Singapore Expats

how to remain in sg with no work permit

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lemoned86

how to remain in sg with no work permit

Post by lemoned86 » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 2:29 pm

Hi all,

Please pardon me if I post to the wrong place.

Does anyone know what I can do for my spouse if she quits her job (work permit), but wishes to remain in sg to wait for ltvp/pr application outcome? I am a sc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: how to remain in sg with no work permit

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 2:38 pm

lemoned86 wrote:Hi all,

Please pardon me if I post to the wrong place.

Does anyone know what I can do for my spouse if she quits her job (work permit), but wishes to remain in sg to wait for ltvp/pr application outcome? I am a sc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Hi I think she will be given 30 day SVP after her WP is terminated. In the meantime, she should quickly get her LTVP or PR application going.

How long are you married to her? If three years or more, or with children already, you can apply for LTVP+.

lemoned86

Post by lemoned86 » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 2:44 pm

Hey, thks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, we are married just last Sept with no kids.

Say with the svp, how do u propose i can hasten the ltvp application? It has been approx 2wks ago aince i applied. I think i made a mistake as i shld have applied it right after our marriage.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 2:48 pm

lemoned86 wrote:Hey, thks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, we are married just last Sept with no kids.

Say with the svp, how do u propose i can hasten the ltvp application? It has been approx 2wks ago aince i applied. I think i made a mistake as i shld have applied it right after our marriage.
Contact ICA and tell them that you are married? Submit marriage certificate?

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 2:56 pm

Once she quits her job she's on automatic 30 days SVP

- Apply LTVP for her (online if possible, its fast), you'll get an appointment date to bring your marriage cert down.

- On the appointment date, they will give you another SVP extension to await the result of the LTVP approval

- You will receive an In-principle approval letter and a collection date for the pass(took us ~ 2 weeks to get the response)

That's our journey.

lemoned86 wrote:Hey, thks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, we are married just last Sept with no kids.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 4:45 pm

The most important question has not yet been asked nor answered. Did you get permission from the MOM to marry your spouse? If not, there is a very good possibility that an LTVP will be rejected. MOM doesn't take kindly to WP holders marrying without express permission from them. I can attest to this as I have a nephew (local singaporean) and his 7 year old girl who live with me who' mother was sent back to the 'Peens because they married without permission (she was also on a WP) She was allowed to stay until she gave birth and then after the child was born here to a Singapore Father, the would not renew her LTVP so she had to return to the 'peens and she's still there (it's been 6 years since the little girls has seen her mother.

Again, depending on where your spouse is from, it may take a bit more than 2 or 3 weeks. It could take 2 or 3 months. She may have to return to her country for a while, while waiting on approval. Or rejection, as the case may be.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lemoned86

Post by lemoned86 » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 8:46 pm

Yes, I did seek approval from MOM b4 ROM, because it seems like a prequisite now. As in I can't proceed to marry her without first doing that. So i guess I'm safe to avoid such a situation.

ICA also has not give me an appt to go and submit marriage cert regarding ltvp. Is it by letter or call? If they do, does it mean the chances of ltvp is higher?

Also, I actually applied pr for her in early dec last year and ltvp 2wks ago, will there be any issues with that? Because right now, Im thinking if she quit, at least she has ltvp to stay on sg or travel freel. Am i right?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:07 pm

lemoned86 wrote:Yes, I did seek approval from MOM b4 ROM, because it seems like a prequisite now. As in I can't proceed to marry her without first doing that. So i guess I'm safe to avoid such a situation.

ICA also has not give me an appt to go and submit marriage cert regarding ltvp. Is it by letter or call? If they do, does it mean the chances of ltvp is higher?

Also, I actually applied pr for her in early dec last year and ltvp 2wks ago, will there be any issues with that? Because right now, Im thinking if she quit, at least she has ltvp to stay on sg or travel freel. Am i right?
It is possible that you can apply for the LTVP with the express purpose of gaining the LTVP+ which would allow her to work on a Letter of Consent. This works out good for both her and the employer as she then would not be counted in the employers Foreign Worker Quota. Her company also would not have to pay any levies on her. It can take up to 6 months to get the ltvp+ but if you apply for it, she continues to work on the WP and once the LTVP is approved, then the WP will be cancelled and ICA will give her a letter which is good for one month to continue to work after the WP is cancelled in order to give time enough for the employer to file for the Letter of Consent (she cannot work without it or the WP).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers