Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
guesswho

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore

Post by guesswho » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 9:35 pm

Finally I've passed BTT today, now pursuing to converting the license. At first need to renew my foreign license as it is expiring.

clapord2

Post by clapord2 » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 9:28 am

blibble wrote:Hello

Yup - denied a class 2 because I cannot show documentary evidence of training on large capacity bike. I argued my UK test and over 30 years experience should count but dealing with box ticking procedure following clerks is an exercise in futility. I tried at two stations. Same result. I showed my current insurance documents to show my large capacity bike but no - must see documentary proof of training... Yes but... Must show documentary proof of training...

2 hours of queuing at each place too...

Anyway I need to find out who to write to in order to deal with someone more senior and who an understand my situation.

Any ideas?
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Passed my BTT, provided my full UK licence showing class of bike and dates of endorsement. Provided proof of ownership and insurance for a 600cc bike over 4 years but they still rejected conversion to a class 2 licence on the basis that I didn't have a document showing what size of bike I took my test on. Called the Driver & Vehicle Licencing Agency in the UK and they didn't seem to know what document could be provided to prove size of bike.

If anyone in a similar situation has any luck please advise.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:13 am

I would suggest try another office, might get lucky there. Or make an appointment with TP and argue your case. Hopefully someone will see sense.

clapord2

Post by clapord2 » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 1:24 pm

Tried a different centre this morning but after 2 hours queuing got the same response. Any advise on how to get an appointment with TP or where to write a letter?

Going to try the dvla mail response service and see if they can provide a letter, otherwise a 2b it is.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by taxico » Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:31 pm

if you've read the first post, near the end i wrote:

"You can also WRITE IN to the TP. they will have to give you a reply and, if you furnish enough valid reasons they will probably grant you a full class 2 license.

(it happened to me! i was issued a class 2B license despite doing everything listed above and i finally got a full class 2 when i wrote a tear jerking letter to TP)"

to further clarify: i wrote into TP (snail mail) and included all documentary proof i could get my hands on. there was a coherently typed out argument i included on why i should be issued a class 2 license.

mind you, this was AFTER i had converted to a class 2B.

for a start, i would recommend writing into TP to ask what they require. preempt the usual replies and cut to the chase - eg, learners/restricted license holders were restricted to 250cc and under (back in the day), so there is really no option to take the driving test with a liter bike (waivers from your licensing authority due to an applicant's humongous body excepted)...

i recommend: find out what they want, tell them it's not possible, and clarify again by mail. rinse, lather, repeat. once you have obtained the reply that is favorable to you, bring it to the counter and cross your fingers.

it took me months to get my license "up rated" - it takes a long time for TP to issue a written reply. i waited a month and mailed out another reminder, complete with the original letter and all attachments.

if you have the time, why not use it. don't be beaten by the system.

but i do wonder if this has anything to do with the recent revamp of the licensing system in UK - are all those having problems getting a full 2 from the UK or does it include persons of other nationalities?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Sun, 10 May 2015 9:57 pm

i moved here in end Feb... sold my Kawasaki Ninja 650 back home when i moved here.. have been yearning for a bike but spent the better part of the last 3 months settling in. I finally managed to go across & book a BTT (got a date in early july :( ) ... but as i read this thread, increasingly getting despondent.. seems tough to get a Class 2 straight off the bat.

my license is valid over last 11 years, will carry along documentary evidence in terms of ownership details, insurance & photos, but not sure if that is enough. I once attended a CSS (California Superbike School) equivalent track course. Any idea if that certificate counts as a proof of training?

Popinjay

Post by Popinjay » Thu, 14 May 2015 3:30 pm

This is all quite worrying. I passed my BTT on Tuesday but did not have time to apply for conversion then. I don't want to ride here but I've got a bike back in the UK and often rent bikes when I visit US, so will I end up with no licence for that? I had to give my UK licence in for a Swiss one as I lived there before here, I think the Swiss one I have is only valid for a year after leaving Switzerland. Do they take your foreign licence away at time of conversion here? Anyone had success converting a Swiss licence with class 2? It seems like the capacity of the bike tested on is the key thing needed - anyone had any success getting that from DVLA?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 May 2015 5:12 pm

Popinjay wrote:This is all quite worrying. I passed my BTT on Tuesday but did not have time to apply for conversion then. I don't want to ride here but I've got a bike back in the UK and often rent bikes when I visit US, so will I end up with no licence for that? I had to give my UK licence in for a Swiss one as I lived there before here, I think the Swiss one I have is only valid for a year after leaving Switzerland. Do they take your foreign licence away at time of conversion here? Anyone had success converting a Swiss licence with class 2? It seems like the capacity of the bike tested on is the key thing needed - anyone had any success getting that from DVLA?
Singapore TP don't take away your original licence when you convert. That's how it was ten plus years ago.. not likely it changed of late ..

