Singapore Expats

TAX/IRAS - I WANT TO PAY EARLY(NOW)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

TAX/IRAS - I WANT TO PAY EARLY(NOW)

Post by martincymru » Tue, 19 May 2015 5:47 pm

My employer has today refused to inform IRAS today of my income for year 2014. They are on the scheme.

I quote:

"You are not required to file your current year Income Tax Return. Your Notice of Assessment for Year of Assessment 2015 will be sent to you based on the income information transmitted to IRAS by your employer".
"Generally, most taxpayers should receive their Notice of Assessment by September".

My employer wishes to leave it till the last minute. What can I do to force them since I wish to pay now (early)?

What implications for me if (a) he informs late (b) not at all ?

x9200

Re: TAX/IRAS - I WANT TO PAY EARLY(NOW)

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 May 2015 6:50 pm

I'm not sure if understand your post. AFAIK under AIS (Auto-Inclusion Scheme) the employer has to send all the information to IRAS by March so your employer most likely sent it already over 2 months ago.
Later, this is IRAS processing the data to come up with the assessment letter. It may take few months.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 19 May 2015 8:05 pm

The letter is quite normal, and as X9 says the employer has probably sent it to IRAS in March. This is a notification from IRAS saying you don't need to file a separate one yourself.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 May 2015 8:20 pm

martincymru wrote:My employer has today refused to inform IRAS today of my income for year 2014. They are on the scheme.

They are on WHAT scheme? If you mean the Auto -Inclusion scheme they have no choice if they have 12 or more employees. Also, they have to submit before March 1st for all employees, by law. They cannot submit partial submissions. IF they have submitted (they don't have to give you an IR8Ae anymore but most employers still give them out - I do). You can use your SingPass to log into the IRAS site and check your IDRS - see the hyperlink below for details.
Can I exclude the payroll of expatriates from the submission if the expatriates’ employment details are still not available by 1 Mar?
No, you are required to submit the employment income information of all employees including expatriates and directors who receive director's fees.

However, if you are unable to submit the expatriate's information by 1 Mar, please email to [email protected] stating:

the name and ID of the organisation;
the ID(s) of the affected employee(s);
the number of employees affected;
the expected date of submission; and
reason(s) for extension.
I quote:

"You are not required to file your current year Income Tax Return. Your Notice of Assessment for Year of Assessment 2015 will be sent to you based on the income information transmitted to IRAS by your employer".
"Generally, most taxpayers should receive their Notice of Assessment by September".

If you received that letter/sms/email from IRAS then they already have all of your income from your employer (see the AIS scheme above) and that is the reason you have been sent that notice. However, IF your income or deductions have changed from the previous years, e.g., self employment income or a change of deductions. Then you can manually file a tax return but you should put '0' for income or only the additional income not reported (new employer,etc, not on the AIS scheme).

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=3260

My employer wishes to leave it till the last minute. What can I do to force them since I wish to pay now (early)?

It's not your employer. The fact that you got that non-filing notice means IRAS already has your income for 2014. Are you still working for your employer? If so, if you leave, they must file an IR-21 Tax Clearance 30 days prior to your last day of work. The IRAS will compute your current year taxes and send the bill to your employer to pay. They will also send a copy for you as well. The employer is required by law to withhold ALL monies due you from the moment they give or you give your termination/resignation. So be careful not to give notice a day or two prior to getting your paycheck as you will end up with two months salary withheld until the taxes are computed and paid. Then the employer has to deduct those taxes from the monies being held and paying you the rest.

My suggestion, if you want to pay early, is to make a trip down to IRAS at Newton Road and try talking to them. They are easy to talk to and will probably get you sorted out pdq.

What implications for me if (a) he informs late (b) not at all ?
If he files an IR-21 late he could be fined up to $1000 per instance. Not sure on the penalties for not filing if under the AIS scheme, or submitting the IR8A's manually if less than 12 employees.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 19 May 2015 11:06 pm

Yeah my experience has always been good at the IRAS office too. Fast and efficient.

You can make a payment any time - just write the check and hand it in at IRAS. You can probably guess your tax burden from last year and/or the IRAS calculator. Then when you do get your Notice of Assessment in late May/early June, there will be nothing on the account due (or pass a few $$ to even it up).

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 20 May 2015 8:46 am

Thanks all for the useful info. I am clear now, especially:

"The fact that you got that non-filing notice means IRAS already has your income for 2014".

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 May 2015 9:17 am

+ to curiousgeorge on the early payment part. They would never say no to advanced tax payment :P