Singapore Expats

'Singapore: My 2nd home' - for PRCs

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

'Singapore: My 2nd home' - for PRCs

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 May 2015 3:38 am

'SINGAPORE — Nationals from the People’s Republic of China will be able to extend the validity of their Multiple Journey Visas for up to a maximum of 10 years from June 1, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) said in a statement today (May 15).

The visa allows Chinese visitors to come and go from Singapore without having to reapply each time. If the main applicant is eligible, the same facility will also be extended to their spouse and children under the age of 21, said ICA. The application process and processing fee for the visa remains unchanged.

ICA added: “The move will provide greater convenience for PRC nationals, especially business travellers, who travel often to Singapore.”

Eligible applicants will also be able to use the automated immigration clearance at Singapore’s checkpoints, said ICA, adding that more details will be announced at a later date.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/mu ... tors-china
------------------------------

Open door to the north?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'Singapore: My 2nd home' - for PRCs

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 16 May 2015 7:18 am

JR8 wrote:'SINGAPORE — Nationals from the People’s Republic of China will be able to extend the validity of their Multiple Journey Visas for up to a maximum of 10 years from June 1, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) said in a statement today (May 15).

The visa allows Chinese visitors to come and go from Singapore without having to reapply each time. If the main applicant is eligible, the same facility will also be extended to their spouse and children under the age of 21, said ICA. The application process and processing fee for the visa remains unchanged.

ICA added: “The move will provide greater convenience for PRC nationals, especially business travellers, who travel often to Singapore.”

Eligible applicants will also be able to use the automated immigration clearance at Singapore’s checkpoints, said ICA, adding that more details will be announced at a later date.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/mu ... tors-china
------------------------------

Open door to the north?
Err, if I read the whole story, it was about Multiple Entry visas, for eligible PRC passport holders, in lieu of LTVP/DP/PR ???

I believe it is primarily targeted to spouses and childrens of SCs.

And the business travelers too.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 May 2015 8:26 am

Yep. I understand it the same. Just extended validity of a multiple entry visa. Nothing to do with the right to stay in SG any longer than any other short term visitors.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 May 2015 10:18 am

re: 'ICA added: “The move will provide greater convenience for PRC nationals, especially business travellers, who travel often to Singapore.”'
ecureilx wrote: Err, if I read the whole story, it was about Multiple Entry visas, for eligible PRC passport holders, in lieu of LTVP/DP/PR ??? I believe it is primarily targeted to spouses and childrens of SCs. And the business travelers too.
It doesn't seem that clear to me.
You suggest it's in lieu of LTVP/DP/PR, but since when does a 'business traveller' want residency for his dependents?

And all the background checks and hurdles to get say an LTVP, that's no longer going to apply if you have a PRC passport.... sail right in on a 10-yr SVP? :)

--- Interesting this only applies to one nationality.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: 'Singapore: My 2nd home' - for PRCs

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 16 May 2015 1:50 pm

JR8 wrote: And all the background checks and hurdles to get say an LTVP, that's no longer going to apply if you have a PRC passport.... sail right in on a 10-yr SVP? :)

--- Interesting this only applies to one nationality.
Well they haven't said what's the maximum stay per entry ...

Previously Malaysia gave out similar Multiple Entry Visa but every 3 months the holder must go out of the country ....this was mainly given to Asean spouses of Malaysians... in lieu of PR (long before the MM2H scheme was launched ... )

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 16 May 2015 1:59 pm

This isn't a 10yr SVP. Unlike most countries, PRC does not get SVP on arrival. This just allows PRC nationals 10 years worth of visits to obtain a SVP on arrival. Like a 10-yr multiple entry to the US for example.

So, PRC is getting preferential treatment to say India or Pakistan, but it's still worse then Vietnam, Indonesia, or any other ASEAN country.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 16 May 2015 6:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote:This isn't a 10yr SVP. Unlike most countries, PRC does not get SVP on arrival. This just allows PRC nationals 10 years worth of visits to obtain a SVP on arrival. Like a 10-yr multiple entry to the US for example.
And on a visit visa what you can do here is limited. Even insurance is a no go.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 May 2015 6:29 pm

ecureilx wrote: And on a visit visa what you can do here is limited. Even insurance is a no go.
What insurance? For example if I travelled on business I'd expect to have some insurance coverage from my employer. If I travelled on holiday I'd expect to have my own holiday insurance.

