Singapore Expats

The Oil and Gas Layoffs are starting

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

The Oil and Gas Layoffs are starting

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Jan 2015 7:58 pm

9000 in SLB globally, 7000 in WFT in the last two weeks. My local shop is looking to cut back and my division has cut 3 from about a 30 strong work force.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: The Oil and Gas Layoffs are starting

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Jan 2015 8:12 pm

Tx, La, Ok have been shedding positions for two or three months now. I reckon the cuts are starting to hit the office types now and not just the rig floor.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 18 Jan 2015 8:17 pm

Is this OPEC (i.e. KSA) putting the heat on non-OPEC members.... primarily Russia, with the US etc taking chaff on the side, or the KSA versus Iran? It's certainly confusing, all the back-room dealing/fixing from the OPEC cartel!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 1:06 am

There was a thread about Finance/IT job losses sometime back and someone there mentioned that O&G would be an alternative. Even then it was mentioned that it would remain viable as long as there is enough oil. Who would have thought at that point that the problem would be excess of oil!!!

Not that finance is doing any better now. The latest set of results by investment banks like JPM, GS and Citi have all been down.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 1:24 am

JR8 wrote:Is this OPEC (i.e. KSA) putting the heat on non-OPEC members.... primarily Russia, with the US etc taking chaff on the side, or the KSA versus Iran? It's certainly confusing, all the back-room dealing/fixing from the OPEC cartel!
Perhaps OPEC trying to crater unconventionals (shale/CSG etc) and a bit of politics in there (Saudi/USA beating up Putin).

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 8:10 am

So there will be no peak oil for a long time to come.
Once the US starts sharing their shale oil technology, everybody will start digging their own oil (5 trillion barrels).
Not a good news for the OPEC cartel (and the climate).

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 8:20 am

Wd40 wrote:There was a thread about Finance/IT job losses sometime back and someone there mentioned that O&G would be an alternative. Even then it was mentioned that it would remain viable as long as there is enough oil. Who would have thought at that point that the problem would be excess of oil!!!

Not that finance is doing any better now. The latest set of results by investment banks like JPM, GS and Citi have all been down.
May have been me, I thought it to be an alternative back then but got no traction switching to that industry. Forget the latest results, the CHF cap is the new pariah.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:30 pm

Brah wrote:May have been me, I thought it to be an alternative back then but got no traction switching to that industry. Forget the latest results, the CHF cap is the new pariah.
How can it be if it no longer exists? Maybe the Euro is the new, fore and square, pariah?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:10 pm

lets hope they made hay while the sun shines
they had it better than most of us the last couple of years...

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 5:20 pm

AndrewV wrote:lets hope they made hay while the sun shines
they had it better than most of us the last couple of years...
I know I did. I was hoping it would go for another 5 years. I still have a job I'm probably up the chop in two or three more layoffs... (I've got some juniors and a few expats in my team I can throw out first...).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 8:17 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ms-shatter

"Global Oil Layoffs Exceed 100,000"

bumblebee007

Post by bumblebee007 » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 5:23 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:So there will be no peak oil for a long time to come.
Once the US starts sharing their shale oil technology, everybody will start digging their own oil (5 trillion barrels).
Well it is likely the price would not go near or over $100 anytime soon, whats more likely is the further cut down of expansion plans n further layoffs from US shale oil companies n non-opec companies will bring down the stock pile of oil. This in turn will affect the oil prices to rebound (this is still few months ahead)

I heard from unofficial sources that in opec countries production of a barrel of oil costs around $20 while for US and asian oil companies it is around $50+ (especially for shale oil companies), with the current prices rallying around $50 these companies would not sustain for too long.

Asian companies might survive slightly longer as most of them will be supported by the state govt.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 7:59 pm

bumblebee007 wrote:
Well it is likely the price would not go near or over $100 anytime soon, whats more likely is the further cut down of expansion plans n further layoffs from US shale oil companies n non-opec companies will bring down the stock pile of oil. This in turn will affect the oil prices to rebound (this is still few months ahead)

I heard from unofficial sources that in opec countries production of a barrel of oil costs around $20 while for US and asian oil companies it is around $50+ (especially for shale oil companies), with the current prices rallying around $50 these companies would not sustain for too long.

Asian companies might survive slightly longer as most of them will be supported by the state govt.
In Saudi the cost to get it from the reservoir to the terminal and onto the ship is a few dollars (it was 60c/BBL around 2000). The Saudis can take it right down WE THINK... but a lot of reservoir experts I know claim that the major fields in Saudi are closer to depletion than the Saudis will admit.

bumblebee007

Post by bumblebee007 » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 8:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:
bumblebee007 wrote:

In Saudi the cost to get it from the reservoir to the terminal and onto the ship is a few dollars (it was 60c/BBL around 2000). The Saudis can take it right down WE THINK... but a lot of reservoir experts I know claim that the major fields in Saudi are closer to depletion than the Saudis will admit.
Thats correct!! Major fields are depleting but their exploration is not far behind. Saudi's are constantly exploring new fields for production and they have actually found new areas for production. Some places the production has already started and new ones being added as the time passes by.

Wonder what is happening to their exploration and drilling costs. I guess it would have gone up as most of O&G services companies need to make a living as well since they are not getting much business from non-opec countries.