Singapore Expats

PR Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
drwho

PR Rejected

Post by drwho » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:11 pm

I'm not a first timer, just posting under a different name so I don't reveal myself to those who I know on the board.

So, just got PR rejected. Thought it might help others.
Male
Caucasian
$13k pm
run my own business with 5 employees, all locals or PR's with 1 local being a 20% shareholder and director.
Married over 1 year now, 9 months at time of application and wife is Filipino Chinese, mid-30's. Been together over 7 years so not exactly a fly by night marriage of convenience just to get a pass into Singapore!
Applied as main with wife who is employed and been here nearly 8 years at time of application. She has a salary of 4.5k pm. Works for a good non-bank MNC company.
She has degree from recognised Uni, I have nothing except secondary education but have a successful profitable business.
Lived in Singapore for 7.5 yrs at the time of application
Neither one of us bringing parents or any siblings into Singapore and no dependants either.
Application time: 6 months

Just got the kiss of death letter, you can continue to work in SG blah blah blah but no mention of apply again in 2 years time or anything.

Very disappointed actually. Been here long enough and ploughed a massive amount of money into staff, setting up the business etc etc. Over half of our revenue comes from overseas too.

Am probably going to appeal and see if I can get to sit in front of the person who made the decision, if that's possible, and explain our case. Maybe I missed something out on my application. Thought I had a bloody good chance considering of my investment in the country and job creation.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Rejected

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:09 am

That sucks. I think I'd try to appeal as well. I don't know if the appeal is heard by the same officer who did the rejection initially as was the case 25 years ago, but if it is, unless there was something overlooked it not likely to make a difference. But, if you get a different officer (how to tell? I don't know) It could make a difference.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 8:25 am

Yep, that sucks. Probably the only weaker point - no children, but I would expect the rest to outweigth it.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:00 am

Similar to me. I was 56 when I applied, too old I guess.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:07 am

No children would go against you but thought the business aspect would easily counter that.

I guess as martincymru says, maybe too old.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:43 am

43 is IMHO fine. Problems seem to start crossing the 50 line.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:17 am

Sorry to hear about the outcome, and all the best for your appeal.

My circumstances were similar to yours, but working in a known "desirable" industry, and I applied about 6 yrs ago now.

A couple of observations from your post:

1) You don't give the nature of your business: if its something like recruitment that is easily done locally without FT, then its not going to be massively in your favour I would think. Yes, your company creates jobs but they are looking at *your* value to Singapore.

2) Where in the application does it ask how long you've "been together" and how did you prove that? Otherwise, nine months of marriage looks *exactly* like a marriage of convenience (tho I am not sure who for, usually one partner has to be PR/SC already). Makes me wonder if you would have been successful as a solo applicant (but then there would be scrutiny as to why you're not applying for your wife too). Based on hearsay I believe that your wife's nationality is not flavour of the month either.

3) Education - SG is HOT on pieces of paper. My colleague applied a couple of years ago, similar age/salary to you, working in a known desirable industry. Similar profile to me in fact, although we are both single. I got my PR, he didn't. The only significant difference between us is that his highest education level is Secondary, whereas mine is PGDip. I would go as far to say that we've seen candidates from "less desirable" countries and massively lower earnings get PR, but the common theme seems to be a Masters in IT.

All the best for your appeal - aim to fill in the blanks, the answers to questions that are not asked on the PR application form. Build a case as to the value you bring to Singapore. You have a fairly lengthy stay and a good salary in your favour. Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:24 am

I've been told, unless it is something exceptional, the cutoff age is 45. Again, whether or not that has changedm I don't know. Having said that, I was 47 when I got my PR, but I got mine based on family ties and not the PTS scheme.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been told, unless it is something exceptional, the cutoff age is 45. Again, whether or not that has changedm I don't know. Having said that, I was 47 when I got my PR, but I got mine based on family ties and not the PTS scheme.
And times have changed since then.

drwho

Post by drwho » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:05 am

I'm not in a standard industry but don't want to say too much as it'll giveaway who I am :)

Funny you say they're HOT on pieces of paper yet they weren't bothered when I plunked in 100k of cash into a company, pay a shedload of tax every month to them and not to mention all the cpf monies, SDL, spent massive amounts of cash on equipment to local companies, suppliers etc etc. Maybe our turnover isn't enough for them. We're still a small growing company so we're not into millions of dollars but we're a solid company built for long term sustainability.

I think I'm pissed more at them because I've invested a lot of time and money here, never asked for a bean, paid all taxes as they've asked, employed locals as they asked etc etc. Basically met all of their criteria in running the business over the last 7 odd years, and even when they moved the goal posts have met those too, and then basically had 2 fingers shoved in front of my face.

My thoughts right now, which is not a good decision to make I know, is to fire everyone and just move the business offshore. Take the tax monies etc etc and put it somewhere else. Rash decision and not something I'm gonna do but makes me better for saying it lol.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:06 am

My 2 bits here - perhaps build / paint a picture of what your proposed lives here maybe if you obtain your PR. 9 months being married can be seen a fly by night - perhaps show evidence to the contrary, photos taken, letters/emails written.

When I applied for my British PR/indefinite leave to remain, decades ago, despite living together whilst in university for years, I have had to show the authorities letters with envelope and stamps in tack and had to document our time together.

The lessons learnt from that was that with our PR this time around in SG, I painted a picture of our lives here, settling down, buying a home, growing roots etc. We are in a known desired profession with university degrees and is in our 40s when we applied 3 years ago. I didnt know about the 45 years of age cut off point.

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Post by ful babu » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:12 pm

drwho wrote:I'm not a first timer, just posting under a different name so I don't reveal myself to those who I know on the board.

So, just got PR rejected. Thought it might help others.
Male
Caucasian
$13k pm
run my own business with 5 employees, all locals or PR's with 1 local being a 20% shareholder and director.
Married over 1 year now, 9 months at time of application and wife is Filipino Chinese, mid-30's. Been together over 7 years so not exactly a fly by night marriage of convenience just to get a pass into Singapore!
Applied as main with wife who is employed and been here nearly 8 years at time of application. She has a salary of 4.5k pm. Works for a good non-bank MNC company.
She has degree from recognised Uni, I have nothing except secondary education but have a successful profitable business.
Lived in Singapore for 7.5 yrs at the time of application
Neither one of us bringing parents or any siblings into Singapore and no dependants either.
Application time: 6 months

Just got the kiss of death letter, you can continue to work in SG blah blah blah but no mention of apply again in 2 years time or anything.

Very disappointed actually. Been here long enough and ploughed a massive amount of money into staff, setting up the business etc etc. Over half of our revenue comes from overseas too.

Am probably going to appeal and see if I can get to sit in front of the person who made the decision, if that's possible, and explain our case. Maybe I missed something out on my application. Thought I had a bloody good chance considering of my investment in the country and job creation.
I am not sure how big is your investment but have you considered EDB route ?

http://www.edb.gov.sg/content/dam/edb/e ... eet-EN.pdf

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 1:06 pm

Just goes to show much much things have changed since 2008. Almost 180 degrees. There was a time when they gave away PRs to just about anybody. I personally know so many of those people who have treated PR like toilet paper and chucked it and have left this place already. And here we are doing all the right things with the right intentions, yet no go.