Singapore Expats

Working near Lavender MRT - where should I stay ?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
powerofnow

Working near Lavender MRT - where should I stay ?

Post by powerofnow » Sat, 07 Mar 2015 3:55 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I've never joined any forums before - So if I were to make any forum faux pas, I sincerely apologize in advance.

I have been offered a job to work in Singapore starting next month, and I will be moving to Singapore by the end of this month.

My workplace will be situated near Lavender MRT, and I was wondering if there are any other alternative places to live at which wouldn't be too far from the city, not too expensive (SGD 650 and above), and would not take up an hour of commuting time.

I was told to rent rooms along the green line, but I found that rooms at Lavender/Bugis were very expensive. Locals have also told me to avoid living around Aljunied/Kallang/Geyland area.

I would consider other lines if it would not tremendously increase my commuting time, would any one kindly offer your suggestions ? Thank you so much. :)

Search By

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Working near Lavender MRT - where should I stay ?

Post by Barnsley » Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:26 am

powerofnow wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I've never joined any forums before - So if I were to make any forum faux pas, I sincerely apologize in advance.

I have been offered a job to work in Singapore starting next month, and I will be moving to Singapore by the end of this month.

My workplace will be situated near Lavender MRT, and I was wondering if there are any other alternative places to live at which wouldn't be too far from the city, not too expensive (SGD 650 and above), and would not take up an hour of commuting time.

I was told to rent rooms along the green line, but I found that rooms at Lavender/Bugis were very expensive. Locals have also told me to avoid living around Aljunied/Kallang/Geyland area.

I would consider other lines if it would not tremendously increase my commuting time, would any one kindly offer your suggestions ? Thank you so much. :)
Pasir Ris / Tampines will have Hundreds of rooms that would suit your budget and its about 25mins on MRT from there to Lavendar.

Nothing wrong with Aljunied/Kallang/Geylang areas , folks should stop living in the past ....
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:39 am

my work place is Lavender, and there are loads and loads of rooms, thanks to the few newly built condos, if you are into condo living

my 2 cents, unless your work requires you to turn up very early or stay late night, don't fret too much about location

Preferably try to stay near friends, if you have .. and after all, unless you have a few late night drinks a week, and need to take a taxi, pretty much any place is ok ..

open up your mind

adding on to what Barnsley said, a lot of folks stereotype Geylang, and then go there for the famous char kway teow ..

and that place, except the few lorongs, has been updating itself .. so .. unless your address says between lorong 10 to lorong 24, don't bothe

actuallysg

Post by actuallysg » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:44 pm

Try looking at the HDBs along Bendemeer Road or if you don't mind a bit further around Nex / Serangoon MRT. There are direct buses which won't take more than 30 minutes to get you to Lavender MRT and at the same time you get some pretty good connections via the Purple MRT line. We moved to this area about 2 years ago and we find it's usually overlooked compared to the more popular housing areas. =)
“Why go through all the hassle of dealing with airlines, hotels, and rental-car agencies yourself, only to see the arrangements get all screwed up, when with just a single phone call you can have a trained professional screw them up for you?” :D

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:16 am

bus services are equally good especially in the city, try to look for accommodation for a place that is roughly 10-12 bus stops away or lesser(approx 30mins of travel by bus.) I think that would be a reasonable duration for travel.
you'll have to do some research on how many buses ply to your workplace and where do they go.
Draw a circle of radius equal to approx 10km around your workplace and start to look for rooms in and around that place.

these links maybe of use to you

1. http://cheeaun.github.io/busrouter-sg/#/services/12

2. http://gothere.sg/maps

using the first link I created something like this

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late