Singapore Expats

PR advice, approaching 40

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Sunny1123

PR advice, approaching 40

Post by Sunny1123 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 1:42 pm

These forums have been a great source of info as a lurker, and now it's time for my own PR application advice post.

The basics:
- Single male, American, 38yo.
- In SG on EP since 8/2012. Renewed for 2 years in 8/2013 and planning a renewal this year.
- Industry is software for the financial sector, and I'm a senior designer (reporting to CTO).
- Bachelor's degree, Computer Science.
- Salary 15k/mo + housing allowance 4k/mo.

I'm considering late 2015 for a PR application. I'd be 39 with a freshly renewed EP at that point. The YA2015 tax notice would also be on the books, which will be my third (although YA2013 only covered 5 months of SG income in 2012).

I would be fine to wait another year, but I suspect any advantage gained by waiting might be offset by my age (I'd be applying at 40 then). I appreciate any insights or advice!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PR advice, approaching 40

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 2:25 pm

Sunny1123 wrote:These forums have been a great source of info as a lurker, and now it's time for my own PR application advice post.

The basics:
- In SG on EP since 8/2012. Renewed for 2 years in 8/2013 and planning a renewal this year.
- Industry is software for the financial sector, and I'm a senior designer (reporting to CTO).

I'm considering late 2015 for a PR application. I'd be 39 with a freshly renewed EP at that point. The YA2015 tax notice would also be on the books, which will be my third (although YA2013 only covered 5 months of SG income in 2012).

I would be fine to wait another year, but I suspect any advantage gained by waiting might be offset by my age (I'd be applying at 40 then). I appreciate any insights or advice!
in my opinion, age is a factor but not a big factor, in Singapore

As long as you have 3 years NOA, just apply, says me !

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 3:25 pm

Sunny1123 wrote:These forums have been a great source of info as a lurker, and now it's time for my own PR application advice post.

The basics:

Any ill-conceived desires to marry a local girl? That's the only thing left that would really give you any advantage. Otherwise as you seem to know, clock is ticking!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 6:49 pm

I don't see any advantage in PR for you. In fact it will impact your ability to stay employed as an expat on expat benefits going forward.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 7:59 pm

Finance domain is also not going to help.

Sunny1123

Post by Sunny1123 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks, everyone!

ecureilx, glad to hear that 3 years NoA should be ok. I imagine most people don't arrive on Jan 1, so having a lower first NoA is probably common.

zzm9980, no marriage plans on the horizon, ill-conceived or otherwise :)

PNGMK, that is a good point. Of course I would discuss any changes in status with my current employer before applying, but I understand the implication for any potential future employers. The main advantage I had in mind was the "P" part of PR - the ability to remain here after I retire. I understand some countries in the region welcome retirees from abroad, but I never pictured myself dropping into a completely new country for retirement. Maybe I should give that a bit stronger consideration, though.

Wd40, I have read that finance is out of favour. I don't expect ICA to take the view that "software is software," but I'm happy in my current position, and I wouldn't consider a change just to improve my chances.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 9:28 pm

Yeah, I would never change my position just to get PR. Since your company is software, it should be okay. Just don't mention about the domain, anywhere in the application form.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:11 pm

I got PR in 2010 at 38 with only 2yrs of NOA - although my profession is/was highly sought after.
Citizenship at the end of last year too. Still male, still single.

But, them's were different times too...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 1:24 am

I got PR at age of 57, renewed again at age 62. I owned a business that paid taxes and hired locals so maybe that made a difference. From what I've seen, the choice to grant PR seems to be based upon the gahmen's perception of whether you are going to hang around long term or not.

Sunny1123

Post by Sunny1123 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 6:51 pm

I doubt my profession is so highly sought after that I could replicate curiousgeorge's timeline, and I don't own a business, but I think my profile is reasonably good... at least nobody has said "don't waste your time" so far.

Thanks for the data points and advice. If I proceed with the application, I'll let everyone know how it eventually turns out.

Sunny1123

Post by Sunny1123 » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 8:07 pm

update: I ended up applying in November 2016 (after 4th NOA), and I was just rejected (April 2017). It's the "application is not successful, but you can continue to work and reside on your valid work pass" rejection letter without any specific invitation to reapply.

I must admit that I'm disappointed but not shocked. Any downsides to re-applying towards the end of every year? I don't expect any big changes at work, so the only real differences would be another NOA and another year on the red dot.

Looks like my "others" slot was filled by another 'American' based on his/her post earlier today... I can't compete with the married couple + kids profile :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 9:07 pm

You are not competing with anybody. You are being based on your own profile, not somebody else.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sunny1123

Post by Sunny1123 » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 9:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are not competing with anybody. You are being based on your own profile, not somebody else.
I'm afraid my attempt at self-deprecating humour did not come across as intended. I found it funny that another user (username 'American', also an American in the "others" racial category, similar age, but married with 2 kids) posted about his/her PR acceptance on the same day I received my rejection. I did not mean to imply there was an actual connection. My apologies!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 9:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are not competing with anybody. You are being based on your own profile, not somebody else.
I disagree. There are (esp for Caucasian/Others) a limited number of slots.... now whether Sunny's profile would have even gotten him considered for a slot is debatable but even if he did get considered he still needs to be ranked against the others who are in the 'others' category. I did not consider his profile to be ideal for singapore because he is not future citizen material.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

snakebite

Post by snakebite » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 1:08 pm

Your profile appears similar to what mine was when I was approved for PR about 2 years ago, except that my salary was slightly less than yours, and I am in the engineering industry. Otherwise, same age, same marital status, same length of stay in Singapore etc.

Go for it, but set your expectations low as nobody really knows what the criteria is. If you get it, great. If not, then you haven't really lost anything.