Singapore Expats

Is it possible to lose PR even after national service?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kma88

Is it possible to lose PR even after national service?

Post by kma88 » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:39 am

For a second generation male PR who has served national service (but does not take up citizenship), would he possibly lose or unable to renew his PR status under these circumstances?

- Say after NS he goes overseas to study and then work, and stays overseas for an extended period of time (5, 10, 15 years), during which time his REP is up for renewal

- a recession hits Singapore after NS and he is unemployed

I have asked ICA previously and they just gave me a standard response - "will be based on the individual's merits"

nakatago

Re: Is it possible to lose PR even after national service?

Post by nakatago » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:27 am

kma88 wrote:For a second generation male PR who has served national service (but does not take up citizenship), would he possibly lose or unable to renew his PR status under these circumstances?

- Say after NS he goes overseas to study and then work, and stays overseas for an extended period of time (5, 10, 15 years), during which time his REP is up for renewal

I have asked ICA previously and they just gave me a standard response - "will be based on the individual's merits"
Just quoting as this is an interesting case.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Is it possible to lose PR even after national service?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 12:03 pm

kma88 wrote:For a second generation male PR who has served national service (but does not take up citizenship), would he possibly lose or unable to renew his PR status under these circumstances?

REP renewal now for long term absentee PR's seems to be tricky - regardless of whether NS has been done.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!