RE: Finding WHP Application status

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
InternVen wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Around means .. Around, approximately, roughly....

Or my English sucks

True true, I was wondering if there are other people on here for whom it has taken so long too. I did some google searches and found accounts of two people who said that they had received a reply within 6-10 days.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Finding WHP Application status

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:43 pm

Sadly, this forum is not mandatory for any and everyone who applies for a visa. It's voluntary and while it's free, not everybody is into forums online. Therefore, with only two accounts to go by in 11 years of history here, that is surely NOT a good bet to stand behind. Most get their EPs in 2 to 4 weeks but some take upwards of 6 to 8 months. Go figure. Most times have lengthened in the last couple of years as the government trims it's dependence on foreign labour/talent or not so talented. You'll get it when they send it. Or not.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

InternVen

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, this forum is not mandatory for any and everyone who applies for a visa. It's voluntary and while it's free, not everybody is into forums online. Therefore, with only two accounts to go by in 11 years of history here, that is surely NOT a good bet to stand behind. Most get their EPs in 2 to 4 weeks but some take upwards of 6 to 8 months. Go figure. Most times have lengthened in the last couple of years as the government trims it's dependence on foreign labour/talent or not so talented. You'll get it when they send it. Or not.

Do you have any information on how to get hold of their customer service reps? I tried calling their number but I cannot get through to them without NRIC, FIN or Work Permit ID number.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:10 pm

Call the MOM hotline wait through the whole process until you get the message to have a good day and they hang up on you (after the second time on hold "please wait for an available officer"). Rinse, Repeat ad nauseum until you blow a gasket and then go to the MOM site and send them an online message addressing your problem. They will normally get back to you within two days or a little less. 1.5 days? Remember, in Singapore, to seem anxious only causes more grief as they can smell fear even over the phone line.

There is a number on the MOM contact page for customer service complaints. The problem is the same as calling the hotline. Answering service and no damned way to get a human being. It's become like this because of the cutback in all types of employment passes, PR applications, etc. Everybody and his brother is trying to get in "under the wire" and are desperately afraid they are going to have their gravy train derailed and they will have to return to their 3rd world toilet sooner than anticipated.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

InternVen

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Call the MOM hotline wait through the whole process until you get the message to have a good day and they hang up on you (after the second time on hold "please wait for an available officer"). Rinse, Repeat ad nauseum until you blow a gasket and then go to the MOM site and send them an online message addressing your problem. They will normally get back to you within two days or a little less. 1.5 days? Remember, in Singapore, to seem anxious only causes more grief as they can smell fear even over the phone line.

There is a number on the MOM contact page for customer service complaints. The problem is the same as calling the hotline. Answering service and no damned way to get a human being. It's become like this because of the cutback in all types of employment passes, PR applications, etc. Everybody and his brother is trying to get in "under the wire" and are desperately afraid they are going to have their gravy train derailed and they will have to return to their 3rd world toilet sooner than anticipated.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Honestly, this reply is hilarious. Well I'm not quite desperate to escape to the free world yet. I can assure you my life in the developing side is more than satisfying. I take it from your reply that there is no realistically viable way to get in touch with a human being in MOM.

Yes, I tried calling and I left a feedback/enquiry too.

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:34 pm

You are just going to have to wait. I went through the whole process several time at the end of April/beginning of May when I was converting one of my S pass holder (my accounts exec) who is from VN and is married to a VN lecturer at one of the uni's here and is a PR. With the new rules I was able to get her off the S pass and onto a Letter of Consent (which there are no quotas for). But it was a frustrating affair but they did get back to me the follow day before office hours were over. I had also sent them an company email as well as the online version. Oh. I'm an HR & Finance Mgr for a local 200 man SME here. Also a PR.

InternVen

Post by InternVen » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are just going to have to wait. I went through the whole process several time at the end of April/beginning of May when I was converting one of my S pass holder (my accounts exec) who is from VN and is married to a VN lecturer at one of the uni's here and is a PR. With the new rules I was able to get her off the S pass and onto a Letter of Consent (which there are no quotas for). But it was a frustrating affair but they did get back to me the follow day before office hours were over. I had also sent them an company email as well as the online version. Oh. I'm an HR & Finance Mgr for a local 200 man SME here. Also a PR.

That sounds like a complicated process. Since you're in HR, I have to ask, does every company have a certain quota for the number of interns they can apply a work permit for?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 12:03 am

Companies don't have a quota, per se, but the MOM has a quota of a maximum of 2000 WHPs in Singapore at any given time. So it all depends on how many have applied that are qualified and taken up the offer. Depending on the time of the year, I suppose it could be rather difficult. You are going to just hope. The numbers are not published anywhere so it's anybody's guess how many are still available at any point in time.

InternVen

Post by InternVen » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 2:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Companies don't have a quota, per se, but the MOM has a quota of a maximum of 2000 WHPs in Singapore at any given time. So it all depends on how many have applied that are qualified and taken up the offer. Depending on the time of the year, I suppose it could be rather difficult. You are going to just hope. The numbers are not published anywhere so it's anybody's guess how many are still available at any point in time.

I actually got my in-principle approval from them yesterday morning, yay! Thanks for the help though :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 2:44 pm

Congratulations. Probably the clubs/restaurants down on the quays aren't hiring as many foreign waiters/waitresses (western) as they used to cause business is bad what with the new liquor laws. They used to take advantage of the WHPs.

InternVen

Post by InternVen » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 2:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Congratulations. Probably the clubs/restaurants down on the quays aren't hiring as many foreign waiters/waitresses (western) as they used to cause business is bad what with the new liquor laws. They used to take advantage of the WHPs.
What's the new liquor law?