Singapore Expats

My Working visa for Singapore rejected

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
BrettLee123

My Working visa for Singapore rejected

Post by BrettLee123 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 7:14 pm

Hi, everyone.

Would appreciate if someone of you could enlighten me on what's happening re my employment pass applications.

Please see below

I came in to Singapore as social visit pass holder for 30days and luckily I got a job offer in weeks time and my employer referred me to their accredited agency who applied for my employment pass. The agency then informed me that my epass application was rejected as well as my s pass rejected and now is undergoing an appeal.

I am just wondering what are the chances that my appeal would get approved?

And would my job offer would just be wasted if I don't get an employment pass?

I have read somewhere that if you have a sponsor or got a job offer with an employer then you need not worry about the employment pass but I am know very stressful of thinking why my application for employment pass or s pass was rejected.

And I am now hoping and praying that my appeal be approved.

I do not want to go back to my country at this time because I do not want to leave my husband here who is currently a work permit holder.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you very much.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: My Working visa for Singapore rejected

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 8:43 pm

BrettLee123 wrote:Hi, everyone.

Would appreciate if someone of you could enlighten me on what's happening re my employment pass applications.

Please see below

I came in to Singapore as social visit pass holder for 30days and luckily I got a job offer in weeks time and my employer referred me to their accredited agency who applied for my employment pass. The agency then informed me that my epass application was rejected as well as my s pass rejected and now is undergoing an appeal.

I have read somewhere that if you have a sponsor or got a job offer with an employer then you need not worry about the employment pass but I am know very stressful of thinking why my application for employment pass or s pass was rejected.

I do not want to go back to my country at this time because I do not want to leave my husband here who is currently a work permit holder.

Please enlighten me.
Thank you very much.
I'm afraid you enlightenment is going to be short lived. If your company sponsor had to apply for an EP via a agency, the company is probably too small or to new or on MOM's undesirable list. Therefore, if the ticked the box to be considered for an S pass if not eligible for the EP itself, and you were still found wanting, unless your appeal has some outstanding new information that wasn't in the original application, you are just going to be rejected again. You should have asked to see the reason given for the rejection. If not eligible for the EP, then you would have been subjected to any quota the company/agency might have (and most who actually have quotas are not having any spare allocations available as they just decreased the cap for them which puts most employers with excess S pass holders above their quota. These people will not have their passes renewed when the time comes and will be sent packing. (I currently am 10 over quota myself across 4 companies).

Yes, that job is off the table in all probability. Normally, the rejection will have something like "not eligible under the current criteria" or "applicant should hunt for another position" or "company over quota". I'm afraid the prognosis isn't very good, truth be known. Not sure where you were reading, but the article is definitely out of date as this has not been a "foregone conclusion that you will get an EP" You cannot get an EP without an Employer Sponsor in any case, but it have been made progressively harder and harder since the 2011 General Election. A nosey around this site will give you numerous examples of the current problems, and this board is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck. But start thinking about plan B as frankly, I'm afraid you are out of luck and I hope you didn't cash in the return trip portion of your ticket that you arrived on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm afraid you enlightenment is going to be short lived. If your company sponsor had to apply for an EP via a agency, the company is probably too small or to new or on MOM's undesirable list..
that's what crossed my mind too

+1

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 8:45 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm afraid you enlightenment is going to be short lived. If your company sponsor had to apply for an EP via a agency, the company is probably too small or to new or on MOM's undesirable list..

+1
I've seen this posted a couple times and it has left me a bit curious.... my (large multi-national bank) employer uses an agency for all EP applications (including mine). This was also the case of my wife's (large multi-national bank) case.

It just seems at odds with concerns around use of an agent....

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 8:59 am

brian_singapore wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

+1
I've seen this posted a couple times and it has left me a bit curious.... my (large multi-national bank) employer uses an agency for all EP applications (including mine). This was also the case of my wife's (large multi-national bank) case.

It just seems at odds with concerns around use of an agent....
Smaller companies engaging smaller agents, see a lot of mess .. unlike large professional agents handling large employers.... (your's and your wife's employer would be of the latter category .. )

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 9:21 am

I'm sure the company name makes all the difference.

George_singaporian

Post by George_singaporian » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 5:19 pm

Too many variables and not enough info. It depends on a lot of factors. Education, positino offered, salary offered, etc.

If the company was willing to hire you they thought they could get you an EP. They have had it rejected but are not giving up. So far this is bad news followed by better news. Your only course of action is to wait out the appeal and see what happens.

If it is rejected try to find out the reason from the agency (although they may not get told) - if it was job/salary you may have a shot with a better job. If it was something intrinsic to your qualifications you may be in bigger trouble.

I am also assuming your husband's EP is not one which allows dependant sponsorship or you could go that route.

Good Luck! I hope you hear good news.

bumblebee007

Post by bumblebee007 » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 4:45 pm

BrettLee123 wrote:Hi, everyone.

Please see below

Please enlighten me.

Thank you very much.
The chances for getting approved after the appeal are very slim. Unless the position you were offered is extraordinary or you have some exceptional qualifications that can make the MOM officer think twice when going through the appeal. Ofcourse other factors are also cosidered.

colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 1:53 pm

Agreed with previous posters, I do not believe using any accredited agency regardless of what size it is, has any impact on your EP application.

I've now had direct experience using 3 small agencies, 2 for me & one for my wife. We chose different ones for different reasons but none were big & we engaged them directly, not through the company.

Each time we had our EP's approved in less than 5 days.

My experience is it comes down to Salary, experience & position in the organisation. If you don't have good ones of those, then education is the next big thing they look at. I do not have a university degree myself but have not had a problem.

In regards to the OP's scenario.. we need to know more in terms of these 4 things: salary, experience, position & education.

But agreed with the sentiments that once rejected difficult to appeal unless you missed out some facts to give to MOM or your employer is willing to up the game a little with more salary, better position or something like that.