Singapore Expats

Notice Period for Early Termination of Rental Lease in HDB

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ourve88

Notice Period for Early Termination of Rental Lease in HDB

Post by ourve88 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 1:22 pm

Hi SingaporeExpats, I'm keen to know what is the standard notice period (ie.how many month's notice) is a tenant required to give the landlord in a rental lease for a HDB flat for an early termination of the lease period from either party. I understand it varies with lease agreement. However Would it within the norm - if after the tenant has completed the first 12 months in the unit and is renewing for another 12 months - the standard notice for termination is 1 month notice from either party. Ie. the landlord can give 1 month notice to the tenant if he need the flat back and vice versa.

Would appreciate some light on this matter.

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Notice Period for Early Termination of Rental Lease in H

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 3:36 pm

ourve88 wrote:Hi SingaporeExpats, I'm keen to know what is the standard notice period (ie.how many month's notice) is a tenant required to give the landlord in a rental lease for a HDB flat for an early termination of the lease period from either party. I understand it varies with lease agreement. However Would it within the norm - if after the tenant has completed the first 12 months in the unit and is renewing for another 12 months - the standard notice for termination is 1 month notice from either party. Ie. the landlord can give 1 month notice to the tenant if he need the flat back and vice versa.

Would appreciate some light on this matter.
No, it is not the norm. It really is whatever is in your signed and 'stamp duty payed' tenancy agreement. If there is no clause related to early termination then you must fulfill the lease.