Singapore Expats

Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
American
Regular
Regular

Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by American » Tue, 26 May 2015 8:23 pm

Hello All,

I recently applied for, and got my PEP approved. My intent is to stay in Singapore for the long-run and eventually apply for PR.

The timeframe to get my PEP was very fast, a little over 15 working days. My question is - does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate, as compared to someone who requires a company to sponsor your EP? Or do companies prefer candidates who require an EP, since EP's are more tied to the company? My reasoning that a PEP candidate would be more favorable, compared to a similar candidate (similar background/experience/education/skills), is that the hiring company does not have to apply for an EP, shortening the timeframe to start work and eliminating the risk of EP rejection.

Are there any HR people, or people with active PEP's, on this forum that could chime in?

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 26 May 2015 10:43 pm

You mean more favourable to the company? I guess technically it saves them a little bit of work applying for an EP, but if they are considering candidates at the kind of salary level that is required for a PEP, then chances of refusing the EP are slim anyway. Another way of looking at it - with a PEP you can change jobs more easily than an EP candidate, but a PEP candidate is more likely to be in Singapore already and thus less/no relocation costs.
I think for any company the priority would be the right person for the job. PR and Citizens with the same skillset would be preferable in any case...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 May 2015 12:18 am

American wrote:My reasoning that a PEP candidate would be more favorable, compared to a similar candidate (similar background/experience/education/skills), is that the hiring company does not have to apply for an EP, shortening the timeframe to start work and eliminating the risk of EP rejection.
If an employer looks at your EP or PEP status or whatever, they are of SME mentality, in which case, the base pay to fulfill your PEP will be not likely to be met

The types who will hesitate are the types who are willing to employ EP holders, as PR/SC means they have to pay CPF, and once an EP Holder gets PR, they will find a way to kick the guy out or negotiate his pay downwards

Don't lower your standards - if you got PEP, you have high standards - look for such high standard Employers !
Last edited by ecureilx on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 27 May 2015 1:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Like a company I am working closely with, they are a start up, pay top $ for engineers, and they cross 12K and above a month, and most are on EP, and some guys have never been to Singapore until they secured the job.
Wow , I am really in the wrong field.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Wed, 27 May 2015 4:06 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:You mean more favourable to the company? I guess technically it saves them a little bit of work applying for an EP, but if they are considering candidates at the kind of salary level that is required for a PEP, then chances of refusing the EP are slim anyway. Another way of looking at it - with a PEP you can change jobs more easily than an EP candidate, but a PEP candidate is more likely to be in Singapore already and thus less/no relocation costs.
I think for any company the priority would be the right person for the job. PR and Citizens with the same skillset would be preferable in any case...
This is excellent feedback and I appreciate the perspective. It comes down to the specialized skillset that drives your offer not the fact that it is slightly more convenient to hire you. A highly reputable company will focus on skills not ease of hiring as an EP vs PEP are negligible. I guess a PEP was designed for convenience for the PEP holder vs making it easier for companies to hire you.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 May 2015 5:11 pm

bro75 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Like a company I am working closely with, they are a start up, pay top $ for engineers, and they cross 12K and above a month, and most are on EP, and some guys have never been to Singapore until they secured the job.
12k is on the low side

Discussion about pay scale is a taboo subject but I know most of the recruits all rented their own while condo units, very near the city, even though they are all bachelors.

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 27 May 2015 6:54 pm

bro75 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

I am in the right field, but I am not sure if I am the right person. I sometimes feel I am stretching myself trying to do something that is perceived to be the best thing to do and I pretend to like something but not sure if I really like it.

Regarding 12k salary, there will always be someone earning much more than you no matter how much you earn and beyond a certain point incremental money doesn't bring happiness.

I read an article that said in the US the magic figure is 75k PA upto which more money brings more happiness.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 May 2015 10:16 am

Wd40 wrote: I am in the right field, but I am not sure if I am the right person. .
Errrrrrr

Elsewhere, many moon ago, you did say how to make your boss happy :P :P and with talent like that I thought you do great :P

Anyway I am in the right field but wrong pay .. :oops::oops:

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does having a PEP make you a more favorable candidate?

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 29 May 2015 8:45 am

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote: I am in the right field, but I am not sure if I am the right person. .
Errrrrrr

Elsewhere, many moon ago, you did say how to make your boss happy :P :P and with talent like that I thought you do great :P

That is an essential skill, but that alone won't take you too far. A combination of sheer talent, luck and hard work does.

In my case I have lacked in sheer talent, but very good luck, some opportunism and some bouts of hard work have somewhat kept me afloat so far. I know many people who are much more talented then me, but i have been more fortunate to get those opportunities and take them.

Regarding, low salary, I believe, there are points in career where you should take some risk for a higher salary and then once you achieve that you should then aim for stability.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Fri, 29 May 2015 9:07 pm

"Like a company I am working closely with, they are a start up, pay top $ for engineers, and they cross 12K and above a month, and most are on EP, and some guys have never been to Singapore until they secured the job...
If an employer looks at your EP or PEP status or whatever, they are of SME mentality...
Don't lower your standards - if you got PEP, you have high standards - look for such high standard Employers ![/quote]

Your last comment is spot on. Thanks for the words of encouragement. And Engineers on EP making 12k/month, which is the PEP minimum, is quite a normal salary in 1st world countries for those with the highly specialized in demand skills.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:08 pm

This post is now getting discussed elsewhere:
http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/06/05/an ... work-pass/

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Sat, 06 Jun 2015 12:46 am

Wd40 wrote:This post is now getting discussed elsewhere:
http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/06/05/an ... work-pass/
Seems my original post has been taken out of context to "fuel the flames" -c'est la vie, it is public domain. Won't stop me from contributing and benefiting from this forum going forward. Much appreciated to hear personal feedback from those with past PEP experiences, beyond the officially stated rules - that's what forums are for after all, to hear from others with past experiences, beyond just reviewing the officially documented laws. It's a global economy that is becoming more and more borderless, and less "protectionalist". If a country is focused on economic growth and innovation, it's in it's interest to pick and choose from a diverse, global talent pool. America's Silicon Valley wouldn't be Silicon Valley, and Singapore wouldn't be Singapore, without talent beyond it's borders. We live in an Alpha World City and I assume many would like to keep it that way. Some day, my current skills will be obsolete as another "foreigner" will be able to do it cheaper, better, or faster, or all of the above. It's about staying ahead of the curve, advancing and improving current capabilities, and competing in the global economy.