Singapore Expats

Non-Removal of Tenant's name from HDB

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
joiedevivre22

Non-Removal of Tenant's name from HDB

Post by joiedevivre22 » Thu, 09 Apr 2015 6:02 pm

What happens when a owner doesn't remove the tenant's name from the HDB website as a occupant?

There is a cap in the number of places a person can be registered in - only two places. A friend/housemate has just moved in to our place and our owner is unable to register her on HDB website. On visiting HDB, she was told to contact the previous owners and ask them do so. All her previous owners 'claim' to have done so. Now, the present owner is refusing to let her stay as she will be an illegal occupant.

The contract is not in her name. She is only an occupant. She has no idea where her name is being used! She lost her EP once so she is worried. This was two years ago, but we never know. She did file a police report then.

Today, she is filing a police complaint based on the knowledge that her owners have removed her name and that someone might be misusing her name.

Has anyone been thro a similar situation? I searched on the forum but couldn't get any idea.

Note - I say owner 'claims' because we have our own doubts. We all lived in the same place earlier and faced some problems on the refund of deposit from our owner. Is it possible that he hasn't removed our name? There are new tenants in his place now.

Search By

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Non-Removal of Tenant's name from HDB

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Apr 2015 11:27 pm

joiedevivre22 wrote:What happens when a owner doesn't remove the tenant's name from the HDB website as a occupant?
I am a bit lazy to search but can you provide a link to the HDB page stating so ?

Your landlord is pulling a fast one I guess to avoid over crowding

The registration / inclusion rule I see only applies to HDB rental flats supposedly to calculate household income ceiling

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 9:59 am

I don't know as well. We were informed by our agent on this. There is no question of overcrowding. It is a 3 bedroom apartment with 4 occupants only.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:15 am

Sorry to hear about it. Sometimes it is difficult when you have jerks getting in the way to your basic necessity of life - shelter.

1. Can HDB reveal which "previous" address was her name used in? If it is where she has lived before, she has to pester the previous owner to remove her name. Because technically, they cannot keep her name there if they have new occupants in the place already. Use this fact to have them to remove her name, or else she can "pursue legal action against them".

2. If that address is not where she has stayed, I'd advise her to present the old tenancy agreement to HDB and police report to prove that she has never lived in that house before. Then HDB will remove the name themselves.

These two points are just my educated guess, knowing how HDBs work normally.

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:19 am

HDB is not revealing the details. She has already reached to the owners and they claim to have deleted her name off.

I don't see the point here at all - She holds a valid EP. They can confirm with her employer in case. The contract is not in her name. So, why all this hassle?

Today, she is going to the police station to check on what needs to be done. Could not make it there yesterday. Such a hassle.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:42 am

joiedevivre22 wrote:Today, she is going to the police station to check on what needs to be done. Could not make it there yesterday. Such a hassle.
I'm not sure how the police can help, surely this is a civil not a criminal matter.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:48 am

according to HDB
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf ... enDocument

Flat Owners’ Responsibilities
* Informing HDB of any changes in the subletting agreement;

If the owner claim they had remove her name, ask for proof

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:51 am

JR8 wrote:
joiedevivre22 wrote:Today, she is going to the police station to check on what needs to be done. Could not make it there yesterday. Such a hassle.
I'm not sure how the police can help, surely this is a civil not a criminal matter.
I think you file a Police Report here for almost anything .....

:D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:53 am

JR8 wrote:
Police Will not help ..

If the main guy is such a PITA why fight with him ?

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:07 pm

I don't know if and how the police will help too!

She has lived three places so far. This is the status.

Place 1 - Never got her IC. They were tenants themselves, good friends. So lived like a family member for 6 months. She didn't know it was illegal then.

Place 2 - Never been registered, but gave IC ( so could be registered)Lived with friends. Contract not in her name.

Lost wallet with EP. Filed a police report. Got a new one. Chance of EP being misused, may be.

Place 3 - The most recent one. We all lived together. Owner got into a HUGE tiff over refund. We lost all the money and moved out. Contract was until June 2015, we moved out in March. The place has new tenants, so if the owner had to register them, he had to de-register us, right? We cannot go to him now and ask. Hate to use this word, but that man is such a nightmare and an idiot to deal with. We did inform the agent who told us it has been removed. We do have our doubts.

My agent says she should move out! I mean, how is that a solution? Apparently, the owner says that too. I can't find any HDB rules on this one.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 9:22 pm

joiedevivre22 wrote:I.

My agent says she should move out! I mean, how is that a solution? Apparently, the owner says that too. I can't find any HDB rules on this one.
I don't see any joy fighting with such landlord or agent .. why not move out ?

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:24 pm

Because moving out is not a solution. If she does move out, she won't be able to stay legally in any other hDB apartment. Her future landlords will have the same issue. Also, this issue is clearly due to the lapse of duty from one of her previous landlords. One of them ( the third one, we called and found out from his wife) had not bothered to remove tenants name off. They have had new tenants from March 1st and haven't removed until April 10th. Silly right? They have not removed any of our names but since we didn't have our names registered in any other place it went smooth for us here

We have asked them to remove. If not we will be filing a memo with HDB saying that we cannot contact any of the previous owners and that they can try to contact if needed. Else we will have to file a report saying our previous landlords are not obliging to legal requirements. This advice was given by the police. So it's not my own idea :) if the police say so i opine it would certainly be a valid idea.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:52 pm

joiedevivre22 wrote:...
I don't know why you are fixated on the idea that she can't stay anywhere ...

Unless you want her with you ;).

As said I see coming colours no good with your current agent anyway

Good luck ... you need a lot of it ...

joiedevivre22

Post by joiedevivre22 » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:05 pm

Well, we share rent. So if she leaves, we need to find someone else as a replacement or pay up more ( and not just me, there are 2 others - so we don't want to pay more) That apart, we just moved in to this place. So, she doesn't really want to move. (nice ppl, close to work etc) Of course, if she does move out - we can manage, not that big a deal just the hassle of finding someone new is there. So my personal motive in this pretty low!

She really cant. That's what the police told too. Even HDB says the same. She cannot live in any HDB apartment as a legal occupant ( of course she can without a contract) unless her name is removed in one of those places.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:10 am

joiedevivre22 wrote: She really cant. That's what the police told too. Even HDB says the same. She cannot live in any HDB apartment as a legal occupant ( of course she can without a contract) unless her name is removed in one of those places.
:roll: :roll:

I learnt something new then !!! or not #-o :-k

You are missing the main point I was raising - if your agent and landlord aren't cooperative .. why continue the losing fight ? Oh, well, never mind !!!