Singapore Expats

Fibre Internet: My Republic/ViewQuest/Starhub/Singtel

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Fibre Internet: My Republic/ViewQuest/Starhub/Singtel

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 3:07 pm

UrbanNomad wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: They're equally crappy quality last I checked (about a year or so ago), just different content. Singtel has more non-EPL sports. Starhub had more movies/non sports content. However Starhub is also analog, which meant that the chinese subtitles were hard-coded into most shows and you couldn't turn them off. (was? maybe this is changed)
HahAhahaha. Looks like the mrs and me are going to have fun choosing a cable provider :)
Go with ViewQuest or MyRepublic, and buy a digital box like an AppleTV, Roku, Xbox, or one of the no-name ones available in Simlim or Funan.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 7:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Go with ViewQuest or MyRepublic, and buy a digital box like an AppleTV, Roku, Xbox, or one of the no-name ones available in Simlim or Funan.
Yes, signed up for MyRepublic. Gotta convince the missus on watching movies etc. via AppleTV rather than HBO etc that she is so used to.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:57 pm

UrbanNomad wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Go with ViewQuest or MyRepublic, and buy a digital box like an AppleTV, Roku, Xbox, or one of the no-name ones available in Simlim or Funan.
Yes, signed up for MyRepublic. Gotta convince the missus on watching movies etc. via AppleTV rather than HBO etc that she is so used to.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:04 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
UrbanNomad wrote:
Looked it up and found this: http://qz.com/357668/hbos-streaming-ser ... -know-yet/

So HBO Now will be perfect!!

You da man! Thanks :)

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 9:33 am

I signed up with ViewQwest a few months back and got a free android-based TV box (similar to HDTV). Pre-loaded with Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, various Korean/Vietnamese/Chinese similar services.

I don't do major news or sports TV anyway, so I haven't signed with a TV provider.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:19 am

curiousgeorge wrote:I signed up with ViewQwest a few months back and got a free android-based TV box (similar to HDTV). Pre-loaded with Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, various Korean/Vietnamese/Chinese similar services.

I don't do major news or sports TV anyway, so I haven't signed with a TV provider.
Does that box work ok? Mine sucks. Slow.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 2:28 pm

PNGMK wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:I signed up with ViewQwest a few months back and got a free android-based TV box (similar to HDTV). Pre-loaded with Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, various Korean/Vietnamese/Chinese similar services.

Apple TV is down to $69 USD now. If you use legit services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc) it's the way to go.

The Roku ones are nice too.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 3:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Apple TV is down to $69 USD now. If you use legit services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc) it's the way to go.

The Roku ones are nice too.
I know they offer a new version every few months (latest version came out two weeks after I got mine) How old is yours? Mine works fine. Is it the box or the streaming that is slow? I use a WDTV box in the bedroom too.

Apple TV is fine if you're willing to pay $69 instead of free ;) And lets face it, none of those services are legit in Singapore, all require DNS spoofing or VPN to operate and the terms of your licence with Netflix etc require you to NOT use them outside of the country of subscription.
So, if you're not legit, why not go proper non-legit and enjoy the chinese services like PPTV that offer newer movies than netflix, for free?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 6:32 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
I know they offer a new version every few months (latest version came out two weeks after I got mine) How old is yours? Mine works fine. Is it the box or the streaming that is slow? I use a WDTV box in the bedroom too.

Apple TV is fine if you're willing to pay $69 instead of free ;) And lets face it, none of those services are legit in Singapore, all require DNS spoofing or VPN to operate and the terms of your licence with Netflix etc require you to NOT use them outside of the country of subscription.
So, if you're not legit, why not go proper non-legit and enjoy the chinese services like PPTV that offer newer movies than netflix, for free?
I think you just got yours at an unlucky time then, as mine is the previous model and I've had it over 2.5 years.

The advantage of the AppleTV over a random Chinese one is that you can be reasonably confident Apple will be around to keep issuing software updates so it always 'works'. There is also a bit of a difference between possibly violating a service's geo-block by using a spoofed DNS or VPN vs. a box to stream straight-up pirated content. :)

flowing

Post by flowing » Wed, 13 May 2015 5:39 pm

Are there any cheaper options? I am honestly right now running at 15mbps in Europe and thats all I need and what all of the providers in SG want to charge is what would get me covered for 6 months back at home. Dont really need the gigabit connection....

So whats the best simplest choice here? Also anyone has good experiences with a universal DNS/VPN service that would enable Netflix and also work well on Skype and torrents if need be?

Thanks!