Singapore Expats

Heart breaking PR application, snot and tears evywhere

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Don no how to say

Heart breaking PR application, snot and tears evywhere

Post by Don no how to say » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:26 am

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015
First time Singapore PR Rejected. Writing while crying XD...

Little information about myself
1. 26 years old Male Chinese with master degree (NUS), another part-time master degree(NUS) in process, earning Basic Salary SGD 3400 and worked as a bank analyst holding EP.
2. Studying FRM and CFA.
3. 1.5yr working exp, and stayed in Singapore for 3.5 years.
4. Came to Singapore on mid 2011 to start my first master degree.
5. Paid income tax since 2013 start working.
6. After my first submission of PR application Nov 2014, in Feb 2015 I changed my job and was promoted as a senior officer while basic salary rising to SGD 4000.

My PR application was rejected yesterday and it is what is written:

"I refer to your application for permanent residence. After careful assessment, we regret to inform you that your application is not successful. Nevertheless, you can continue to work and reside here on your valid Work Pass .

Questions:
1. Since I got promoted a little bit and have an increase in my salary. Should I appeal or just resubmit my application. Or wait for another 6 months or 1 year or 2 year to reapply。

2. I have browsed through some of the topic in the forum saying such kind of reply from ICA is the worst one means the door is closed to you. So should I give up hope and have a plan B.

Any thanks for viewing and look forward to hearing back from your opinions.

tom_box

Re: Heart breaking PR application, snot and tears evywhere

Post by tom_box » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:58 am

Just call the MOM or send them an email and ask them what is the reason for rejection. They would usually give you some indication as to why it was rejected. If you think the circumstances changed you could appeal, if nothing changed then no reason to appeal. In other words, ask the MOM directly and politely.

The fact that you study for FRM or CFA does not really change anything, because there is no law or regulation that would say that people who study for FRM or CFA should get a PR and people who don't should not get a PR. The MOM will always follow their own rules so you are best advised to call them or e-mail them.

Don no how to say

Post by Don no how to say » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 1:04 am

tom_box wrote:Just call the MOM or send them an email and ask them what is the reason for rejection. They would usually give you some indication as to why it was rejected. If you think the circumstances changed you could appeal, if nothing changed then no reason to appeal. In other words, ask the MOM directly and politely.

The fact that you study for FRM or CFA does not really change anything, because there is no law or regulation that would say that people who study for FRM or CFA should get a PR and people who don't should not get a PR. The MOM will always follow their own rules so you are best advised to call them or e-mail them.
Thanks for the reply. I got confused a little bit. Is MOM involved in? Is it the ICA that is supposed to make the decision?

tom_box

Post by tom_box » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 1:25 am

Don no how to say wrote:Thanks for the reply. I got confused a little bit. Is MOM involved in? Is it the ICA that is supposed to make the decision?
Sorry, contact the ICA, not the MOM. Thank them for considering your application and ask politely if they could advise you on the reason for rejection.

Regarding the rest, don't worry, you are working hard, you have EP, a job in a bank, a good university degree, you got promoted, you will have FRM and CFA, and you are still young... no reason to cry!

Keep relaxed and keep doing the good job. Sometime we want everything to happen at once, a promotion, a PR, a pay increase, etc. Everything has its time. It is a journey, keep going, and you get there.

Don no how to say

Post by Don no how to say » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 1:56 am

tom_box wrote:
Don no how to say wrote:Thanks for the reply. I got confused a little bit. Is MOM involved in? Is it the ICA that is supposed to make the decision?
Sorry, contact the ICA, not the MOM. Thank them for considering your application and ask politely if they could advise you on the reason for rejection.

Regarding the rest, don't worry, you are working hard, you have EP, a job in a bank, a good university degree, you got promoted, you will have FRM and CFA, and you are still young... no reason to cry!

Keep relaxed and keep doing the good job. Sometime we want everything to happen at once, a promotion, a PR, a pay increase, etc. Everything has its time. It is a journey, keep going, and you get there.
That is really encouraging. Thanks for the answer. I am thinking it would be really weird if they actually grant me the PR, since policy is quite strict these days. But as some one has said : If you want good thing, you first have to give out sth precious. Maybe I have not given out enough of it. XD

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 8:29 am

tom box is blowing smoke out his arse. Neither MOM nor ICA gives rejection reasons other than generalities... otherwise every Tom, Dick, Harry, Dipak, Hari, and Rajinder would be filling out applications to get around the rejection reason.

Your salary is too low. It's still too low even at 4K. You haven't been here long enough... why didn't you wait to collect three years of payslips as advised? You have hurt your chances with a premature application.

ICA isn't going to care about multiple masters degrees. You already have one. Why are you working so cheap with a masters degree? That's what ICA wants to know... you look to them as a person with no high income potential. I have to tell you, friend, that being a 'senior officer' at 4K per month is bullsh*t... skilled techs with 5 years experience make twice that.

