Singapore Expats

Drives not yielding for Ambulances or Fire Trucks

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nakatago

Re: Drives not yielding for Ambulances or Fire Trucks

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:50 pm

What is a good solution so that vehicles will get out of the way and why is it a cow catcher?

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:59 pm

It was originally called a cow catcher as they were used on early US trains as cattle were free range cattle so could be found most anywhere including the railroad tracks. The cow catcher catches the cow before it goes under the front of the engine and can potentially derail the train. This way, the are probably killed but shunted to the side just like those cars.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 1:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It was originally called a cow catcher as they were used on early US trains as cattle were free range cattle so could be found most anywhere including the railroad tracks. The cow catcher catches the cow before it goes under the front of the engine and can potentially derail the train. This way, the are probably killed but shunted to the side just like those cars.

Zoinks...it's supposed to mean "why is a cow catcher a good way to get vehicles out of the way."

:P

It's like, "Who's the crankiest mod and why is it SMS?"

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 2:18 pm

:tongue: :shooting:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Here is what happens in India (of late) which is heartening to see..
but normally I've seen vehicles tailgating ambulances so they can get signal free access too. Thats pretty shameful

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... for-inter- state-heart-transplant/articleshow/41648762.cms
In the US that is pretty hard to do, as the space directly behind the ambulance is usually taken up around 3 cars deep by Ambulance chasing lawyers! :-|
They would if they could. :shock:

However, in most states, it is illegal to follow an emergency vehicle answering an emergency call.
The minimum distance typically is 200-500 feet and varies by state: e.g. NY-200 ft., CA-300 ft., AZ-500 ft.

Yes, there was a time when ambulance chasing happened, but doing this now violates Rule 7.3 of the American Bar Association Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
In fact, soliciting clients at the scene of an accident is currently illegal under California law.

So, some legal firms now hire investigators and then advertise that their “investigators are already attempting to determine if this terrible accident could have been handled differently.
#-o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 1:24 pm

Gotta admit, I've not been a regular driver over there for nigh on 32 years now. :?

Wow! You used lawyer and ethics in the same paragraph! :o

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 2:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Gotta admit, I've not been a regular driver over there for nigh on 32 years now. :?
Wow! You used lawyer and ethics in the same paragraph! :o
Other than occasional visits also have not been a regular driver there for quite awhile (but just 20 years for me).
It's kind of strange to drive on roadways where the lanes are so wide.

Nope, couldn't use "lawyer" and the e-word in the same paragraph.
My active grammar check wouldn't let me.
:P

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 7:17 pm

I'm trying to make sense of the zebra crossing rule. It seems you must risk self by either placing your foot on the crossing or have another limb sticking out over the road for a car to slow down and then stop. Only then is an impatient wave given to hurry up. Eye contact does not seem to be de rigueur and body language of the pedestrian is often ignored/not seen. The curious crossing antics seem to also apply to slip-lanes at intersections.

:???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:27 am

Nihility wrote:I'm trying to make sense of the zebra crossing rule. It seems you must risk self by either placing your foot on the crossing or have another limb sticking out over the road for a car to slow down and then stop. Only then is an impatient wave given to hurry up. Eye contact does not seem to be de rigueur and body language of the pedestrian is often ignored/not seen. The curious crossing antics seem to also apply to slip-lanes at intersections.

:???:
Even if you're halfway through, cars wouldn't even right away slow down. I'm talking from experience. :x

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 9:13 pm

nakatago wrote:What is a good solution so that vehicles will get out of the way and why is it a cow catcher?

I could very much do with one of these on my truck in KL! That would fix the issue of mental drivers and insane traffic!
nutnut