Singapore Expats

Arrest visible on Criminal Record?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Wayok94

Arrest visible on Criminal Record?

Post by Wayok94 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:27 am

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't notice any better section to post my question.

So, the other day I was arrested for "breaking in" to an office (I actually just walked in but they consider it as breaking in) and I threw some items around, however I do not remember any of it as I had had a few too many drinks.

I am currently on bail for 2 weeks and the officer said I most likely will just receive a warning, I offered to pay for any damages I may have caused. So the main thing I am really worried about is whether or not this will show on my criminal record back in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)?

If any other information could be of use I can provide it.

Kind regards.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Arrest visible on Criminal Record?

Post by martincymru » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 8:59 am

No offence (excuse the pun !) but I am amazed what people ask on this Forum.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 9:28 am

Wayok94 wrote:Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't notice any better section to post my question.

So, the other day I was arrested for "breaking in" to an office (I actually just walked in but they consider it as breaking in) and I threw some items around, however I do not remember any of it as I had had a few too many drinks.

I am currently on bail for 2 weeks and the officer said I most likely will just receive a warning, I offered to pay for any damages I may have caused. So the main thing I am really worried about is whether or not this will show on my criminal record back in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)?

If any other information could be of use I can provide it.

Kind regards.
The answer? "It depends". Your official UK Record? No probably not. If someone in the UK runs a background check which consults Singapore's records? Maybe. Depends if they dismiss it or not.

Why the freak did you do this? I hope they deport you, moron.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:41 am

threw stuff around like ?

or like this ?

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:52 am

Wayok94 wrote:I am currently on bail for 2 weeks and the officer said I most likely will just receive a warning, I offered to pay for any damages I may have caused. So the main thing I am really worried about is whether or not this will show on my criminal record back in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? If any other information could be of use I can provide it.
A UK-CRB file only includes offences committed in the UK. So this matter will not appear on your 'UK record'. There probably is some form of globally accessible database of serious crime [Interpol etc], but what you describe clearly isn't a candidate for it.

Can a UK employer get a copy of say your SGn record? Not that I know of.
Would a UK employer require you to get copies of the equivalent of a CRB file for any countries you have lived in abroad? I very much doubt it myself [just my 2c]. Indeed I imagine once you have left SG that you yourself are probably not able to get a copy of any such record, given for example that you're not here to prove your ID at a police station...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:53 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:threw stuff around like ?
Probably

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

or
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

or

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

or

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

or

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:13 am

martincymru wrote:No offence (excuse the pun !) but I am amazed what people ask on this Forum.
and on a gloomy Monday morning .. that deserves credit !!!

RATM: well, I remember lot of things that 'may' have happened when I was sloshed, but throwing things around wouldn't be one of them ..

Did OP mean smashed stuff, instead of throwing things around - latter sounding harmless !!

A good friend who works for a private security firm did say they do get employers asking to vet those who formerly were employed in Singapore .. I never asked how much info with SPF reveal to such agencies !

PS, talking about throwing stuff, I did have a gf, who once got mad at me, and when she left my apartment, she decided to throw things around.

Being a very gentle creature, she tore up some newspaper sheets into small pieces and scattered them around my room, and when I came back, I was initially mad, then I realised all it needed was a vacuum clean and done !!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 1:01 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:threw stuff around like ?
Probably

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

or
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

or

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

or

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

or

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
lol flipping table meme :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 1:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:
martincymru wrote:No offence (excuse the pun !) but I am amazed what people ask on this Forum.
and on a gloomy Monday morning .. that deserves credit !!!
Looking at his time stamp of his post, that was 2 hrs and 45 minutes, give or take, before Monday really became gloomy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:20 am

Your UK record won't be an issue. Getting visas and other passes to other countries; particularly the USA and Canada may become an issue. If you need a visa for the USA you need to state usually if you have ever been arrested - BANG. If you apply for certain jobs you need to sometimes answer the same question.

In reality though, as another poster mentioned, your Singapore record won't be a accessible by strangers but it may be requested via yourself if you have lived long enough in Singapore for it to become a period where a background check is necessary, IME this is normally 12 months or longer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!