It's a shame the article isn't clearer, you know:
'What the rules were -
What the rules now are -
The reason for the changes -
Who it will effect, and how [examples (if necessary)] -

Because above, I just see 'my understanding of this is' etc. And you can be sure that down the line someone will be here asking what the XYZ of it means...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 16 May 2015 11:27 pm

JR8, I think it is quite clear. Citizens of the following (very few) countries need to apply for a visa before arriving at Changi. Mainland Chinese are on that unfortunate list. All this means is that their visa is valid for 10 years (not a 10 year stay). Even something like a Cuban passport is better than this.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=252

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 May 2015 9:35 am

Fascinating. Given that Singaporeans do not need visa to go to China, I'd have thought there is some kind of MoU going on between China and Singapore (Chinese nationals not needing visa as well).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 May 2015 10:40 am

the lynx wrote:Fascinating. Given that Singaporeans do not need visa to go to China, I'd have thought there is some kind of MoU going on between China and Singapore (Chinese nationals not needing visa as well).
There is no doubt that visa rules/charges tend to be reciprocal.
- You let our citizens in for free, we will yours too
- You want to charge them $200 for a visa? Oh, well we'll reciprocate.

I think this is what India has discovered.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 May 2015 11:37 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Fascinating. Given that Singaporeans do not need visa to go to China, I'd have thought there is some kind of MoU going on between China and Singapore (Chinese nationals not needing visa as well).
There is no doubt that visa rules/charges tend to be reciprocal.
- You let our citizens in for free, we will yours too
- You want to charge them $200 for a visa? Oh, well we'll reciprocate.

I think this is what India has discovered.
Reciprocal works, when both countries are strong willed and powerful.

On the other hand, I know, for a certain passport holder, to go to Philippines, they have to cough up 180 $ for visa, whereas Filipinos get free entry in reverse. (can't blame the Filipinos as they said they will do a VOA for reciprocity, like 3 years ago, and the bill is still being tabled ... or so is their excuse)

And again, another country allows nearly the whole world VOA - as they need tourists, but the same country passport holders are treated suspiciously, even when they go to other third world countries ..

And an anecdote, apparently Indians used to get VOA in Singapore, till 1970s or so, I was told, until due to some diplomatic war, apparently due to LKYs view of India's future, India got offended, and enforced visa for Singaporeans and Singapore did a tit-for-tat .. (or maybe that's just a rumour .. ) - I know there is too many 'apparently .. '

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 May 2015 12:11 pm

The UK charges large visa fees for Indians, but one could argue that's because half of them aren't on holiday, they're trying to move there, and the background checks are expensive.

So, India in return charges huge visa fees for UK tourists = result? No one goes there on holiday any more.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 May 2015 4:22 pm

JR8 wrote:The UK charges large visa fees for Indians, but one could argue that's because half of them aren't on holiday, they're trying to move there, and the background checks are expensive.

So, India in return charges huge visa fees for UK tourists = result? No one goes there on holiday any more.
well .. a little off thread anyway, but if you have seen a Philippine Embassy Visa receipt, there is a breakdown -

Visa Fee W $
Notarisation Fee X $
Documentation fee Y $
Special Power of Attorney Fee Z $

whereas the reciprocal countries charges Visa Fee Only (which is X$ or nearby there)

Probably the UK Embassy should give a breakdown, so India can try to justify their reciprocal costs

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 May 2015 7:09 pm

ecureilx wrote: well .. a little off thread anyway, but if you have seen a Philippine Embassy Visa receipt, there is a breakdown -
Visa Fee W $
Notarisation Fee X $
Documentation fee Y $
Special Power of Attorney Fee Z $
whereas the reciprocal countries charges Visa Fee Only (which is X$ or nearby there)
Probably the UK Embassy should give a breakdown, so India can try to justify their reciprocal costs
I think a difference is that the UK-HC don't do all that extra stuff. i.e. Notarising and documenting etc. Their attitude is that they're an embassy and not a lawyers office.
I remember last time I went to the embassy for something or other vaguely 'indirect', and their attitude was 'Yah!? How can we provide this [notarisation of marriage/status/residency or what-ever it was etc], we haven't a clue who you are. Bye bye :roll: '