Singapore Expats

S pass renewal with dual nationalities

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
meaningless

S pass renewal with dual nationalities

Post by meaningless » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 9:25 pm

Hi,

I have passport A and B. My S Pass was applied on passport A. Now because passport A is going to expire in coming July (so that my current S Pass is going to expire in June) and I have to go back to my country for renewal, I renewed Passport B instead which doesn't need my presence. After that I approached my company's admin to help activate the renewal of my S Pass to my passport B, and submitted the form which stated the changes of passport number, nationality stated on the passport and the expiry date.

Days after, MOM emailed my company to confirm with them i am holding dual nationality. I confirmed about that.

My question is simple: why dy they want to ask and does that have anything to do with my S Pass? I only want to work here and do my PhD, i currently have no intention to apply for PR. (and i believe a S Pass is not eligible for such?)

thanks,
mls

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: S pass renewal with dual nationalities

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:11 pm

meaningless wrote:Hi,

I have passport A and B. My S Pass was applied on passport A. Now because passport A is going to expire in coming July (so that my current S Pass is going to expire in June) and I have to go back to my country for renewal, I renewed Passport B instead which doesn't need my presence. After that I approached my company's admin to help activate the renewal of my S Pass to my passport B, and submitted the form which stated the changes of passport number, nationality stated on the passport and the expiry date.

Days after, MOM emailed my company to confirm with them i am holding dual nationality. I confirmed about that.

My question is simple: why dy they want to ask and does that have anything to do with my S Pass? I only want to work here and do my PhD, i currently have no intention to apply for PR. (and i believe a S Pass is not eligible for such?)

thanks,
mls
Sounds like you may have just dumped yourself in the brown stuff bigtime. Depending on which two countries you hold, one may well have had your S pass approved, but the other may not be on the "desired" list. What in the heck were you thinking! Or you weren't thinking, which sounds like more the case. You pass is approved based on the nationality, academia, experience, age and remuneration. Change any one of those things and the resulting difference in the point spread may well find you out of a job and out of Singapore.

Good Luck. Trying to save some money may well cost you a whole lot more. Hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:43 pm

Plus PHD = Source for Future PR/Citizens, hence the generous Grants et al ..

You threw a spanner into their plans !!! :D

meaningless

Post by meaningless » Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:11 am

if that is so important. A is Hong Kong, B is British National (Overseas), where i don't have any right of abode in any places on Earth with the latter one. it is just considered as a travel document which everyone of us hop on that for convenience to travel in europe.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 Mar 2015 2:33 am

meaningless wrote:if that is so important. A is Hong Kong, B is British National (Overseas), where i don't have any right of abode in any places on Earth with the latter one. it is just considered as a travel document which everyone of us hop on that for convenience to travel in europe.
when you have two of the most popular passports, you can say that ..

Alas, for many Asians, that ease of travel is a bit too much of hassle ..

meaningless

Post by meaningless » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 1:48 am

my pass is renewed to another same duration, that means not a continuous of the old one. I got my IPA today, and it was fast cause in the original post the HR actually only submitted an amendment to MOM but not a renewal application. they only submitted the renewal application on 6th April and therefore it took me less than a week to get it.

i would comment that the processing time and treatments are the same whether you are holding HKSAR or BN(O). just go with the one that you like. btw if you submit your BN(O) for such, you nationality would be BN(O) instead of chinese. (that apparently goes with the nationality states on the travel document which you submitted.)