Singapore Expats

Where to buy dinnerware in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Where to buy dinnerware in Singapore?

Post by Pal » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 3:29 pm

:shock:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 3:34 pm

zzm9980 wrote:"orchardgateway@emerald" yet another ridiculous place name... :roll:
Crate and Barrel is not cheap by any means in the US. I wonder how much the markup will be here...
Be positive, at least it's not called "D'orchardgateway@De'Emerald" :lol:

C+B. No idea here. But I found it a useful shop in the US, so thought it might go on the radar for consideration. Though yes, I'm sure it will have a mark-up here, and be pitched as a super-premium brand, vs the high street+ brand it is back 'home'...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 4:14 pm

It will be interesting to see if they bring the CB2 line here. It's supposed to be a competitor to Ikea, and in the same general price range. IMO higher quality stuff, but the styles are a bit too trendy...

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 8:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:It will be interesting to see if they bring the CB2 line here. It's supposed to be a competitor to Ikea, and in the same general price range. IMO higher quality stuff, but the styles are a bit too trendy...
You mean CB2 like the one at Peranakan Place?

http://www.cb2.com/Stores/peranakan-place/str569

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 9:33 am

I get most of my stuff from Sia Hut in temple street, they are a commercial supplier to the F&B industry, next door to them are a couple of commercial suppliers, Their prices are very reasonable and if you know someone in the FB business you can get a further 20 percent off.

Though a word of warning when you go there because everything is cheap and sold in bulk you end up with all sorts of junk, I just came back with 300m of cling film, 50 low hay extra long chopsticks, a huge KFC type deep fat fryer, and I love the rice cookers they sell so big you can have a bath in one.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:01 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It will be interesting to see if they bring the CB2 line here. It's supposed to be a competitor to Ikea, and in the same general price range. IMO higher quality stuff, but the styles are a bit too trendy...

That's the one. Didn't know it was open in Singapore. Can't pick Singapore from their website though to see local prices or what is in stock.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:04 am

QRM wrote:I get most of my stuff from Sia Hut in temple street, they are a commercial supplier to the F&B industry, next door to them are a couple of commercial suppliers, Their prices are very reasonable and if you know someone in the FB business you can get a further 20 percent off.

Though a word of warning when you go there because everything is cheap and sold in bulk you end up with all sorts of junk, I just came back with 300m of cling film, 50 low hay extra long chopsticks, a huge KFC type deep fat fryer, and I love the rice cookers they sell so big you can have a bath in one.
Sia Huat is the original, commercial version of Totts. Totts being the posh retail arm. A lot of the same items, cheaper at Sia Huat.

RyanTheLion

Post by RyanTheLion » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 1:25 pm

One of my colleague recommended me this online store http://www.therabbitburrow.com. I haven't had the time to check it out yet. will update you guys after I visit the site.

Thanks a lot for the other recommendations too. Will go do some look up on them. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 1:37 pm

At first I thought it was crockery for children... but I'm not sure :-k

It certainly is all pretty twee*, just look at their 'About' page :o

[*For those whom might be familiar with the word:-
'affectedly dainty or quaint: "twee writing about furry little creatures."]

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 8:47 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:

That's the one. Didn't know it was open in Singapore. Can't pick Singapore from their website though to see local prices or what is in stock.
Its just a couple of doors down from Orchard Gateway @ emerald where the Crate & Barrel is.

I was in there today, in the basement homewares section, anything you put on the dining table is 15% off (crockery/cutlery/glassware etc). And they have some nice, BIG (600ml) glasses, which seem hard to find in Singapore. [-o<

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 9:40 pm

'CB2' - an interesting choice of name. I wonder if they ran that past a local branding consultant.

'CB' is a polite and anonymised/coded abbreviation my wife and I occasionally use, and have done for many years. The Hokkien it directly derives from = [someone who is a] 'C***'.

So following the same connection, what might 'CB2' suggest? :???:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 8:55 am

JR8 wrote:'CB2' - an interesting choice of name. I wonder if they ran that past a local branding consultant.

'CB' is a polite and anonymised/coded abbreviation my wife and I occasionally use, and have done for many years. The Hokkien it directly derives from = [someone who is a] 'C***'.

I've been waiting for someone to point that out, just to prove that I'm not the only one thinking about this. :P

raverocks

Post by raverocks » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 3:02 pm

Hi I suggest if you are staying east side, you can drop by at The Giant in Tampines, it's right opposite IKEA and Courts Tampines. You can swing by all three places for stuff like electronics (Courts), furniture(IKEA) and grocery (Giant), they sell cutlery as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 3:53 pm

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:'CB2' - an interesting choice of name. I wonder if they ran that past a local branding consultant.

I've been waiting for someone to point that out, just to prove that I'm not the only one thinking about this. :P
At least it doesn't smell bad in the store. Then it would be CCB2? :cool:

kelly88

Post by kelly88 » Sun, 15 Feb 2015 8:49 pm

hi i am afraid you will be disappointing here, last time i came home my mother ordered it online there are not much good places to buy fine dining here