Singapore Expats

31 Male from Mumbai Moving with Wife & 6 month kid

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
varun.atim

31 Male from Mumbai Moving with Wife & 6 month kid

Post by varun.atim » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 3:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently accepted an offer to move to Singapore , i work for an Fortune 500 MNC.

I need some help to find the proper location for my house. My office will provide for a agent along with the agency fees. In general many people have suggested to stay at East Coast/ Orchid Road / Holland village.

I am ok to travel 45 minutes each was to work , but my priority is getting a very good house and amenities near by live parks / beaches / cafes / Shopping centers for my wife to enjoy her day.

Can people suggest me some locations / condos ?
- budget : 3000-3500 Per Month
- your workplace : CBD
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking : condo 2 bedroom +
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT- Yes would like a max 20 minute walk from my condo
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? No
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? No , i am Indian.

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Yes
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? beaches

hotandhumid

Re: 31 , Male from Mumbai Moving with Wife & 6 month kid

Post by hotandhumid » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 4:36 pm

East Coast would probably tick most of your boxes regarding lifestyle amenities such as the beach, parks, shopping centres. Rents are slightly cheaper there too compared with Orchard Road, albeit your budget is likely to only get you at most 100 sq m.

{yep, you are right. - moderator}
Lets air-condition the entire island please

varun.atim

Post by varun.atim » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks , with my family size i think 100 Sq.mtr should be ok.

I would get a agent from office , they shall be covering the agent fees , thanks for your offer, will get back if i need.

would i be getting a fully furnished condo with my budget ?

hotandhumid

Post by hotandhumid » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 5:49 pm

very unlikely to secure a condo that is fully-furnish in that budget range. Perhaps you could try negotiating for it as Singapore's is turning into a renter's market.
Note: few rental flats in Singapore come fully-furnished

varun.atim

Post by varun.atim » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 5:54 pm

I have been spending sometime on property websites Singapore, i could see quite a few furnished condo's around 3500 in district 15 & 16 in 2 km proximity from paya lebar MRT . Both district 15 & 16 are East coast right?

Is there something i am missing out ?

hotandhumid

Post by hotandhumid » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 3:20 pm

well, if that is what you see being advertised now, then perhaps it has turned into a renter's market faster than I had thought.
yes, D15 is considered East Coast. D16 is considered East. Key difference is that you have better access to the beaches in D15. Also, D16 (places like Bedok) tends to be quite congested.

maybe one thing to think about: consider if it is more worthwhile purchasing furniture (e.g. Ikea) rather than renting fully-furnished places. The risk with the latter is that you are liable for any damages that you cause. The beauty about the former is that you get to furnish the place to your taste.

varun.atim

Re: 31 Male from Mumbai Moving with Wife & 6 month kid

Post by varun.atim » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:29 am

I am moving in on 1 April, i have a company provided Service Apartment for 1 month.

My relocation agent has come back with few condo names like The Bayshore & Bayshore part. Atria By Meyers.

Any more suggestions in my Budget of 3000-3300 Sing $ per month range ?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:35 pm

varun.atim wrote:I am moving in on 1 April, i have a company provided Service Apartment for 1 month.

My relocation agent has come back with few condo names like The Bayshore & Bayshore part. Atria By Meyers.

Any more suggestions in my Budget of 3000-3300 Sing $ per month range ?
Have a look at your agent's suggestions and that will give you a feel for what is on offer and the areas. Looking at the property websites will then make a little more sense.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:00 pm

You could consider Parc Vista or Parc Oasis.

45 minutes gets you a long way in Singapore, but hard to know for sure what's within that time without zeroing in on your office address more than "CBD".

varun.atim

Post by varun.atim » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:19 pm

200-Cantonment Road would be the exact address.
Thank.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:29 pm

In that case, Chuan Park and Compass Heights should also be within a 45 minute commute and have 100+ sqm apartments for <= $3300/month leasing 1-2x monthly.

BTW I don't think you'll get there from The Bayshore within 45 minutes - more like one hour.

varun.atim

Post by varun.atim » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks i will check a few listings.

My agent came up with Atria at Meyers road 2 bed room condos in 3500 per month range. will also check those.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:47 pm

You'll get more consistent results if you fix your budget and commute requirements. Here you are asking for 45 minute commute and $3300 per month, but meanwhile your agent is showing you 1 hour or more commute and $3500? By doing that you risk wasting the time of multiple people including yourself.

varun.atim

Post by varun.atim » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 8:56 pm

Actually i just checked up on Google map before posting , Atria is 35 minutes from my work place by bus. Also confirmed by my agent.

if you have picked 45 mins form my first post you can also see my budget 300-3500.

If your in a hurry , you can kindly ignore my posts. 3500 asking can be negotiated a bit , and since i am new to Singapore i would like to explore options.

I just requested if any one has any other options , that i don't know off or my agent might have missed.
If you don't have anything constructive to add on to then don't waste your time posting. Am here to get some help , but not to subject myself to Internet bullying .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:05 pm

varun.atim wrote:Actually i just checked up on Google map before posting , Atria is 35 minutes from my work place by bus. Also confirmed by my agent.

if you have picked 45 mins form my first post you can also see my budget 300-3500.

If your in a hurry , you can kindly ignore my posts. 3500 asking can be negotiated a bit , and since i am new to Singapore i would like to explore options.

I just requested if any one has any other options , that i don't know off or my agent might have missed.
If you don't have anything constructive to add on to then don't waste your time posting. Am here to get some help , but not to subject myself to Internet bullying .
Then you are on the wrong board and you should exit immediately. This board is a free board and the advise you receive, helpful or otherwise is free. We don't force you to read our posts and we don't force newbies who don't like the way this forum has been successfully run for the last 11 years to stay here. We do expect you to learn how the flow of this board goes and realize that being an obnoxious newbie trying to dictate to people who know this city a hell of a lot better than you do, is not a good way to start off. So please, don't get your knickers in a bunch and chillax or find another ballpark to play in. Why is it that sub-continentals have such thin skins and such short fuses. At least, that's what the some local gals here in Singapore, who made the mistake of dating one, tell me. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers