Singapore Expats

Question about Fiber installation

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
russch

Question about Fiber installation

Post by russch » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:15 am

Hey Folks -

I have MyRepublic coming out in a little bit more than a week, and I have a question about how Fiber installs generally go. I'm in a new (rented) apartment with a Fiber Termination Point inside a small utility closet in my place.

Where will the installer tech locate the ONT? Do they generally try to put it right next to the Termination point? This would be bad for me as I'd prefer to have the ONT in my home office (maybe 10 meters away) close to my machines. I'll want to use the net taps on my router to have hard connections between my machines vs. only replying on wireless.

Questions:
  • Will the install techs generally do a small run of fiber from the Termination Point to a different location in my home and stick the ONT there?

Considering I'm renting, is this non-destructive?
If worse comes to worse I guess I could stuck ONT/Router in the closet near the Termination Point, but that would make me sad.

Thanks!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Re: Question about Fiber installation

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:49 am

I had a fiber installation done in a rented HDB apartment last year (Singtel). There was no connection point in the apartment it had to come from the utility room outside the apartment door.

The engineer was quite happy to run 6 meters of cable in self adhesive plastic trunking to put the ONT where I wanted it. Given it is just self adhesive my Landlord agreed it was not destructive and allowed it.

Of course when I leave this apartment if some monkey rips the trunking off the walls and damages the paint I am sure the landlord will deduct the repair from my deposit! The point is even if it looks non destructive you may want to carefully put things back as they were yourself before you leave :wink:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:56 pm

Adhesive taping the plastic trunking to the walls can be very treacherous. Whether you can easily recover the surface depends on both the paint and the tape.
I had once a combination that took me some 2 hours to recover the walls for a 4 m trunking. The paint adhered very well to the walls and so was the tape to the pain literally impregnating it.

More common scenario is the tape removing the paint when the trunking is removed. It still needs to be touched (sanding, painting) but it is a lesser kind of disaster.

Don't count on a clean removal. It happens, but more frequently one of the the above, or the trunking would just fall down.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:58 pm

x9200 wrote:Adhesive taping the plastic trunking to the walls can be very treacherous. Whether you can easily recover the surface depends on both the paint and the tape.
I had once a combination that took me some 2 hours to recover the walls for a 4 m trunking. The paint adhered very well to the walls and so was the tape to the pain literally impregnating it.

More common scenario is the tape removing the paint when the trunking is removed. It still needs to be touched (sanding, painting) but it is a lesser kind of disaster.
Yes I agree. What I tend to do is run a sharp stanley knife blade between the wall and the trunking then use WD40 (the lubricant not our fine forum colleague!) to loosen the adhesive. Its a bit time consuming but reduces the risk of pulling the paint off.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 1:33 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Yes I agree. What I tend to do is run a sharp stanley knife blade between the wall and the trunking then use WD40 (the lubricant not our fine forum colleague!) to loosen the adhesive. Its a bit time consuming but reduces the risk of pulling the paint off.
Most paints, even washable ones are porous. Using WD40 may equal to a disaster during the next wall painting, even if the wall is throughly washed with a detergent.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 1:40 pm

Just leave the ONT point installed for the next tenant?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 6:44 pm

PNGMK wrote:Just leave the ONT point installed for the next tenant?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 9:48 pm

Raj, you're on a roll today! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 9:53 pm

PNGMK wrote:Just leave the ONT point installed for the next tenant?
^ This.

I've also entered the second phase of the endless nightmare that is Fibre - what an effort it is.... :shock:

Anyway, now that I'm entering for the "3 to 5 day wait on activation" which, mind you, took numerous calls to discover, will eventually 'work', I guess.

Back to the OP; OpenNet will determine the most suitable location that in all likelihood will result in plastic pipes along the walls of your house, so challenge them on their initial "expert" judgement and see what Plan B they can offer. You'll be surprised what you can get out of the installers.

Also, is your closet reinforced with concrete? If so, you'll kill the signal. Get a good router and you can feed your home with a decent signal from almost anywhere in standard size apartment.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 12:04 pm

Leaving the ONT point installed for the next tenant if the LL has not agreed to have it there permanently may remove a nice chunk of money from your deposit. I would not do it without written permission from the LL.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:23 pm

x9200 wrote:Leaving the ONT point installed for the next tenant if the LL has not agreed to have it there permanently may remove a nice chunk of money from your deposit. I would not do it without written permission from the LL.
This ^^

I would advise leaving as you found it that is what I intend to do.

With regard to WD40 on the walls for tape residue I have never had an issue, have done it many times and painted over the area with no ill effect. Of course I take the point that under certain circumstances it might be an issue so OP don't hold me responsible :wink: