Singapore Expats

Non-residents to pay more for public sports facilities

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Non-residents to pay more for public sports facilities

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:28 am

Barnsley wrote:As has been mentioned before its only a matter of time before Transport goes the same way , such is life.
I am not that sure. This would be something much more difficult to get it done right IMHO.
Two reasons: (1) it may add up for the foreigners to something more significant (budget-wise) and (2) it would look just as bad as having the two categories for selling products in Fairprice. Much significant collateral damage both for the foreigners work force and reputation-wise internationally.
Also, I believe the main reason the public transportation is subsidized in SG is to keep people away from buying/using cars and less to support the citizens' pockets. This would just not click well to have such extra fees for the foreigners.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:31 am

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:As has been mentioned before its only a matter of time before Transport goes the same way , such is life.
I am not that sure. This would be something much more difficult to get it done right IMHO.
Two reasons: (1) it may add up for the foreigners to something more significant (budget-wise) and (2) it would look just as bad as having the two categories for selling products in Fairprice. Much significant collateral damage both for the foreigners work force and reputation-wise internationally.
Also, I believe the main reason the public transportation is subsidized in SG is to keep people away from buying/using cars and less to support the citizens' pockets. This would just not click well to have such extra fees for the foreigners.
Playing to the crowd , I suppose highlighting that foreigners pay more to use facilities is probably enough for now.

You are right about the Public Transport costs being massively subsidised in order to try and turn folk away from buying/using cars.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:37 am

What is going to happen, eventually, is that expats will start demanding uplifts like are given for most other 3rd world countries, just like my daughter received in Angola and just like I did when I first came to Singapore in the early '80's. As Singapore's infrastructure grew into 1st world levels, the uplifts disappeared as most thought that the population would also mature into 1st world levels. Sadly, as we here are all acutely aware, that did not happen and we find 1st world infrastructure is being steered by 3rd world citizens even today. Therefore, due to the mindset and animosity being shown by the citizens and therefore leading the gahment around like a bullock with a nose ring, the days of uplifts like those received in the rest of the 3rd world countries here in Asia and in Africa will probably become commonplace once again. Which in the longer term is good for us, but will be very bad for Singapore on the international stage as the only developed country to have this kind of mentality.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:48 am

It's a screw job for EP and other work pass holders. Pay the same income tax rates as PR's and citizens. Pay the rents asked for by landlords which include the property taxes the landlords pay. Pay the same GST as everyone else with no chance for a refund. Pay stamp and other property taxes for property purchases in excess of those paid by citizens.

In short, pay an equal amount, or more, into the system, as any citizen, and get less out. No subsidized government services like healthcare or childcare. Increased fees for services simply because of the color of the work card.

It's plain and simple discrimination. It's no different than discrimination against a race, a religion, or an ethnic group. There is always a rationalization for doing so. But, there's no real reason for doing so except the government feels it can get away with it with impunity... because of the unwashed electorate that demands someone pay.

Not much different than the USA and gay rights, and previously, minority rights... screw them... they don't count.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:05 pm

Yeah, I agree with both SE and SMS.

I wonder how saving 50c here and 50c there will appease the locals, this actually fortifies their entitlement complex even more. It makes us foreigners look like we don't really deserve to be here and hence have to pay a "price".

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Not much different than the USA and gay rights, and previously, minority rights... screw them... they don't count.
Perhaps a case here of '...they don't get to vote' :-k
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:16 pm

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents (PRs) will continue to pay prevailing rates, while non-residents will be charged higher
Does this include EP and work permit holders?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:41 pm

martincymru wrote:
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents (PRs) will continue to pay prevailing rates, while non-residents will be charged higher
Does this include EP and work permit holders?
It did at the Aquatic Centre , it said residents pay the lower rate, clearly I am resident in Singapore as I have an EP , however the Auntie said PR only get to pay the same as citizens.

:(

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:45 pm

Yeah clearly "Non Citizen and non PRs" means us, work pass holders and our families.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:50 pm

Damn. Singapore is going backwards and turning into the third-world/developing countries it tries to distinguish itself from. Only those countries implement two-tier fee system on public amenities. I don't remember this being implemented in other developed countries, even Japan doesn't do that. Hong Kong would be the closest example to Singapore (being small, developed, and with close proximity to third-world countries) and yet it doesn't do that for its public amenities.

(just realised SMS already made similar point in the first page)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 2:36 pm

Why are PR and Employment Pass holders treated differently?

It is a bit of a hotchpotch of a policy....

Is it the same for kids as well , do kids on student pass have to pay more than kids who are at least PR?

Could make for some awkward moments at the payment counter if kids are not PR/Citizens and parents are.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 2:41 pm

Barnsley wrote:Why are PR and Employment Pass holders treated differently?

It is a bit of a hotchpotch of a policy....

Is it the same for kids as well , do kids on student pass have to pay more than kids who are at least PR?

Could make for some awkward moments at the payment counter if kids are not PR/Citizens and parents are.
Yes, the subsidies are different if you have PR. You get screwed, but not as badly as student pass holders.

No more awkward that at 21 when the son reaches majority and loses his Student Pass and cannot get an LTVP because ICA realizes that they did not get the son PR so as to avoid NS in order to try to get the best of both worlds. Bzzzzzzt! Game Over.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 4:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It's a screw job for EP and other work pass holders. Pay the same income tax rates as PR's and citizens. Pay the rents asked for by landlords which include the property taxes the landlords pay. Pay the same GST as everyone else with no chance for a refund. Pay stamp and other property taxes for property purchases in excess of those paid by citizens.

In short, pay an equal amount, or more, into the system, as any citizen, and get less out. No subsidized government services like healthcare or childcare. Increased fees for services simply because of the color of the work card.

It's plain and simple discrimination. It's no different than discrimination against a race, a religion, or an ethnic group. There is always a rationalization for doing so. But, there's no real reason for doing so except the government feels it can get away with it with impunity... because of the unwashed electorate that demands someone pay.

Not much different than the USA and gay rights, and previously, minority rights... screw them... they don't count.
=D>
50 years of development of shiny buildings can't change generations of thinking.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 4:56 pm

My friend is 41, been on work permit 21 years.

What kind of message is this to people like her who have lived in Sg longer than their home country ?
//

4 years ago had op, knee, cost 10k. I think Citizen rate was about 4k. !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 5:05 pm

The message that she, like myself, should have applied for PR and/or citizenship many years ago. :-k :-/