Singapore Expats

time-lapse photography

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
x9200

time-lapse photography

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:55 am

If you are into this sort of things (or looking for a reason to start the fan) and have an unrestricted view (work, home) then now it is the right time to get nice photos showing what is the weather in Singapore really about. For about 2 weeks, practically every day it is like this:
- early morning, a bit cloudy
- sunny day until ~4pm
- storms with showers until ~6pm

Below, a time-lapse video, 25fps with a picture taken every 10s, Hillview area, infrared with 720nm cut off filter, blue/red channels swapped.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: time-lapse photography

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 1:19 pm

How interesting, thanks for sharing that. It took me a while to figure out the sea-foam/Rockwool looking stuff are trees :)

Yep the current season really does feel like Groundhog Day. Today the rain's kicked off slightly earlier than usual, 1pm, that suggests to me that there is a load of water to come... [considering temperature/relative humidity etc].
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 3:40 pm

I've done a bit of this myself. I use my iPhone actually and like to get sunsets. I should have done it yesterday as the views were amazing.

I'll post some later.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 3:40 pm

Nice !! Should try with my camera .. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 4:12 pm

JR8 wrote:How interesting, thanks for sharing that. It took me a while to figure out the sea-foam/Rockwool looking stuff are trees :)
You're welcome!
In IR greenery appears brighter and bluish objects including the sky, darker. The benefit of using IR (apart from getting surrealistically looking images) is that it practically removes haze including the smog and to some extent also natural mist (water vapor). Combined with the sky now darker it makes clouds much better visible.

Still have to solve few issues. The main one is the exposure time. The automatic one I use right now is not reliable and it produces "flashing" effects especially at the lower light. I can not fix the exposure time - differences to big over the whole day and different weather scenarios. I will have to write a script making some sort of running average.

The camera is Raspberry Pi NOIR Camera attached to Raspberry Pi A+ model.

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 7:36 pm

Fantastic stuff. Was great watching the convective cloud buildup with the shelf cloud dumping its load of rain and the subsequent back building which eventually didn't amount to any rain, just the beauty of nature. Keep it up :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 8:14 pm

Another one from last Saturday. Lots of "flashing" but with nice rain-front hitting the location.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 8:41 pm

Sorry for the music. I'm bad at matching stuff up :P

That was just from an iPhone 5(5S?) with an app called "LapseIt". Stabilized with a GorillaPod.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 8:50 pm

[quote="x9200"]Another one from last Saturday. Lots of "flashing" but with nice rain-front hitting the location. [....]

Mmmm.... sublime!
How do you choreograph music, what do you pick? Has the week been more AC/DC or One Direction? :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 8:57 pm

Here's a fun one I took at a place called "Instagram Pier" in Hong Kong. A "behind the scenes" of all of those trendy asian hipster jump-shots and such you see.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 9:00 pm

JR8 wrote: How do you choreograph music, what do you pick? Has the week been more AC/DC or One Direction? :)
I just searched my mp3s for something named Sunset. Found that one, by The XX. Worked OK :) I have another version that uses a different part of the song without lyrics, sounds much better. But the video itself is cropped 1:1 so isn't as impressive.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 9:03 pm

For all the weather dynamic stuff the best music match I found so far is the opening part of the Spiderman soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLIWAHiYkk

For copyright reasons I have not mixed it in for the YT version.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 May 2015 6:13 am

And I just came across a dedicated Time Lapse camera :)

http://brinno.com/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 May 2015 8:53 am

ecureilx wrote:And I just came across a dedicated Time Lapse camera :)

Check the website for brinno
A good concept for such a amateur camera, with very good battery life, also reasonably priced and with exchangeable lens that appear to be with the CS mount.
But, 1.3MP is a shame. No filter mount neither.

Now, if someone is slightly more technical to what is required for the Brinno cams (s)he may chose a basic Canon camera, for example PowerShot A810 that can be bought brand new for less than SGD100 on Ebay, and turn it into extremely flexible tool using CHDK firmware extension. CHDK basically provides full camera control including execution of scripts. It is not only time-lapse but for example, lightning photography and many many other things.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

It is more easy than it appears. CHDK is simply copied to the SD card into specific directory. A script for time-lapse (for example), is copied to the script directory within the CHDK tree. During camera boot CHDK is loaded and the script can be chosen via menu. Parameters are adjusted and the script executed. That's all.