Singapore Expats

Lee Kuan Yew

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
nakatago

Re: Lee Kuan Yew

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:04 am

maneo wrote:
nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:He is not that type of personality that quits. Giving his age and the length of the struggle with pneumonia many people would just prefer to stay at home and I don't think it would be any technical problem to arrange a home based ICU for him, but to me it looks he still fights and tries to maximize his chances.
I'd get why someone would want NOT to quit just because of old age. But maaaan, he could have at least done a better job with the transition.
Are you saying there was a problem with the 2nd PM?
He managed to lead the nation through some very tough times (1997 AFC, SARS, etc.).
:?
prime minister->senior minister->minister mentor.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 21 Mar 2015 6:39 am

and the creator of the hoax news is in the news !!

SINGAPORE - A male Singaporean student below the age of 16 is currently assisting the police with investigations into a fake post announcing the death of former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect was believed to have modified an earlier 2010 PMO media statement hosted on the PMO website.
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... g7Vfm.dpuf

PS, I always feel a bit amused to see youngsters, most of whom aren't even working, venting their anger towards the ruling party .. maybe the govt need to enroll them in serious military programs to mind control them, at a young age :p :p or they are just taking their well-to-do-parent's rants seriously ..

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:12 am

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:36 am

I find it amazing Singaporeans, especially Chinese live for so long. We Indians would consider ourselves lucky if we can get to 75, we usually die quick death, though, heart attacks or something similar.

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 8:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
PS, I always feel a bit amused to see youngsters, most of whom aren't even working, venting their anger towards the ruling party .. maybe the govt need to enroll them in serious military programs to mind control them, at a young age :p :p or they are just taking their well-to-do-parent's rants seriously ..
Likely a result of the younger generation placing a greater emphasis on higher order needs. It's the 35+ year olds that admire LKY due to the struggle of their earlier lives and the improvements since then.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 9:59 am

ecureilx wrote:PS, I always feel a bit amused to see youngsters, most of whom aren't even working, venting their anger towards the ruling party ..
maybe the govt need to enroll them in serious military programs to mind control them, at a young age :p :p
or they are just taking their well-to-do-parent's rants seriously ..
- An analogy might be suggesting that no one (especially the young and/or unemployed) can criticise the UK Conservative Party, after all Winston Churchill led the country to victory in WW2 and that was the political party that he led. Or alternatively, criticism of Winston Churchill, perhaps the UK's greatest national icon of the past century after the Queen, is an arrestable offence. Or [?] that no one can criticise the late Lord Soames, Churchill's grandson, and latterly the Leader of the House of Lords. On the contrary Churchill fought for precisely the opposite, for liberty, including the right to free speech.

I agree that there is a sense that 'the young' can never understand the hardships of the past, or the scale of the sacrifices that went into providing many of us today with the liberty that we have. But I don't think those historical sacrifices were made with an expectation that we'd forever after be required to look back in silent reverence.

I do think though, that just in terms of simple human respect and decency that this not the time to be criticising the life of LKY.

--- I'd like to note here, that when I wrote the above I had not heard this mornings news that LKY has passed away.
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:07 am

JR8 wrote:
I do think though, that just in terms of simple human respect and decency that this not the time to be criticising the life of LKY.
Agreed
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:21 am

JR8 wrote:Or [?] that no one can criticise the late Lord Soames, Churchill's grandson, and latterly the Leader of the House of Lords. On the contrary Churchill fought for precisely the opposite, for liberty, including the right to free speech.
I thought he married Churchill's daughter?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:34 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Or [?] that no one can criticise the late Lord Soames, Churchill's grandson, and latterly the Leader of the House of Lords.
I thought he married Churchill's daughter?
Agh, good call, and thanks for pointing that out! He looked pretty much like WC and is closely associated with the memory of him, hence my error.

[/Really weird when you think you know something that is also popularly taken as a fact, and then someone points out that it is not the case at all :o ]

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:05 am

JR8 wrote: - An analogy might be suggesting that no one (especially the young and/or unemployed) can criticise the UK Conservative Party, after all Winston Churchill led the country to victory in WW2 and that was the political party that he led. Or alternatively, criticism of Winston Churchill, perhaps the UK's greatest national icon of the past century after the Queen, is an arrestable offence. Or [?] that no one can criticise the late Lord Soames, Churchill's grandson, and latterly the Leader of the House of Lords. On the contrary Churchill fought for precisely the opposite, for liberty, including the right to free speech.
I think the issue here is/was, not about being allowed to criticise, but more like what did he do to teenagers for them to have so much blind anger ..

Take the Toa Payoh spray painting, all teenagers, and likewise the guy who made the fake news on LKY, below 16

Maybe it's all teenage rebellion gone wrong :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:18 am

ecureilx wrote: Maybe it's all teenage rebellion gone wrong :)
It's teenage rebellion as it always has been. Anyway, maybe better we don't veer the topic down this path...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:21 am

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Maybe it's all teenage rebellion gone wrong :)
It's teenage rebellion as it always has been. Anyway, maybe better we don't veer the topic down this path...
O:)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:52 am

With all these criticisms and acts of defiance, it's safe to say the that LKY's love and dedication to Singapore was never in doubt. Agree or disagree with his decisions, he did what he did because he truly believed those were the best courses of action at the time.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 2:55 pm

here is an article i found in one of the Indian newspapers, I agree with LKY on his views on India

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... idgetPromo
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 3:00 pm

and one more from 1990 archives of the Hindu

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 946036.ece
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late