Singapore Expats

Seeking Job Recruiter/ Agents

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
phan715

Seeking Job Recruiter/ Agents

Post by phan715 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 8:40 am

Looking to seek employment in the IT sector in Singapore, S/O is Singaporean and I intend to move over with her in the coming months or year from Australia. Depending on how successful the job search gets. I figured getting a recruiter or agent would be a good option. Anyone knows of any reliable recruiters to reach out to?

Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Seeking Job Recruiter/ Agents

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 8:58 am

Good Luck. No, on second thought, pray for a miracle. You are going to need one. You'd have better luck having your S/O immigrate to wherever you are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

phan715

Post by phan715 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 9:16 am

Well I also do have the option of working for her family's company since there are expanding overseas, they are based in Sembawang Shipyard and are involved in Ship repairs but could fill me in with an IT role , since they would need more help, but I was thinking of toughing it out on my own and trying my luck with job recruiters first!

If all fails, it will be me working with her parents and uncles/aunts - :? . haha That said, It is probably tougher for her to find a job in Australia though! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:05 am

phan715 wrote:Well I also do have the option of working for her family's company since there are expanding overseas, they are based in Sembawang Shipyard and are involved in Ship repairs but could fill me in with an IT role , since they would need more help, but I was thinking of toughing it out on my own and trying my luck with job recruiters first!

If all fails, it will be me working with her parents and uncles/aunts - :? . haha That said, It is probably tougher for her to find a job in Australia though! :)
What makes you think that you can get a job working with her parents company? It doesn't matter who you are or where you are from, if you are NOT a Singaporean or a Permanent Resident of Singapore, you will still have to get permission from the MOM to work here. And that is not easy any more, especially as you are trying to find a job that is easily filled by a Singaporean or PR here. Unless you have a niche skillset that cannot be found locally, you are going to be hard pressed to get approval to work here. Family or no family. Even if you go through job recruiters, you still have to have an employment pass from the MOM and as already related, the Employer has to apply for this. In order to get it, you must meet the academic credential AND have sufficient experience. After you make that hurdle, then the employer has to convince the MOM that the equivalent expertise cannot be found locally. If easily found locally (in the eyes of the MOM), you are out of luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

phan715

Post by phan715 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:14 am

Oh definitely of course. That same procedure would be applied to my S/O if she were to seek employment in Australia as well. Companies are answerable to the state, on why they ought to hire her instead of a local. In face, Australia imposes tighter immigration/employment regulations as compared to singapore.

I understand that part most definitely, but of course if I were to join her family, it wouldn't be for a mere i.t role that anyone could just fit in. I have credentials and years of work experience as well.

If that works out well, then great. Otherwise we'd have to pull this through a year before we get married and be able to start our life there together.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 2:12 pm

Good luck. I mean it. You understand what you are up against so half the battle is won (the easy half).

bebloo

Post by bebloo » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 8:28 pm

You show poor judgment, and the only positive thing for the employer you are stiffing is that they won't have a bad apple amongst the other employees.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 5:17 am

bebloo wrote:You show poor judgment, and the only positive thing for the employer you are stiffing is that they won't have a bad apple amongst the other employees.
You're in the wrong thread, I think.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 06 Apr 2015 2:22 pm

phan715 wrote:Looking to seek employment in the IT sector in Singapore, S/O is Singaporean and I intend to move over with her in the coming months or year from Australia. Depending on how successful the job search gets. I figured getting a recruiter or agent would be a good option. Anyone knows of any reliable recruiters to reach out to?

Cheers!
If your S/O becomes your spouse, then you will find it easier with your pass.