Singapore Expats

Singapore Gahmen Question - Does Anybody Sue?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Singapore Gahmen Question - Does Anybody Sue?

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Apr 2015 9:29 pm

I was reading the paper this morning and there was an article that noted that the state government was being sued over rules it had put in place regarding doctors (teledoctoring, actually). The lawsuit calls the rules a restraint of trade.

Beyond the actual merits of the lawsuit, I started to think back to see if I recall any instance where a citizen or company has/had sued any arm of the Singapore government as a way of objecting to and overturning rules and laws they find noxious. For example, has anyone ever sued MOM or ACRA or ICA because of their rulings and regulations?

I can't recall a single instance and I wonder if any long time residents are aware of push back against the government in the form of a lawsuit. It would seem that the gahmen and its bureaucratic arms do whatever they want to do with impunity.

Comments?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Singapore Gahmen Question - Does Anybody Sue?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:50 pm

I can't remember it happening. If you're local, odds-on you end up with a 'broken rice bowl', for life. As a foreigner, if you could ever find a lawyer with the death-wish to represent you... ?

Isn't it all about just doing as you're told here?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Singapore Gahmen Question - Does Anybody Sue?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 May 2015 1:01 am

Strong Eagle wrote:.
Comments?
The closest I know is the guy who took on Mindef for copyright infringement and lost... as expected but not due to the government steam rolling him (in my half legal opinion)

Though he sounds like he is intelligent he overlooked a lot of stuff on copyright laws when he presented his idea to Mindef.

Perils of not having the right copyright lawyer.

Oh, about doctors there's a doctor suing SMC's lawyers for over charging for a famous case that was about over charging a patient. Not sure where the case has gone so far.

SMC is in a way an arm of Ministry of Health!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 01 May 2015 9:56 am

Recently I read someone sued the National Parks because of death and damage from a tree, originally the NP said it was an act of God, correct me if I am wrong, but it was shown they did not maintain the trees sufficiently and that's what caused the tree to collapse? After that there was a flurry of activity with old and rotten trees being cut back etc.

Bit like in Hong Kong where instead of trees, pretty much every large boulder on the mountain side are monitored.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Singapore Gahmen Question - Does Anybody Sue?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 May 2015 11:29 am

QRM wrote:
Bit like in Hong Kong where instead of trees, pretty much every large boulder on the mountain side are monitored.
I think I heard Nparks say they introduced a few non native trees, primarily for shelter ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 May 2015 11:56 am

I know someone who successfully sued a hospital for egregious and terminal medical negligence, but the question (as I understand it) is re: suing the government for perceived 'unreasonable' and/or 'overbearing' laws. My answer to that is as previously, no, and I have difficulty imagining it happening, given the top-down nature of a guided-democracy.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 01 May 2015 12:30 pm

Not the gahmen but I saw a letter to the editor in the BCL from someone complaining about and requesting compensation from SMRT for an injury sustained from a bus ride where the driver drove aggressively and this passenger fell form an abrupt stop.

On one hand I thought he was a whinger and typically lacking of common sense, on the other, he has a point.

Something like this, and worse, is bound to happen. Some of these drivers are borderline reckless, and most drivers are now completely indifferent their passenger's comfort and well-being, to point of sometimes extreme jostling, sudden and jerky stopping, wide sweeping sharp turns, and driving faster than necessary.

It is only a matter of time before a senior citizen, who in following the local norm, gets out of their seat before the bus stops, falls from this kind of driving, and breaks a hip.

Heck, if I were them I'd sue for that. And there would probably have some recourse as there are no signs for this.

In Japan, few get up until the bus comes to a stop and everyone gets on and off in an orderly fashion. I prefer this way, and the contrary is a lower-class manner IMHO.

This is the part where SMS's practice differs from mine. But then he probably never saw how it works there.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 May 2015 1:00 pm

Brah wrote:In Japan, few get up until the bus comes to a stop and everyone gets on and off in an orderly fashion. I prefer this way, and the contrary is a lower-class manner IMHO.
Are you suggesting Singaporeans not be kiasu? Have you gone mad?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 02 May 2015 12:33 pm

Brah wrote:Not the gahmen but I saw a letter to the editor in the BCL from someone complaining about and requesting compensation from SMRT for an injury sustained from a bus ride where the driver drove aggressively and this passenger fell form an abrupt stop.
In Singapore bus drivers do wait for the passengers to sit, especially the older folks, and will wait for the passenger to get up and alight, again, for older folks.

The exception only applies when the drivers get frustrated (especially bus 65/67) when the commuters take their own cool time saying a dozen byes ..

Back to the topic, does anybody recall the Thai girl, who lost her fight against SMRT for negligence ?

Despite the 250,000 $ she got as donation, her family filed action demanding 3.4 million $ and the case was dismissed.

Probably the govt doesn't like the suing culture, when you fall and then ask another person to pay !

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Sun, 03 May 2015 5:01 am

1. no win no fee protects weak people.

2. no money = no justice.

3. "Some of these bus drivers are borderline reckless".
Correct, I said so on this forum 6 months ago.
Regretfully, there is no incentive for them to "change". Training per se in Asia is practically zero, again no incentive. No accountability.

4. Most expats who come here take backward step in career path (in education/intellectual terms).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 5:18 am

martincymru wrote:4. Most expats who come here take backward step in career path (in education/intellectual terms).

IME you'd hope to take a career step forward, to make up for the social step backwards whilst here. Same same how you can say, don't move here unless they're offering you double [your home pay].

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 03 May 2015 11:32 am

It has been done. Very difficult tho.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!