Singapore Expats

PR Application- Indian Australian

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PR Application- Indian Australian

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:07 pm

midlet2013 wrote:Not just food, I also think some Indian movies, clothes and travel spots are world class. And, one may want to consider trying them once in a while in addition to the usual stuff most people try.
Blimey, are the ITB in the house tonight? :)

Could you suggest an Indian movie worth trying? Preferably one without male and female choruses of dancers coming on every 10 minutes yapping on about marriage? Something perhaps thought-provoking, and maybe a little challenging, educative... ?

Indian clothes can be cool. I still occasionally wear my now 30 year old lunghi. Very practical out this way!

Travel spots. Perhaps, but they often come with the downsides. Not least the upfront tourist visa costs, which must be one of the most expensive in the world..... sigh.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 9:26 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:it was not an assumption rather an opinion, I actually ate in Swensons a few times and it sucked every time. I would never eat there again. same for Sakae Sushi, I didn't skip the Bali Thai, I haven't tried it yet, I have however tried Balinese food and Thai food separately in Indonesia and Thailand respectively.
For all of these cuisines I prefer not to go to dine in restaurants but to normal "eating houses" where the food tastes more genuine and you don't feel like you've been ripped off.
^+1
Swensons tries to be Western, but at prices that are competitive in Singapore. The result is (to the Western palate) the swill they serve up. Same goes for the bread in Subway sandwiches. Same goes for Sakae sushi. JPnese without quality ($) ingredients is doomed to fail, that's Sakae Sushi for you.

Bali Thai.... can't say I've heard of it.
Bali Thai is an Indonesian-Thai place. Unfortunately its Thai food is as forgettable as its Thai Express and Siam Express (different companies!) counterpart.

Enough about food or Indians, where is throwaway22 now?!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:11 am

JR8 wrote: Could you suggest an Indian movie worth trying? Preferably one without male and female choruses of dancers coming on every 10 minutes yapping on about marriage? Something perhaps thought-provoking, and maybe a little challenging, educative... ?

Indian clothes can be cool. I still occasionally wear my now 30 year old lunghi. Very practical out this way!

you wear a lungi? hilarious! provide pictorial evidence
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:13 am

the lynx wrote: Bali Thai is an Indonesian-Thai place. Unfortunately its Thai food is as forgettable as its Thai Express and Siam Express (different companies!) counterpart.

Enough about food or Indians, where is throwaway22 now?!
what is throwaway22? we've derailed this thread as usual :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for those links RajATM, which I'm sure I'll enjoy checking out later/tom.

Re: the lungi, I'll take that over to 'Sundry Humour' > http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 9&start=90

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:05 pm

JR8 wrote:Thanks for those links RajATM, which I'm sure I'll enjoy checking out later/tom.

Re: the lungi, I'll take that over to 'Sundry Humour' > http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 9&start=90
And RATM has given a list of must-watch movies ;)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 May 2015 8:19 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11442392
"We have received things like tuna fish and mayonnaise. What good are those things for us? We need grains, salt and sugar," Finance Minister Ram Sharan Mahat told reporters Friday.
Even in a catastrophic situation people want to have their own food, so now you know what Indian food means to Indians :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 8:25 pm

Wd40 wrote:The cuisine issue is affecting the Nepal earth quake victims too:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11442392
"We have received things like tuna fish and mayonnaise. What good are those things for us? We need grains, salt and sugar," Finance Minister Ram Sharan Mahat told reporters Friday.
This happens in the aftermath of every 'disaster', the inevitable complaints. Tell you what though, dying people aren't that choosy.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 03 May 2015 9:33 pm

JR8 wrote: This happens in the aftermath of every 'disaster', the inevitable complaints. Tell you what though, dying people aren't that choosy.
errr. what is the dying person is a vegetarian, (like wd40 - who I presume is an vegetarian ?? :-k )

they would rather die, no kidding, than take something that they don't want .. somewhat akin to supplying baabi .. to ..

then again, post 2004 Tsunami, a Cargo flight was practically filled half with Cold weather wear .. and it flew in half way around the world ..

it's not about being choosy, but sending stuff that is not needed or unpalatable, is as good as not sending it.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 May 2015 9:46 pm

Dying people will eat anything. I am just pointing out how choosy Indians are regarding cuisine, that even in such dire circumstances you hear a comment like that.

I would imagine no other country in the world would say that, they would be more than gracious to accept anything that is edible. In fact I read that during the tsunami in Japan, the opposite happened. The Indian workers prepared Indian daal and rice and fed the Japanese and they were happy eating it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 9:50 pm

One time I hadn't eaten for maybe a week. My colleague took out his .45 and obliterated, at a range of about 5M, a Giant Ant-eater. *BAM!!!!* Pretty damned disgusting ant-eater stew, but it fed 8 of us.
Two days later on this Amazonian 'jungle survival' course with the Bolivian special forces, [not a holiday, we were in there for 3 months] we went back scooped up the remains, and made anteater guts and bracket-fungi stew. Totally desperate, don't recommend it, but it saw us through another day.
If you're that hungry, you will literally eat anything.
Obviously water is the big thing. Get that and most people can skip eating for up to a month, it's actually easier than you think, esp after about 3 days when the metabolism adjusts to zero input.

This 'We were sent the wrong kind of pickle in our free Big Macs' shtick just annoys me....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 10:08 pm

Don't know why we bothered adding the bracket fungi. Don't recommend it.
Anyway, one for over the 8th beer mahn.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 May 2015 10:18 pm

If I don't eat every 4 hrs, my stomach starts burning. Even when I wake up midnight, I am looking for the chocolate bar in the fridge. I can't imagine not eating for a week.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 10:26 pm

That stops after about 48hrs. The body just learns to.... 'shut up nagging'.

I don't recommend it, outside it being imposed on you. It is a sort of interesting 'realm'. No one teaches you what happens if you don't eat for 5 days.

[Pro-tip, forget about food, it's almost trivial: secure a water supply, on day 0. Water + shelter]

throwaway22

Re: Update - PR Application- Indian Australian

Post by throwaway22 » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:34 am

Well.. Here's a curve ball for you.. Our SPR came through! So I made this thread and forgot all about it but not before reading some of the comments. Some judgemental and some brutally honest opinions. I posted here fully expecting the good and the bad.. and I am not here to change any of that.

So in August last year we decided there was only one way to find out if we will obtain PR and we were pleasantly surprised when we received the IPA in November.. Timeline a tad over 3 months. We have since completed the formalities and got our Blue ICs and are really grateful.

Our application did not have any bells and whistles. We only provided what was asked for in the form and not a single document more.

So there you have it... we are fully settled in now
and looking forward to experience the Singaporean way of life for a long time to come. Cheers!