Singapore Expats

Confusion over license conversion & worried I can't start new job!

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Confusion over license conversion & worried I can't start new job!

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 9:26 am

Something else to note, he's on a UK license. The UK license (at least the one I have) effectively doesn't expire during ones working life*, so renewing it or changing it is not something a Brit considers; it is 'off ones radar'. I appreciate the issue of 'license conversion when becoming resident in a foreign jurisdiction' etc. I'm sure the SGn cops/authorities are familiar with the scenario re: Brits, let's hope he gets a sympathetic hearing.

*My own license was issued in the 1980s, and only requires renewing on something like my 70th, 75th birthday [?]. My father recently went through this, and IIRC it required a visit to the doctor, and certification that he was still mentally fit to drive. That is then required every few years, from that age.

I've never driven here, so never had a SGn license. This stint here, MrsJR8 decided to buy a car, cheap from a relative. I can't drive it since, we'd already lived here 1yr+ when she bought it, and I can't be bothered applying for a SGn license now, from scratch, given how rarely I might wish to drive.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 9:40 am

My original driving license also never expires but no worry, this "conversion" is a wrong term. One does not need to give up the original license to obtain the Singapore one.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:51 pm

I looked into this a few years back. A friend kept using the 12 month thing as an excuse not to ride. You can convert your licence at any time.

He converted 8 years after arriving.

He then moved back to London. ](*,)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 1:05 pm

bgd wrote:I looked into this a few years back. A friend kept using the 12 month thing as an excuse not to ride. You can convert your licence at any time. He converted 8 years after arriving.
He then moved back to London. ](*,)
I have to say it's counter-intuitive.
For example when you arrive, Day-1, you know nothing of local idiosyncrasies re: road-law etc., yet can apparently drive here. And getting a local license is simply paperwork [?]
Leave it to Day-365 when if you've been driving you probably understand such laws/rules etc, er then you can't drive unless you take the full local test [?]
I appreciate the idea of 'grace periods' etc for tourists, but one whole year?

Meanwhile, coincidentally, here's an article from the UK press today re: UK license changes, and the chaos it's causing. This time in the cause of stream-lining everything across the United States of Europe, or EU. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rival.html
'Holiday car hire chaos as paper part of your driving licence is axed: Britons heading to Europe face nightmare of being unable to pick up hire car upon arrival'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 1:22 pm

I guess the logic behind is to force people to do the conversion, otherwise nobody would do it. With 1/3 of the population being foreigners this could be a real issue.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Confusion over license conversion & worried I can't start new job!

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 7:12 pm

x9200 wrote:I guess the logic behind is to force people to do the conversion, otherwise nobody would do it. With 1/3 of the population being foreigners this could be a real issue.
I just found out the benefits of not converting the license ;)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:30 am

I probably would not have converted mine had I not been picked up driving a commercial vehicle in 1991 (after a motorbike ran into me) and I was arrested on the spot. I was taken down to the old Maxwell Road Police Station and placed in a cell. I had to ring the one and only Singaporean director of the company that owned the commercial vehicle to post bond for me. I converted my license that day at the station (no basic theory required back then). I was charged but ultimately managed to convince the IO to give me a dismissal on the basis that I had a Singapore drivers license (even though it was valid the exact same day as the accident). IF THE CHARGE HAD STUCK - I WOULD HAVE BEEN AT FAULT - regardless of the Malaysian bike riders fault and I would have been personally liable for all damages - both property and person.

So you think it doesn't matter? It does matter.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 06 May 2015 2:17 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:One more thing to add regarding your Basic Theory Test - STUDY. Seriously, you might think your home country is similar, you might think you know the rules of the road - but this is Singapore and the test is designed to catch you out.

i.e. "How many emergency exits are there in the KPE tunnel?"
i.e. you might know the blood alcohol limit is 80mg per 100ml of blood. But the question might be "what is the blood alcohol limit per 50ml of blood?"
And police hand signals...they are a sign language all of their own in the BTT. They are so complex and ridiculous, even the Traffic Police don't use them on the street.
This is so true. Wish I saw this before I took my test. Took the test after the 12 months period, it was ok. But 1st test, I failed as I did not study and gotten stumped with those hand signals :shock: