Singapore Expats

bank account for foreigners

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
x9200

Re: bank account for foreigners

Post by x9200 » Mon, 06 Apr 2015 4:01 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 1:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:How about Gibraltar? Cyprus got its reputation already for years. Gibraltar with big gambling industry and recurring question on money laundering but being a part of EU and British overseas territory (with Spain being very happy) is far more intriguing.
maybe off thread, but Spain is happy with The Rock being under the Brits ?
I thought they have been dying to get their hands on Gibraltar .. including occasional blockades of cars/show of force etc. etc.
Spain are about as happy with Gibraltar being British territory, as the Argentinians are re: the Falkland Islands. And similarly, usually around election time, a huge stink gets kicked up for domestic 'Wag The Dog' type purposes.

There were road blockades re: GIB some years back. It has no airport, so the road blockade was an attempt to put a strangle-hold on 'the rock'.

[It was the first port of call for my father during WW2, Singapore bound:- UK, GIB, Malta, Cyprus, Palestine (now Lebanon/Israel), Suez/Egypt, and luckily for him that's when the war ended. GIB has loooong been a very strategic outpost, for centuries, both geographically and militarily].

I know very little about the place, it is tiny. I hadn't realised it was a gambling place. IME it is more a place where pensioners visit for a bit of easy going Brit-friendly winter sun. I am also unaware that it's an 'offshore' banking centre... can't say I've heard that before. Maybe!?

Probably one of the biggest stories out of GIB in recent years, was the SAS '''executing''' (allegedly) an IRA covert cell on the streets there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flavius
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 1:40 pm

x9200 wrote:Image
^ Roger Moore, tax-exile based in Monaco...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 4:50 pm

JR8 wrote: There were road blockades re: GIB some years back. It has no airport, so the road blockade was an attempt to put a strangle-hold on 'the rock'.
Actually Gibraltar has an airport that's dissected by a road running in the middle ... and sees an occasional RAF show of force ... other than regular commercial flights from UK .. from what I know

As for it being a gambling spot... I never knew about that

I only know that it has some ship repair facilities other than a regular cruise port ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 4:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Image
^ Roger Moore, tax-exile based in Monaco...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 5:36 pm

@Ecu

Well well well, learn something new every day! [thx!].

Seems the airstrip is 1500m, so for sake of comparison that c150% of say Tioman's.

' The History Channel programme Most Extreme Airports ranked the airport the fifth most extreme airport in the world.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_ ... al_Airport
There's a very nice panoramic photo of the airstrip in the above article. Jeez, the pilot doesn't get much space for contingency on take-off.
--- This I have to find a video of! :)

Flight simulator ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_enHxzUIhM
Real thing [can wind to about 4:20 to start] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obVe6FeNYvg

Want to spice it up a bit more? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FVYzf0uiY
'Take off in Gibraltar with Bird Strike and emergency landing'
!! :shock: !!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Apr 2015 9:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
Want to spice it up a bit more? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FVYzf0uiY
'Take off in Gibraltar with Bird Strike and emergency landing'
!! :shock: !!
The last video, take off is from Gib, where did it land ?

By any chance is that airport called Carga Aerea? Image

I wouldn't have guessed Iberia flying to Gibraltar .... :) :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:10 am

ecureilx wrote: The last video, take off is from Gib, where did it land ?
By any chance is that airport called Carga Aerea? Image
I wouldn't have guessed Iberia flying to Gibraltar .... :) :)
I watched several vids re: take-off/landings at that airport so don't recall specifically, but at least 'went around' for an emergency landing, quite possibly the one in question. Unless it was a Spanish plane, then it would have probably carried on as normal :cool: :lol: [/jk].

Carga Aerea.... heh? [this is joke right.... and I'm too thick to get it? :oops: ]

Yeah, I know, it seems weird eh! I can't imagine the Argentine airlines getting access to the Falklands.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 11:23 am

JR8 wrote: Carga Aerea.... heh? [this is joke right.... and I'm too thick to get it? :oops: ]

Yeah, I know, it seems weird eh! I can't imagine the Argentine airlines getting access to the Falklands.
It was tongue in cheek, when I tried to see where the plane landed, unless the video posted mixed up an Iberia plane with whichever they took of from Gibraltar

As of now, Monarch, Easyjet and BA are the only listed scheduled flights to , other than the RAF flights !

Anyway, let's get back to the main subject matter !!

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 2:44 pm

If you have a look at the video description (I'm looking at this on a PC web browser so you might not see on other platforms) it says the emergency landing was at Malaga. Which probably makes sense as I doubt you'd really want to be doing emergency landings on short runways, and Malaga is only around 100km from the rock as the damaged plane flies :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 3:53 pm

MikeJones wrote:If you have a look at the video description (I'm looking at this on a PC web browser so you might not see on other platforms) it says the emergency landing was at Malaga. Which probably makes sense as I doubt you'd really want to be doing emergency landings on short runways, and Malaga is only around 100km from the rock as the damaged plane flies :)
Well, the part that's intriguing for me is that the video shows an Iberia plane, and Iberia (as said) I can't imagine they fly to Gib !

I am not sure if 100 KM would have been enough to dump enough fuel to get to landing weight, but .. it's possible though !

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter

Post by MikeJones » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 4:00 pm

From wikipedia:

"On 17 November 2006 Iberia announced that it would start flights from Madrid to Gibraltar using an Airbus A319 aircraft. This was a landmark move as no Spanish airline had flown to Gibraltar since 1979, because of its disputed status. Iberia began flights to Gibraltar International on 16 December 2006 with a flight from Madrid that included some members of the Spanish Government on board. GB Airways flew a one-off flight in the other direction with a group of children from the Gibraltar area making up the passengers. In May 2007 GB Airways (flying as a British Airways franchisee) also began operating the route between Madrid and Gibraltar, however, this was discontinued on 30 September, leaving Iberia to work the route alone. On 22 September 2008 Iberia announced that it would cease its flights to Madrid by 28 September due to "economic reasons", namely, lack of demand. This left Gibraltar, once again, without any air links with Spain.[7]"

Given the video was from 2007 that fits the above timescale nicely. As for the fuel dumping, I'm sure they circled round that bit of the med for a while before landing but with one engine out (on a two engine plane) you're not going to want to be too far from somewhere to put it down if something happens to the other engine.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 May 2016 7:36 pm

So did you clowns ever suggest a bank?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 06 May 2016 7:45 pm

All banks are regulated by MAS. So I would imagine the rules are the same for foreigners trying to open a bank account. I can't imagine 1 bank being more LAX than another. So it doesn't matter choose the bank which you are most comfortable with. If you are an Aussie choose ANZ.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

mikew
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Post by mikew » Thu, 27 Dec 2018 2:19 pm

Wd40 wrote:All banks are regulated by MAS. So I would imagine the rules are the same for foreigners trying to open a bank account. I can't imagine 1 bank being more LAX than another. So it doesn't matter choose the bank which you are most comfortable with. If you are an Aussie choose ANZ.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Actually you will find that some are easier than others - they all have their own risk profiles.

Historically DBS welcomed foreigners but now they are almost impossible unless you have over $500k to deposit. OCBC have welcomed plenty of foreigners over the past 5 years but now seem to be closing doors to everyone except premier banking clients.

Today, UOB seem to be the most flexible. Especially for those who are located in the region but don't want to bank in their country of residence (Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, etc)