Singapore Expats

A Clockwork Orange

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

A Clockwork Orange

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 11:09 pm

60 years after it's production, it finally arrives here.
http://www.sistic.com.sg/events/clock11 ... ckwork0305

Mature enough yet?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Re: A Clockwork Orange

Post by uscate » Mon, 04 May 2015 5:02 am

Thanks for sharing, JR8….I cannot believe this is even CLOSE to the uncut original movie….although maybe it is….I remember watching The Sopranos on HBO, and being amazed that the gahmen was fine with showing a complete episode where one of the prostitutes was VERY brutally (and graphically) murdered, but had to pixilate any cleavage on a lighthearted cooking show….

A Clockwork Orange is a very disturbing, yet interesting movie, but even in a cleaner theater version I really don't think it's something that the mainstream Singaporean (who thinks it's OK to lock up a hormonal, yet seemingly very smart 16-17 year old for besmirching the legacy of the dear leader) will be comfortable with….Have fun with this one, Singapore….

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 May 2015 9:01 am

uscate wrote:Thanks for sharing, JR8….I cannot believe this is even CLOSE to the uncut original movie….although maybe it is….I remember watching The Sopranos on HBO, and being amazed that the gahmen was fine with showing a complete episode where one of the prostitutes was VERY brutally (and graphically) murdered, but had to pixilate any cleavage on a lighthearted cooking show….
A Clockwork Orange is a very disturbing, yet interesting movie, but even in a cleaner theater version I really don't think it's something that the mainstream Singaporean (who thinks it's OK to lock up a hormonal, yet seemingly very smart 16-17 year old for besmirching the legacy of the dear leader) will be comfortable with….Have fun with this one, Singapore….
---------
Morning!
I had to laugh. It struck me as so unexpected, and contrary. Like banning a Justin Bieber concert, then promoting a death-metal band whose entire genre centres on celebrating the drug-fuelled destruction of society. Yer know, if the former is too risque, are you really equipped to begin considering the latter?
As per your example (lol!), I sometimes wonder about how censorship works here. The pixillated glimpse of gratuitous cleavage on a cooking show; meanwhile a veritable convoy of drugs and sociopathic violence sails right through.

Meanwhile roll-up, roll-up ladies and gentlemen!... 'Standard: S$128, S$118, S$108, S$88, S$68'. EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT FOR DROOGS! SAVE $100*'
[Quoted from the SISTIC monthly events e-mail].
What next goody-bags of class-A drugs if you book for a party of 8? :lol: beyond irony :lol:
---------
'A Clockwork Orange is a dystopian novel by Anthony Burgess published in 1962. Set in a near future English society that has a subculture of extreme youth violence, the novella has a teenage protagonist, Alex, who narrates his violent exploits and his experiences with state authorities intent on reforming him.[1] When the state undertakes to reform Alex—to "redeem" him—the novella asks, "At what cost?".'
Alex, a teenager living in near-future dystopian England, leads his gang on a night of opportunistic, random "ultra-violence". Alex's friends ("droogs" in the novel's Anglo-Russian slang, 'Nadsat') are: Dim, a slow-witted bruiser who is the gang's muscle; Georgie, an ambitious second-in-command; and Pete, who mostly plays along as the droogs indulge their taste for ultra-violence. Characterized as a sociopath and a hardened juvenile delinquent, Alex also displays intelligence, quick wit, and a predilection for classical music; he is particularly fond of Beethoven, referred to as "Lovely Ludwig Van".
The novella begins with the droogs sitting in their favorite hangout (the Korova Milk Bar), drinking "milk-plus", a drink consisting of milk, prodded with the customer's choice of certain drugs, including "vellocet", "synthemesc", or "drencrom" (which is what Alex and his droogs were drinking, according to Alex's own first-person narration). This drug, referred to as "knives", would "sharpen you up", as it did for Alex, in preparation of the night's mayhem. They assault a scholar walking home from the public library, rob a store, leaving the owner and his wife bloodied and unconscious, stomp a panhandling derelict, then scuffle with a rival gang. Joyriding through the countryside in a stolen car, they break into an isolated cottage and maul the young couple living there, beating the husband and raping his wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange

And the above is just 'Act 1, Part 1' :o
---------

ref also: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Mon, 04 May 2015 9:47 am

should be interesting :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 May 2015 11:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7fO3bzPeBQ
'A Clockwork Orange - Trailer'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faML0QvVb2A
A Clockwork Orange - Break-in Scene (Warning: Graphic)
--------------------------------
What next, a 'dancing on ice' version? :)
apart from 'Driller Killer - the musical' I can't imagine many things less fitted for this country...

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 04 May 2015 5:48 pm

A "dancing on ice" version….perfect! I'll definitely look out for the reviews on this one….wonder if those goofballs on the Channel News Asia morning news will be previewing it??

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 04 May 2015 11:22 pm

No way they would be ready for the uncut version. As many times as I've seen it, it is still shocking even to me.

But always good to hear again Walter/Wendy Carlos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuohJDyYnlE

They will never see Singing In the Rain the same way again.

Steaky-wakes and eggy-weggs.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Return to “General Discussions”