If it were I, I might inform ICA by way of a letter, that I had been promoted and had a salary increase... then leave it at that. I don't think your appeal on the basis of a $400 wage increase has merit. Let them know you are moving up... do it each time you have a change in circumstance... and when you hit the three years, try it again.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 9:48 am

tom_box wrote:Thank them for considering your application and ask politely if they could advise you on the reason for rejection.
Are you for real? hahahahahahahahahaha. They don't give you reasons for rejection as they don't need to see tailor made applications. Tom, crawl back in your box and close the lid. #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:52 am

OP: Since you are young, perhaps you should consider developing urself in an area which Singapore needs.

Given the OP is chinese, I feel its the nature of his job (bank analyst and now senior officer) which makes his application generic. I think 3.5 yrs stay with NUS MS is actually not bad.

I applied in 2013 April with 6 months work in Singapore and 1 tax assessment where I did not really pay anything. But I did study for 5 yrs in Singapore and I work in data analytics, which is in demand. I feel my education and work domain helped more than the length of work and taxes. And, I am an indian.

Do something harder and tougher which Singapore needs and values.

Don no how to say

Post by Don no how to say » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:tom box is blowing smoke out his arse. Neither MOM nor ICA gives rejection reasons other than generalities... otherwise every Tom, Dick, Harry, Dipak, Hari, and Rajinder would be filling out applications to get around the rejection reason.

Your salary is too low. It's still too low even at 4K. You haven't been here long enough... why didn't you wait to collect three years of payslips as advised? You have hurt your chances with a premature application.

ICA isn't going to care about multiple masters degrees. You already have one. Why are you working so cheap with a masters degree? That's what ICA wants to know... you look to them as a person with no high income potential. I have to tell you, friend, that being a 'senior officer' at 4K per month is bullsh*t... skilled techs with 5 years experience make twice that.

If it were I, I might inform ICA by way of a letter, that I had been promoted and had a salary increase... then leave it at that. I don't think your appeal on the basis of a $400 wage increase has merit. Let them know you are moving up... do it each time you have a change in circumstance... and when you hit the three years, try it again.

Thanks dude. That is very pertinent. I am just curious how much salary would be a decent number for applicant like me, so I can continue to improve. I will try apply when it hit three years instead of taking the appeal.

Don no how to say

Post by Don no how to say » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:50 pm

midlet2013 wrote:OP: Since you are young, perhaps you should consider developing urself in an area which Singapore needs.

Given the OP is chinese, I feel its the nature of his job (bank analyst and now senior officer) which makes his application generic. I think 3.5 yrs stay with NUS MS is actually not bad.

I applied in 2013 April with 6 months work in Singapore and 1 tax assessment where I did not really pay anything. But I did study for 5 yrs in Singapore and I work in data analytics, which is in demand. I feel my education and work domain helped more than the length of work and taxes. And, I am an indian.

Do something harder and tougher which Singapore needs and values.

Thanks for the advice.

tom_box

Post by tom_box » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 4:06 pm

Most people don't make huge money with 1.5 years of experience. After graduating, I was 1 year on internship earning 1000 dollars per month - which was great for an internship. My added value and income multiplied gradually but quickly with each year passing. Thus, I would not worry about how much someone earns 1.5 year after graduation, what matter is if he is on a good track, if he is working hard to improve his qualification and collects valuable years of experience. Obviously the conclusion here is to keep on the track, work towards your CFA or FMR as you planned. Good things come to those who wait. Nobody became a top-notch expert managing a large team 1.5 years after graduation. You are still young, so don't stress out. Good luck!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:23 pm

tom_box wrote:Most people don't make huge money with 1.5 years of experience. After graduating, I was 1 year on internship earning 1000 dollars per month - which was great for an internship. My added value and income multiplied gradually but quickly with each year passing. Thus, I would not worry about how much someone earns 1.5 year after graduation, what matter is if he is on a good track, if he is working hard to improve his qualification and collects valuable years of experience. Obviously the conclusion here is to keep on the track, work towards your CFA or FMR as you planned. Good things come to those who wait. Nobody became a top-notch expert managing a large team 1.5 years after graduation. You are still young, so don't stress out. Good luck!
Get back in your box tom./
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

tom_box

Post by tom_box » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 7:14 pm

PNGMK wrote: Get back in your box tom./
I disapprove online mockery of any form. You been around for quite a bit on this forum, and you have great experience and knowledge. I appreciate your wider perspective on things, but you should not use it to show your superiority and mock newcomers with less experience. I am sure that are areas where I could send you in the box too, but that is not a point of communication.

Regarding my view on the original poster (OP), my strong view is that there is no reason for tears. My aim is always to motive others to keep on their track and do what they are passionate about. I am convinced, that with that in mind, anyone is cable to achieve their personal aims. If the OP does that, in a couple or dozen of years he could send PNGMK, me, or anyone else in the box too.