Popinjay

Post by Popinjay » Thu, 14 May 2015 6:13 pm

Ok, if they don't take the Swiss licence when I convert that is encouraging as the Swiss licence does not expire, at least I can rent bikes in other countries with it. I'm trying to register my bike that's in the UK, then getting insurance while living in Singapore and holding a Swiss licence may be a challenge too far...perhaps time to sell it if I can sort the registration out which is proving difficult!

guesswho

Post by guesswho » Mon, 25 May 2015 10:41 pm

guesswho wrote:Finally I've passed BTT today, now pursuing to converting the license. At first need to renew my foreign license as it is expiring.
Popinjay wrote:Ok, if they don't take the Swiss licence when I convert that is encouraging as the Swiss licence does not expire, at least I can rent bikes in other countries with it. I'm trying to register my bike that's in the UK, then getting insurance while living in Singapore and holding a Swiss licence may be a challenge too far...perhaps time to sell it if I can sort the registration out which is proving difficult!
finally I've got both license 2B/3 today and they didn't take your foreign license. It will take a month to get real license though, they will send via mail to your place

luca9277

Post by luca9277 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I have read tons of posts on here and other forums over the past few months. I went through the painful process of getting my international motorcycle licence converted and learnt a lot about the process.
Here are my comments for those who are embarking in this process.

First of all, the law actually changed about 1 and a half years ago, before then the conversion was almost straight forward.

Now you need to make sure you meet all requirements listed here: http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ation.html

Keep in mind that "Licence that is granted automatically without the need of test but on the merit of attaining of another licence will not be converted, example a motorcycle licence granted with class 3 licence without going through a test is practised in countries like Myanmar and France."

There is absolutely no way around it.

Secondly, even if you did take a test for a motorcycle license you will need to provide:
documentary proof of proper training from the foreign Licensing Authority;
documentary proof from the foreign Licensing Authority indicating on the capacity of the motorcycle the applicant was tested on in which it has to be signed and endorsed on;
documentary proof ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating and the applicant must have had at least one year riding experience on the road.

Your proof of training needs to be endorsed by a government recognized center, that mean that private schools' issued certificates will not be recognized. The certificate needs to have a reference to your ID (Passport), needs to be dated and signed.

Assuming you take your BTT and get a class 2B and assuming you can provide all these certificates you will need to submit an appeal to the STP HQ in UBI, your email has to be sent to [email protected]

The process will hardly take less than a few months.

The tricky thing is that many come over and buy a class 2 bike knowing we can ride for a year, then we get stuck.
Rumor is the law will be changed shortly, at the moment these is a loophole that allows foreigners to ride a class 2 bike, their plan is to limit this to class 3 and 2B bikes.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 1:58 pm

Thanx luca9277. Thats quite helpful (although painful too :( )
Clearly getting a class 2 license is going to be tough. While i have some of the documentation (proof of ownership etc) getting a certificate referenced to passport etc is going to be an issue.
Glad i did not buy a class 2 bike yet on my foreign license.

guesswho

Post by guesswho » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 2:29 pm

thats very tough tho, for me i would follow the flow first and getting used to traffic here. 1 year waiting time is not that long, even i heard some people do upgrading their bike class on 7th month after they get 2B license.

luca9277

Post by luca9277 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 2:31 pm

Getting my license drove me nuts.. Literarily.

I am originally from Italy and that's where I got my license (no training was required). I converted it to a Danish one in 2004 (no test needed). In 2006 got that one converted in a California issued one. Lucky for me they required me to take a 2 days riding course.
In 2008 I converted my California one to an Australian one, again - no test.

Here in Singapore I converted my Australian one and hit a wall as I had no practical test.

After 11 emails and 4 visits to the TP in Ubi they agreed to accept the training done in the US however I had to:
Get the certificate (not easy after 8 years)
Get my driving records from the DMW (US) and RTA (Australia)
Provide proof of ownership for Class 2 bikes in both US and Australia

I actually had to get the training certificate twice as the first one didn't mention the engine size of the bike I was tested on.

I got my class 2 license 2 days after I sold my class 2 bike.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 3:06 pm

luca9277 wrote: I got my class 2 license 2 days after I sold my class 2 bike.
Italian and powerful bike = terrible riding ? Maybe that's why TP was extra careful with you .... ;)

Just kidding ...