Singapore Expats

PR application and employment contract

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nixnix

PR application and employment contract

Post by nixnix » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 6:57 pm

Hey peeps,

I recall seeing one poster say his PR application was rejected due to his "contract job status" (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 8&t=104482). This surprised me as I don’t think it is asked anywhere on the PR application whether the employment is contract based or permanent and I didn’t think it would make any difference as long as it is stable. I can’t even think of how they would even know, unless they called up the HR department. Unless it’s recorded in your EP data (I don’t think it is) or if his employment record consisted of lots of short batch jobs. Also, I was under the impression they don’t typically let you know the reason for the rejection.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on whether contract/permanent affects your PR application odds?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by nixnix on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR application and employment contract

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 8:08 pm

nixnix wrote:Hey peeps,

I recall seeing one poster say his PR application was rejected due to his "contract job status" (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 8&t=104482). This surprised me as I don’t it is asked anywhere on the PR application whether the employment is contract based or permanent and I didn’t think it would make any difference as long as it is stable. I can’t even think of how they would even know, unless they called up the HR department. Unless it’s recorded in your EP data (I don’t think it is) or if his employment record consisted of lots of short batch jobs. Also, I was under the impression they don’t typically let you know the reason for the rejection.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on whether contract/permanent affects your PR application odds?

Thank you in advance.
From a baby chicken,

Sure a contract job could affect your PR application. ICA will know that contract jobs usually end in a matter of a couple of months or a couple of years at the most. If you typically work contract jobs you don't have stable employment, therefore ICA isn't going to take a chance on you becoming a ward of the state, unemployed bum. so, yeah, they 'can' reject you for that. In fact, they can reject you just because they don't like the way you look. No, they don't normally give you a reason for rejection, but in that guys case, he screwed himself by not updating his address and further job hopping. Singapore has enough job hopping citizens without giving job hopping FTs PR as well.

peep, peep.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 8:22 pm

nixnix wrote:Hey peeps,

I recall seeing one poster say his PR application was rejected due to his "contract job status" (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 8&t=104482). This surprised me as I don’t it is asked anywhere on the PR application whether the employment is contract based or permanent and I didn’t think it would make any difference as long as it is stable. I can’t even think of how they would even know, unless they called up the HR department. Unless it’s recorded in your EP data (I don’t think it is) or if his employment record consisted of lots of short batch jobs. Also, I was under the impression they don’t typically let you know the reason for the rejection.

Thank you in advance.
If it is a rolling contract, they probably wouldn't know unless, somewhere on your payslip it is mentioned in your designation or some other clue, for example, if the nomenclature for employee id on the payslip is different for contractors v/s employees.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:19 pm

Wd40 wrote:If it is a rolling contract, they probably wouldn't know unless, somewhere on your payslip it is mentioned in your designation or some other clue, for example, if the nomenclature for employee id on the payslip is different for contractors v/s employees.
it is a bit odd that ICA did tell why the application was rejected

or was it a bit of theorizing by the OP ??

as long as you are employed with the same employer at the time of approval, there is no issue

If you had changed employer, you need to notify

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:29 pm

I think OP is just guessing, like lot of us are ;)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:35 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think OP is just guessing, like lot of us are ;)
+1

and imaging stuff that don't exist is not good for one's health ;)

nixnix

Post by nixnix » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

SMS, yeah I can see how job hopping could be a factor. So you think in his case, they simply looked at his job history? The way he tells the story makes it sound like it was always obvious when he was on contract and when permanent.

The scenario I had in mind is more like what Wd40 is saying, a stable job for several years in the same company with no job hopping, just that you have a contract that’s renewed annually instead of a “permanent” contract. I’d think that the key point for them should be stability, rather than the type of contract. Then again what do I know about their rationale.

I’ve been in a stable job for several years on a rolling contract, basically I’m just trying to figure out whether I would be better served trying to convert to a permanent contract in case there was some bias for that. Since it’s a stable job it doesn’t really make too much difference otherwise.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:18 pm

nixnix wrote: I’ve been in a stable job for several years on a rolling contract, basically I’m just trying to figure out whether I would be better served trying to convert to a permanent contract in case there was some bias for that. Since it’s a stable job it doesn’t really make too much difference otherwise.
Sorry to repeat, ICA wants to see 6 months pay slip, and tax clearence, and they don't ask to see your contract/employment terms

Unless ICA is doing something new, very new ..

nixnix

Post by nixnix » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 8:26 am

ecureilx wrote: Sorry to repeat, ICA wants to see 6 months pay slip, and tax clearence, and they don't ask to see your contract/employment terms
That's exactly what I was thinking, since they don't ask for it specifically it doesn't seem like that should be a major factor. But the OP in the other thread seemed certain that his contract status was a determining factor for his many applications so I was trying to figure out whether there was anything to it. The consensus seems to be that even if that had been a factor he wouldn’t have any way of actually knowing that (unless they actually stated that in his rejection letter which seems unlikely) and that he was probably just guessing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 8:30 am

nixnix wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking, since they don't ask for it specifically it doesn't seem like that should be a major factor. But the OP in the other thread seemed certain that his contract status was a determining factor for his many applications so I was trying to figure out whether there was anything to it. The consensus seems to be that even if that had been a factor he wouldn’t have any way of actually knowing that (unless they actually stated that in his rejection letter which seems unlikely) and that he was probably just guessing.
that's what he thought, and you also can thought the same thought, or thought a different thought :D :D